Server running XyCraft - Poll

What do you think about a Feed the Beast server running the XyCraft mod?

• Great! All those new ores really add to the game

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Can't find any decent ores and my inventory is filled with those stupid crystals

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Mmmmmmmmmmm, corn!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • What? What? Whaaaaaat?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some additional response option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HBY

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to know what you guys think of running XyCraft on your server.

Jul 29, 2019
Well part of the issue is that Xycraft is still in development. So it looks like there's some cool stuff coming down the pipe (really curious about the power system), but for now it's just some nice looking blocks, with the fabricator and tank system being the only real "substantive" changes that affect gameplay in this version (there's also engineering blocks but that's minor).

My thoughts overall:
  • I love the look of the new blocks it adds, even if they are mostly aesthetic. This reason alone makes me like Xycraft.
  • I'll admit I'm not a fan of the aluminum. Besides aluminum torches, it's not really used, but spawns in fair quantities. I think a mod should only add worldgen if it's really necessary, and I feel that Xycraft could get away with not having it (or just using tin and copper like other mods), even if more machines will be added in the future.
  • I like the "magical" look and engineering feel combo. Granted some of the blocks feel OP since they give functionality for little or no cost (I think the Ice Engineering block should use power, for instance). I like the blocks overall though.
  • I think the Xychorium (sp?) spawn rate is too high. But if we get more uses then I may change my opinion on this.
  • I love the idea of the fabricator and tank, although the fabricator isn't exceptionally useful on its own at this point (it's basically a buildcraft autocrafting table that's faster and doesn't need an engine to craft). It is beautiful though, and very useful early game (the NEI integration is epic though, if you set it up right surrounded by chests, on pulse mode, you can basically get NEI-based autocrafting).
  • Small issue: on the tank, I do hate the overlay grid that shows up when you look at it standing near to show the multiblock. Wish that only happened when you look at the valve, or not at all. I do love the tank overall, it's one of those things you don't think about and then when you see it, all you can think is "yes, we should be able to do that." I know other people think it's OP because it's cheaper than a railcraft multiblock tank, but I think the balance comes in railcraft's higher storage density. Plus I love the idea of sealing off an area in a cave and using it as storage.
  • One thing I don't like is the crystals. There are WAY too many of them, and because of the way minecraft renders they end up contributing to lag. Sure they look nice and the idea is cool, but the spawn rate needs to be turned down by 75%. As for lag, I think they should be a drop from a normal block ore (that can still be placed in the world as a crystal, it just won't naturally spawn that way), this would eliminate any lag contribution, especially if the spawn rate isn't nerfed.