Update for official FTB pack linux bash script

tohands

Jul 29, 2019
WARNING!!! IF you have modified mod config, or you removed mods from your pack, you should not use this because it will overwrite the mod config with the official modpack mod config and will replace the missing mod

I wanted a way to update the FTB ultimate pack on my server, while some comment say "Just download it and extract it with a simple click", it's not always a good solution. So I decided to create a bash file that read the URL at http://feed-the-beast.com/server-download and match the URL with the pack that you choose, it download it and extract it automaticly, just need to restart the server after (which I can do directly in game) and the update is done.

here's my code

-Updated 4/21/2014

Required: bash, wget, and unzip. Not required anymore, sed.

http://pastebin.com/veAaFiTx

Change log
version 0.2
updated the url download page and got rid of sed call.

version 0.1
released
--

Run as

./command <Pack> <Path>

let say you name this script as 'update.sh' here's how to run it

./update.sh Direwolf20 /home/ftb/Direwolf20

Last edited:

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
neet little thing, could even cron job it! xD Only to bad thing about it is that it will download everything, so it will kill all my configs that i worked hours and hours on as well as add the mods that i removed from my server.
So its a nice idea, but i dont see the benefit, yet :p

tohands

Jul 29, 2019
it will not overwrite your mod, it will not overwrite the mod folder only overwrite each file that is in the modpack.zip, meaning that if you have a mod that is not in the pack, this will not delete it.

same with the config, if the config is not in the .zip, it will not overwrite it, it doesn't delete the folder, it only overwrite file base on what's in the zip. but yes if you have weird config that is not the same as the config that is in the zip, then don't use this.

but on my part (and I'm sure a lot of people are configured like me, with default mod config), everything work fine, I use tps mod and it stays there, same with my server properties and config/whitelist/ban, all stay the same and never changed using this.

but I'm sure I can add an exception for .conf files, if needed

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
i dont think you get what i mean. if i use the ultimate pack, and i remove EE3, then run this script, it will add EE3 again.
As well as all my mods of the ultimate pack i took hours to customize, and the script will just overwrite all the configs and undo all that basically.

Its not a real updater since it will just do a fresh mod install and jar install, so its more of a easy FTB command wget

Not that i dont like little scripts like this, but you need to inform any user that it will overwrite there configs and jar that they currently have and all.

tohands

Jul 29, 2019
There, I renamed the title to "Update Official FTB Pack" that should be less confusing for those who modify their pack.