Laser Drill Maximum Energy Input

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Sionyn

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've got 4 laser drill prechargers connecting to the laser drill. For every laser drill precharger im using 2 ultimate hybrid solars and a 36 HP Boiler. Overall I've got 8 Ultimate hybrid solars and 4 36 HP Boilers. Overall energy is 4096 eu/t and about 576 mj/t. Can i add more power to fasten the progress or have i reached the max energy input?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You're over-powering them. Each precharger can only accept a maximum of 100 MJ/t.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
for me anyway once i gave them max power one precharger turns off(red lights turn off on the top)

Reactions: rhn

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
So, I've got 4 laser drill prechargers connecting to the laser drill. For every laser drill precharger im using 2 ultimate hybrid solars and a 36 HP Boiler. Overall I've got 8 Ultimate hybrid solars and 4 36 HP Boilers. Overall energy is 4096 eu/t and about 576 mj/t. Can i add more power to fasten the progress or have i reached the max energy input?
As far as I understand, as long as the power indicators stay full in the prechargers, you don't need / can't use more power.

That cannot happen using only MJ from what I've seen, there seem to be some limitation there. Need to add some EU as well. You're well over that limit though.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
As far as I understand, as long as the power indicators stay full in the prechargers, you don't need / can't use more power.

That is not true for prechargers as I remember it. You can pump a billion EU/t into them and the meter won't fill. MFR machines are also no longer limited by the connection faces of MJ like they used to be at 10 MJ/t per connection; it is now infinite. That said prechargers will only take 100 MJ/t at most.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
From what I can gather, its not the prechargers that set the limit. Its the drill that has a max energy input. Read somewhere that you can max out the drill with 2 prechargers.
The prechargers turn red when their internal power buffer is filled, which means they are being fed more energy than they can output to the drill.
Now what I don't understand is the mechanic between which precharger supplies how much power. Is power drawn evenly between the prechargers or is it "first processed" like with redstone energycells and Eu storages?
I got a drill running with 4 prechargers atm. 2 prechargers are given 100MJ each(limited by energy cell) and other 2 are given free access to 1536+ EU/t. All but one of the MJ prechargers turn red. When investigating further, it turns out that one of the MJ prechargers arent drawing any power. Neither is one of the EU prechargers. The other EU precharger draws a steady 1000EU/t and the last MJ precharger is pulling its full 100MJ/t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dezz

budge

Jul 29, 2019
From what I can gather, its not the prechargers that set the limit. Its the drill that has a max energy input. Read somewhere that you can max out the drill with 2 prechargers.
The prechargers turn red when their internal power buffer is filled, which means they are being fed more energy than they can output to the drill.
Now what I don't understand is the mechanic between which precharger supplies how much power. Is power drawn evenly between the prechargers or is it "first processed" like with redstone energycells and Eu storages?
I got a drill running with 4 prechargers atm. 2 prechargers are given 100MJ each(limited by energy cell) and other 2 are given free access to 1536+ EU/t. All but one of the MJ prechargers turn red. When investigating further, it turns out that one of the MJ prechargers arent drawing any power. Neither is one of the EU prechargers. The other EU precharger draws a steady 1000EU/t and the last MJ precharger is pulling its full 100MJ/t.

I noticed this behavior too. You can see the energy bar stops flickering up and down, and if you are powering it with IC2 cables, the EU reader will show power going to only one precharger (but still far more than one precharger takes when they are filling their buffers initially). My guess is that MFR has some kind of performance optimization that kicks in when there's an abundance of power. Powering just one block, and not updating its GUI, may serve to reduce the amount of processing needed to run the machine.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I noticed this behavior too. You can see the energy bar stops flickering up and down, and if you are powering it with IC2 cables, the EU reader will show power going to only one precharger (but still far more than one precharger takes when they are filling their buffers initially). My guess is that MFR has some kind of performance optimization that kicks in when there's an abundance of power. Powering just one block, and not updating its GUI, may serve to reduce the amount of processing needed to run the machine.
I think its more a case of priority. Since 2 prechargers are enough to max the drill, the first 2 prechargers to be processed become the ones to deliver the power. When the other 2 try to deliver power, the drill is already maxed out. I guess we could just use 2 prechargers, but it looks better with 4 :p

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I think its more a case of priority. Since 2 prechargers are enough to max the drill, the first 2 prechargers to be processed become the ones to deliver the power. When the other 2 try to deliver power, the drill is already maxed out. I guess we could just use 2 prechargers, but it looks better with 4 :p

Do 4 drills:

X= air
D= Drill
P = Precharger

XPPX
PDDP
PDDP
XPPX

Synaptic_Link

Jul 29, 2019
Experimented using different numbers of prechargers, and controlled energy input using creative energy cells:

With 10,000 RF/t input to each precharger for setups with 1,2,3 & 4 prechargers; 4 prechargers completed most work cycles.
Next, testing a 4 precharger setup: With 5000 RF/t input to each precharger, the energy level could be maintained.
Additional RF/t did not increase the drill energy or speed.
Less than 5000 RF/t on any precharger (even with extra RF/t on the other 3 prechargers) resulted in drill energy decreasing and eventually a reduction in drill speed, suggesting each precharger is capped at 5000 RF/t transfer to the drill

Therefore the maximum input energy for a laser drill is 20,000 RF/t, supplied by 4 prechargers with 5000 RF/t inputs. (MFR V2.7.9)

Not sure if this is of any use, but I couldn't find the required energy input for prechargers anywhere. Even if the values aren't useful for you, the experiment method might be.

Reactions: Padfoote

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Experimented using different numbers of prechargers, and controlled energy input using creative energy cells:

With 10,000 RF/t input to each precharger for setups with 1,2,3 & 4 prechargers; 4 prechargers completed most work cycles.
Next, testing a 4 precharger setup: With 5000 RF/t input to each precharger, the energy level could be maintained.
Less than 5000 RF/t on any precharger (even with extra RF/t on the other 3 prechargers) resulted in drill energy decreasing and eventually a reduction in drill speed, suggesting each precharger is capped at 5000 RF/t transfer to the drill

Therefore the maximum input energy for a laser drill is 20,000 RF/t, supplied by 4 prechargers with 5000 RF/t inputs. (MFR V2.7.9)

Not sure if this is of any use, but I couldn't find the required energy input for prechargers anywhere. Even if the values aren't useful for you, the experiment method might be.
Well, if your numbers are accurate, this means that yes, we can max it out with two prechargers as it seems like the prechargers can take and transmit 10,000 RF/t

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

image.jpg

Cannot believe this thread is already 7 months old

Reactions: Not_Steve

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
This is no longer funny. Please stop.

I agree, It's getting very old, Very quickly.

I am keeping my reputation

You wont have one to keep if you keep going on this path.

It brings an old thread back to life. Which is considered a necro.

On these forums:
Necro - Adding useless posts to old threads just to bump them.
Not a necro - Adding information to an old thread rather then starting a new thread.

Now let's see less spam from you.