Non-renewable Items?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Abdiel's definition of Renewable: "it is possible to create a machine/setup that takes up a limited, fixed amount of space, and with no external inputs is able to produce an arbitrary amount of the resource in a finite time".

In FTB, nearly every item can be completely renewable, not including the infinite world of minecraft. You can get these items from all the new recipes, such as pulverizing cobblestone to produce sand and gravel. IC2 crops can get you things like Ink Sacs, and the squid is one of few mobs that can not be turned into a soul shard, which will net you infinite coal, bones, and even Eyes of Ender. UU Matter is quite useful. It allows you to get things like Lapis, Netherrack, and Iridium. Bees are a big one. No other mods can boast the ability to get infinite platinum (if extremely slow)...And yes, the *awesome* "exploit" by Thermal Expansion is now fixed (okay, it is an exploit and did need to be fixed).

Of course, not every single item is unrenewable.

For example, the Ender Dragon Egg is not renewable, there's only one. Add to this list Soul Sand. Nikolite (though plentiful) is not renewable either. Endstone is not renewable, nor is Soladite, but the Iridium you derive from it is, so we won't count that.

List of Non-Renewable items (Items will be added and removed):
Vanilla:
Cobwebs (Only item!)
Redpower:
Marble
Traincraft:
Oil sands
Crude Oil
BuildCraft:
Twilight Forest:
Glowworm Queen
Torch Berries
Nagastone (and most other builds/dungeons)
Ironwood
Steeleaf
Ore Magnet
Peacock feather fan
Maze Wafer
Robust Twilight Oak Saplings
XL Biomes:
Red Rock
Forestry:
Apatite
Princesses (recyclable, but not infinite except for with swarmers, but the princesses or the queens made will not last)
Thaumcraft:
Obsidian Totems
Silverwood Saplings, Logs and Leaves.
Mystcraft:
Crystals
Xycraft:
Red Xychronium
Green Xychronium
Black Xychronium
Light Xychronium
Blue Xychronium
Xycraft Quartz
Other Mods:
Applied Energestics: Quartz

Prerequisites (for being renewable):
Inventory Clause
They must be able to be obtained and be put in an inventory. Silverfish blocks are a good example of an example that does not count. That means all vanilla-type mob spawners as well.
Ore Clause
This is not only about ores. There are other materials that are part of this too. Ores give you one of two things: Ingots, and Dust (okay, rich slag and stone too). The ingots are what we'll focus on, because the dust can be derived from ingots from maceration/pulverization. If Tin Ore ONLY gives out Tin, (stone and slag are renewable, doesn't matter), the Ore itself is not renewable, but since everything it gives out is renewable and can be gotten by other means, the ore will not count on the "Non-renewable" list.
Dupe Clause
Either with mod exploits, or vanilla dupes, if this is the only way to get an item, then it will not be removed from the non-renewable list.
So my question is, what other materials have you found to be non-renewable? Any on the list that are renewable and should be removed?

What of the ways to produce some of these items? For Soul Sand, some members and I were toying around the idea with using filled Soul Shards in a Soul Forge to smelt Sand into Soul Sand, removing 1 soul per Soul Sand created.
Nikolite technically is related to energy like Lapis Luizi in IC2, so it could be possible to mix Redstone with Lapis Luizi, or even Soladite, from the end. I'm sure it is derived from Lapis anyways.
I also think Cobwebs could be created by having a spider (cave or normal) stay loaded for long enough, and it would eventually make a Cobweb. It'd be slow, and you'd have to be nearby spiders, and you'd have to go there with silk touch Shears manually, but it would be possible.

So, what do you guys think?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
You can add pretty much anything from the current incarnation of XYcraft.

Sodalite dust can be made by centrifuging lapis. Unless you mean the actual ore, in which case all ore blocks are non-renewable.

Oil (and therefore also fuel) is non-renewable.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Not all ore blocks are non-renewable, UU matter gives a few, but the only ones that matter are Gold Ore and Iron Ore, because they can be used for IC2 crops to get infinite Gold and Iron with Aerualia and Ferru. All the other ore blocks give little use because the ingots they make are their only uses.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Technically everything is renewable with Mystcraft ages. But ignoring those you'd need to add Nether Star since Soul Sand not renewable. Although you can't obtain the blocks there are only 3 End Portals per world. Then there are a ton of mod added blocks you missed but I couldn't be bothered to try listing them. But Twilight Forest is one that adds dozens of items that can only be mined from the places or found in chests or drops from bosses but not crafted.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
What about things like fuel? Should they be added to the list because Oil is already non-renewable, it seems pointless to add Fuel on top, it's implied. What do you think?[DOUBLEPOST=1360798084][/DOUBLEPOST]Many items can be dropped from mobs in the t-forest, but I will add what I can (remember :p).

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Thinking some more, bees are actually non-renewable. I don't think there is any way to create a new (permanent) princess.

More worldgen stuff: EBXL red rock and cracked sand, and RP marble and basalt edit, can be made from lava by a thermopile.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If bees aren't renewable....a ton of stuff isn't renewable. When bees die, don't they produce more princesses?
Basalt is renewable. Slowly but surely. Lava next to snow=basalt, it's like a slow cobble generator. It's almost not worth it, but it exists.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
Oil, Lapis, & Sodalite can be obtained from ExtraBees.
Soul Sand can be obtained from Scrap Boxes.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Every time a queen dies, it produces exactly one princess. Therefore your stock of princesses will always be stable. Only on the highest bee breeding difficulties there is a chance to lose your princesses.

Sprung

Jul 29, 2019
Can I please get an explanation for the Gregtech Dragon Egg energy generator? I killed the dragon with a friend on our server and I figured we would trade the egg to each player every week or what not for bee keeping or anything else. In less than 24 hours the generator apparently eggsploded taking the egg with it.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Oil is renewable with Extra Bees, and I think soul sand can be gotten from scrap boxes. Renewable soul sand also makes for renewable nether stars.

Quicksilver, amber and apatite are nonrenewable.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
If bees aren't renewable....a ton of stuff isn't renewable. When bees die, don't they produce more princesses?
Basalt is renewable. Slowly but surely. Lava next to snow=basalt, it's like a slow cobble generator. It's almost not worth it, but it exists.

Princesses are infinitely "recyclable" but you can't (afaik) make new ones other than traveling out into the infinite world and finding new hives.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Quicksilver can be gotten by centrifugation on of the nether ores. I think this ores dust can be gotten by bees.
Amber can be gotten by bees (thaumic bees, not in mindcrack or direwolf).
Apatite is non-renewable by design and is a deliberate balancing point for the new farms.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Hahah, every time I add something, someone adds it is renewable, and it's quite awkward going down, and going back up to make an edit.

This list would be cool to compile though, so I don't care.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
Can I please get an explanation for the Gregtech Dragon Egg energy generator? I killed the dragon with a friend on our server and I figured we would trade the egg to each player every week or what not for bee keeping or anything else. In less than 24 hours the generator apparently eggsploded taking the egg with it.

change
Code:
B:AllowDuplicatedDragonEggs=false

to true in the Gregtech config on the server.

Sprung

Jul 29, 2019
I think quicksilver can be had from silver wood logs. What does the dragon egg duplication setting do?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Quicksilver can be gotten by centrifugation on of the nether ores. I think this ores dust can be gotten by bees.
Amber can be gotten by bees (thaumic bees, not in mindcrack or direwolf).
Apatite is non-renewable by design and is a deliberate balancing point for the new farms.

We should stick to the mods we have in basic Mindcrack and direwolf, so everything Gregtech UU matter makes is on, but direwolf's inability to renew Crystals is also on.
But I will keep amber on the non-renewable list because that mod isn't a part of these two packs (even though it probably should).

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
We should stick to the mods we have in basic Mindcrack and direwolf, so everything Gregtech UU matter makes is on, but direwolf's inability to renew Crystals is also on.
But I will keep amber on the non-renewable list because that mod isn't a part of these two packs (even though it probably should).
Maybe add thaumic bees as a solution for amber in brackets? Many people who like both bees and TC3 will probably add that mod themselves.
But is your list, so your rules^^

Sprung

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I just read the exploding bug may have been fixed in a later version of Gregtech.