'No Screen Found'?

Madhatt5r

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to setup a server on a Ubuntu linux box by following this guide.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/johnleys-fast-and-easy-server-setup-guide.1290/

I have followed the guide and have read over it many times now redoing the process a few times, but every time I try to start the backup script in that same post, it says 'No screen found'. After I notice that it says no screen found I try to reattach to the screen to see if it is still running under the same name I gave it and sure enough it is. I'm not sure what else to try from this point. Any help to fix this issue would be really nice. I've have been trying to fix the issue for a couple of days now.

Edit: Forgot to add that when I do an echo to the screen, than reattach the screen I see text. So I know the screen is there but my overall knowledge of linux is very limited so I am not sure what is causing the shell script not to run.

marcusant

Jul 29, 2019
My first suggestion would be not to run a server on Ubuntu or variants like Mint/etc. Try using something like Debian Wheezy as it is much more server oriented; I've seen huge performance gains from doing this for people. Also, try running the script outside of screen and see if there is any issues causing it to fail. You can also run "screen -ls" to see all of the running screens and make sure you are using the right name/id.

Madhatt5r

Jul 29, 2019
My first suggestion would be not to run a server on Ubuntu or variants like Mint/etc. Try using something like Debian Wheezy as it is much more server oriented; I've seen huge performance gains from doing this for people. Also, try running the script outside of screen and see if there is any issues causing it to fail. You can also run "screen -ls" to see all of the running screens and make sure you are using the right name/id.

I'll look into Debian in a bit and see if maybe a solution like that will work. I always try to run the script outside of the screen that the feed the beast server is running on. I did not think you could type any command inside the same screen without interfering with the server.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
On the startup command for the server
java -server -xmx -xms server.jar ...etc

add the command "nogui"
by default the server tryes to start with a user interface,

second there is a program called screen, it looks like you are already using it
so for clarity any future users please
sudo apt-get install screen