What power gen way is your way?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
I'm interested in what people use for power-gen mostly mid to late-game, because I want to do some upgrades and although my army of steam dynamos connected to my treefarm and sawmills is kinda cool, it's a bit complicated to set up.

TheOramgebananna

Jul 29, 2019
don't know if this is mid-late game, but i use enderio stirling generators running on the minechem element from glowstone.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Big reactors steam turbines
Even a Small Setup gives you 20k rf/t +
And its completely controllable by redstone or Computer craft

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
x64 Potion Generator being fed Splash Potions of Harming
Nether Star Generator
Magmatic Dynamos being fed lava produced entirely by bees

Oh and 18 28k RF/t Big Reactors turbines.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
On my infinity world, I made 4 big turbines and also made 160 (something like that) steam boilers from MFR....
You also might like going the solar route, making recipes for AE2 to make all of the components for the high end ones. They are VERY expensive no matter what point you are in the game, FYI.

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
A mix of ethanol engines and good old Buildcraft fuel to get going.

Then proceed to rock out the gas turbines for the heavy stuff.
65MW [roughly 130kRf/t] a shot with plenty of noise and danger to keep it interesting.​
That's big beautiful even number. :D I also realized, that it's quite hard to fully comprehend how much work is put into something like this considering all of the answers up until know feel a little underwhelming, and so does reading my own description. Maybe we need pictures here too, that would definitely help :D

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Mid-late game at the moment, I have Rotarycraft gas turbines running into a big bank of rotational dynamos pumping RF into a Draconic Evolution energy core.

My endgame power setup will be something Reactorcrafty

Reactions: ChemE

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so apperently Big Reactors isn't as easy the TheMindcrackers' video made it seem like. I'm gonna need to get some help to understand the intricacies

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
2015-08-07_11.02.44_zpsjy4pz7gg.png

2015-08-06_17.16.58_zpsbvaip28l.png

2015-08-06_17.15.46_zpsufvcrcua.png

Right now I'm still pretty firmly mid-game on my small server and I'm running a High Temperature Gas Reactor in the nether from ReactorCraft. It is making hot CO2 gas by the drum that I haul back to my 5-stage ammonia turbine which cranks out around 1.95GW (3,931,688RF/t). This feeds into two auroral batteries and a small fraction (4MW = 8,065RF/t) is converted via a rotational dynamo into RF to top off my resonant energy cell. My material processing this world is almost all courtesy of RotaryCraft (genius mod) which is giving me 7x ore multiplication at 1 ore/tick controlled with ComputerCraft so as not to waste any energy when no ore/dust/slurry/solution is present. Mining is also automatically happening at insane speeds in another dimension again courtesy of RoC (silk touch, efficiency V boring machine getting fed 268MW). Having done the BR/EnderIO/TE4 thing I'm having a blast doing things with RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft this world.

And for late game I'm planning a fusion reactor which makes my current setup look like a survivalist generator!

I should point out that my current 1.95GW setup looks cooler than a BR turbine, and is not generating any fps or tps lag. I keep my fps locked at 60 frames/second and it stays locked when I'm near my generating turbine. Also the server's tps hovers around 8ms when this thing is running or not.

Last edited:

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
2015-08-07_11.02.44_zpsjy4pz7gg.png

2015-08-06_17.16.58_zpsbvaip28l.png

2015-08-06_17.15.46_zpsufvcrcua.png

Right now I'm still pretty firmly mid-game on my small server and I'm running a High Temperature Gas Reactor in the nether from ReactorCraft. It is making hot CO2 gas by the drum that I haul back to my 5-stage ammonia turbine which cranks out around 1.95GW (3,931,688RF/t). This feeds into two auroral batteries and a small fraction (4MW = 8,065RF/t) is converted via a rotational dynamo into RF to top off my resonant energy cell. My material processing this world is almost all courtesy of RotaryCraft (genius mod) which is giving me 7x ore multiplication at 1 ore/tick controlled with ComputerCraft so as not to waste any energy when no ore/dust/slurry/solution is present. Mining is also automatically happening at insane speeds in another dimension again courtesy of RoC (silk touch, efficiency V boring machine getting fed 268MW). Having done the BR/EnderIO/TE4 thing I'm having a blast doing things with RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft this world.

And for late game I'm planning a fusion reactor which makes my current setup look like a survivalist generator!

I should point out that my current 1.95GW setup looks cooler than a BR turbine, and is not generating any fps or tps lag. I keep my fps locked at 60 frames/second and it stays locked when I'm near my generating turbine. Also the server's tps hovers around 8ms when this thing is running or not.
As I've said earlier pictures really do help :D This looks amazing and now I'm wondering if I should add Reactor and RotaryCraft to my world. I have to look into world gen but I'll figure that out. Also the 7x ore looks really appealing especially because I've only seen more than double in Mekanism. Also, did you say "mid-game"? I'm kinda scared how much RF can an end-game setup produce if mid-game is almost 4 million. :D

Edit: Well, I'm not happy about the fact that ReactorCraft adds a bunch of ores I've never even seen, and because of that I guess I'll have to retrogen, but at least Rotarycraft doesn't gen anything :D

Last edited:

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
By mid game I usually have a decent sized passive reactor something like 5 x 3 tall cores. Late is always turbines. Usually putting out well over 100k rf/t before i quit.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
As I've said earlier pictures really do help :D This looks amazing and now I'm wondering if I should add Reactor and RotaryCraft to my world. I have to look into world gen but I'll figure that out. Also the 7x ore looks really appealing especially because I've only seen more than double in Mekanism. Also, did you say "mid-game"? I'm kinda scared how much RF can an end-game setup produce if mid-game is almost 4 million. :D

Edit: Well, I'm not happy about the fact that ReactorCraft adds a bunch of ores I've never even seen, and because of that I guess I'll have to retrogen, but at least Rotarycraft doesn't gen anything :D

I rushed RoC/ReC this world but yes mid game; firmly mid game. My AE system is still 8 channels in a little hidey hole down the hall from the turbine building. But my mining, ore proc, and power are set up separately. I still need to stitch them together with AE2 and then build a proper base. I'm fairly sure no other mod gives as much ore multiplication as RoC and Reika makes you work for it, nothing fast or easy here which is awesome.

Regarding ReC ore gen, since I also have Thermal Expansion 4 in my pack, I disabled its silver, copper, etc leaving only magnetite and such.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well, most importantly, its gotta look cool. Early game I use an EIO stirling generator long enough to make Mek wind turbines so I can focus on things other than power gen for a while. I could stop there and do what most scrubs do with them, put a bunch at max height where you cant even see them. But I place them within view no matter what height my base is at. Eventually re-purpose the turbines to individually power certain machines like farms instead of using a boring tesseract. Usually that upgrade involves Big Reactors but currently Immersive Engineering has the coolest looking power gen:
uFl4leZ.jpg

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Also, did you say "mid-game"? I'm kinda scared how much RF can an end-game setup produce if mid-game is almost 4 million. :D

Looks like a fusion reactor will keep five high pressure turbines running. So assuming this is the absolute limit and further assuming those turbines are run with ammonia (doubles the power so naturally this would happen) rather than water, we would make 85.9GW which if fully converted to RF using rotational dynamos (no one would ever do this) would make 173,195,875 RF/t. This would take 21,475 rotational dynamos though! I don't know enough about the turbine generator multiblocks to say whether or not they give the same conversion between watts and RF.

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like a fusion reactor will keep five high pressure turbines running. So assuming this is the absolute limit and further assuming those turbines are run with ammonia (doubles the power so naturally this would happen) rather than water, we would make 85.9GW which if fully converted to RF using rotational dynamos (no one would ever do this) would make 173,195,875 RF/t. This would take 21,475 rotational dynamos though! I don't know enough about the turbine generator multiblocks to say whether or not they give the same conversion between watts and RF.
Well, then I know how I'll generate power when I have the resources :D

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
In the begging I use steam engines to drive RockMelter (Rotary Craft) for Lava production, which is used for Magmatic dynamos. This is self sustaining system.
Gas turbines are used as the next step in power production.
Mid-game is Reactor Craft uranium reactor with 8.6 GWatt production that is more than sufficient for long long time.
At the end Fusion Reactor can do a job. The only problem is that after building such beast you have so many resources and huge infrastructure that you hardly need anything more to use humongous amount of power.