Silverwood Sapling

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

happypyro

Jul 29, 2019
I've cut down dozens of Silverwood trees and not ONCE have i gotten a sapling, what am I possibly doing wrong, I've tried letting the leaves decay, I've tried breaking them manually, I've even tried bringing them back to my base to then be broken, yet I've never gotten a sapling, I've tried getting them in both DW20 pack and the Ultimate pack

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
what am I possibly doing wrong

Silverwood saplings are extremely rare. They have a drop chance of 1/500. That means you could break five blocks of silverwood leaves, and get five saplings, or break fifty thousand and get no saplings, as it's a randomized chance which I don't believe has any weighing to "force" an outcome if you go beyond the statistical average.

I haven't heard of any bugs regarding them recently, so it's likely your dozens of trees weren't enough to get you a sapling. For the record, I cut them down whenever I find them so I've liked slaughtered hundreds of them, and I've yet to see a sapling.

meuqsaco

Jul 29, 2019
I think you only had bad luck. They are quite rare to be honest. I know there is one tool which increases your chances of getting sapplings from leafs, but I can't remember the name right now. I think it's the sickle.

happypyro

Jul 29, 2019
ah thanks, i've seen other people talking about them like they're common as dirt, and was confused as to why i've never had 1

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it works, but try the grafter. If your using Thaumic bee's, try getting a thaumium grafter with fortune, don't know if you can put fortune on it though.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it works, but try the grafter. If your using Thaumic bee's, try getting a thaumium grafter with fortune, don't know if you can put fortune on it though.
You know the Grafter only works on trees run though Forestry's Treealyzer, right? Won't work on even a normal oak tree unless you scanned it before planting the sapling. Unless Thaumic Bees adds Thaumic Tree Breeding as well, you're SOL. The Thaumium Grafter is great for not having to craft a thousand grafters, but it still plays by Forestry's rules.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I think you only had bad luck. They are quite rare to be honest. I know there is one tool which increases your chances of getting sapplings from leafs, but I can't remember the name right now. I think it's the sickle.
the sickle doesn't increase the chance of saplings. It just makes it easier to clear all the leaves quickly.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You know the Grafter only works on trees run though Forestry's Treealyzer, right? Won't work on even a normal oak tree unless you scanned it before planting the sapling. Unless Thaumic Bees adds Thaumic Tree Breeding as well, you're SOL. The Thaumium Grafter is great for not having to craft a thousand grafters, but it still plays by Forestry's rules.
Oh, and in addition, from what I had read in the Thaumic Bees thread, Thaumic Treebreeding is actually something that might get put into Thaumic Bees at some later date. But Silverwood Trees grown this way will not affect the aura in the traditional way.

...Why does everyone want to grow silverwood trees? They aren't all that uncommon. Just set up a base near one.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Because they want to grow a pure node instead of tow one several hundred blocks to their main base? Or because they want to plan a base where it'll be high in the sky? Heck, just getting a tree and placing it near a dark node helps kill off the wisps as long as the node doesn't get consumed.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I know there's a chance to get a sapling if you silk touch the leaves with a chainsaw/shears. Will placing the leaves and then cutting them over and over produce saplings?

WaterPhoenix

Jul 29, 2019
You guys must be pretty unlucky (either that, or i'm very lucky). I get a sapling from about 1/2 the trees i find.

odin

Jul 29, 2019
I get them pretty commonly, i simply cut out all the logs and let them decay, i'd say my average is one sapling every three trees... idk if it's just bad luck for you or you're sabotaging yourself but i can say i used to use a sickle and cut out all the leaves and i never got a single sapling, so i believe you have to allow them to decay if you are to ever see a sapling[DOUBLEPOST=1389187055][/DOUBLEPOST]Case in point i just got another sapling while writing the previous comment just simply waiting for a tree to decay and boom 8th one for this trip alone... one might say i'm testing if you can have too many silverwood trees in one place

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
TC3 silverwood saplings were a bit rarer than TC4 ones since TC3 Silverwoods had a lot more to do with how the Aura worked.
(ps: it's an old thread)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
This is something that has worked for me. Yes, I do get about 1-3 silver saps per tree. I'm completely talking out of my ass, but just try it.

take a tree and cut it in whatever fashion that breaks the logs asap if not instantly. Then, run/jump in one direction for more than 50 blocks. Run back and check the drops. Do NOT touch the leaves ever. Wait for 5 seconds, run in another direction for just over 50 blocks. Come back and check the drops. Do this 4 times. Then finally Change your video settings from fast to detailed(I can't remember what its called atm) and back again. Run in another direction come back and check drops.

I do not have the absolute reason why this works. I know that there is supposed to be no difference in hand breaking leaves, sickle breaking them, or letting them naturally decompose. That being said, I have never received a silver sap manually breaking the leaves, but the previous method described has always worked. Standing right around the cut silver wood waiting for a sap has never worked.

Maybe there is something that plays with the rolls in vanilla mechanics, or the rolls are refreshed when you leave the immediate vacinity and come back (drops are not viewable until with 20 blocks or something), I don't know. I'm just saying I have no problem saying I can have a surplus of silverwood saps if I wanted to.

And for TC4, just 3 days ago I lumberjacked a silverwood, did my method and got 3 silver saps. Did it earlier before that and got 1.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Change your video settings? lol :D

So, can any of the TiCo tools with Lapis applied increase the chance of getting saplings when breaking the leaves?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
don't know. interesting to find out. I would say no, but TiC seems to find a way.

Changing your video settings refreshes your loaded chunks. So yes.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
This is something that has worked for me. Yes, I do get about 1-3 silver saps per tree. I'm completely talking out of my ass, but just try it.

take a tree and cut it in whatever fashion that breaks the logs asap if not instantly. Then, run/jump in one direction for more than 50 blocks. Run back and check the drops. Do NOT touch the leaves ever. Wait for 5 seconds, run in another direction for just over 50 blocks. Come back and check the drops. Do this 4 times. Then finally Change your video settings from fast to detailed(I can't remember what its called atm) and back again. Run in another direction come back and check drops.

I do not have the absolute reason why this works. I know that there is supposed to be no difference in hand breaking leaves, sickle breaking them, or letting them naturally decompose. That being said, I have never received a silver sap manually breaking the leaves, but the previous method described has always worked. Standing right around the cut silver wood waiting for a sap has never worked.

Maybe there is something that plays with the rolls in vanilla mechanics, or the rolls are refreshed when you leave the immediate vacinity and come back (drops are not viewable until with 20 blocks or something), I don't know. I'm just saying I have no problem saying I can have a surplus of silverwood saps if I wanted to.

And for TC4, just 3 days ago I lumberjacked a silverwood, did my method and got 3 silver saps. Did it earlier before that and got 1.

You forgot to spin around 3 times, knock on wood, and shout "May the Lord Saits Preserve Us!" :D