HQM pack/map development - No-MOre

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Recently I've seen at least two threads pop up in the forum discussing the potential of using Ex Nihilo and Aliquo to produce a pack where all worldgen of ore was disabled. The idea of a pack with a lack of ore is something I've played with a little bit in the past, but due to lack of time was founded on self-restraint rather than fiddling with configs. However, with the advent of HQM, and approaching winter break, I've decided to try approach the design in the format of a pack, especially since others have shown interest in a similar concept.

To summarise; I'm building a HQM pack centred on a lack of ore generation

Key points:
  • No ore gen!
  • I'm trying to build this pack in 1.7.2, though at this stage am missing some of the mods I feel are key to how I want progression in this pack to work.
  • While others discussed using ExN&A, this pack will hopefully be based around progression with Magical Crops (which happens to be one of the mods I'm missing right now), aided by Quest rewards when necessary
  • Heavy focus on magic and a degree of exploration, especially early on, with complex tech becoming available further down the line.
  • Tech is currently MJ based for middle tech levels, once Mekanism updates I will hopefully be able to use that as the late-game be and end all tech.
  • I'm trying to keep the pack fairly light as the bigger it gets, the harder it is to maintain and balance progression and material availability
  • However, at this stage I am leaving out forestry as with the lack of extra bees and Magic bees in 1.7, there is little to no point including it, especially alongside magical crops
  • I'm currently using Custom Ore Generation to allow for the removal of all ore gen, but am having difficulty figuring out how to use the xml files to do this globally; if someone could talk me through this or provide a preconfigured set that would be amazing.
  • I'm happy to take mod suggestions, but if you could come up with a good reason for it to be included, I'd be much more inclined to add it.
  • Bibliocraft
  • Biomes O' Plenty
  • Blood Magic
  • Botania
  • Buildcraft
  • Carpenter's Blocks
  • Chisel
  • Custom Ore Generation
  • Enchiridion
  • Extra Utilities
  • HQM
  • JABBA
  • Mariculture
  • Modular Flower Pots
  • Natura
  • Nether Ores
  • Plant Mega Pack
  • Railcraft
  • Roguelike dungeons
  • Thaumcraft
  • Advanced Thaumaturgy
  • Thaumic exploration
  • Thaumic tinkerer
  • Forbidden Magic
  • Twilight forest
  • Tinker's Construct
  • Tinker's Mechworks
  • WAILA
  • Witchery
  • various dependencies and utility mods (eg NEI)
  • Magical Crops - very much necessary for the progression I have planned. Forum thread seems to suggest it will be updated fairly soon
  • TiC Tweaks - Would be nice for use in conjunction with nether ores to restrict access to materials
  • Mekanism - not necessary initially, but would be nice to have as the late game progression

Ideally, I'd like this to work as a pack rather than a map, so that everyone wasn't restricted to the same terrible seed, but at the time of writing, HQM doesn't seem to want to let the player spawn holding the quest book, even when employing the use of other mods such as bspkrs starting inventory. Whether this is a bug related to the 1.7 version of HQM or not I'm unsure, but any suggestions on this problem would be great, and would help keep this project on track to working as a pack rather than as a specific map

Last edited:

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
BetterDungeons/ChocolateQuest (same mod, the name varies randomly) seems like it would fit in. Adds dungeons the same way that Roguelike dungeons does, but adds its own items which are very useful and fun, like a hookshot. To fix the quest book issue, you could try and have the player start with the materials to make a quest book?

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
After reading the other thread, I had this exact same thought. Of making a pack based around finding Magical Crops seeds in roguelike dungeons, and with extra seeds, essence, essence seeds, and normal ore gen turned off. I also want a way to customize loot chests in 1.7 and to make custom spawners (like in hostile worlds), but FatherToast hasn't updated his mods yet.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic tinkerer for 1.7?! Link?
It's on their Jenkins, bear in mind these are dev builds.
http://jenkins.nekokittygames.com:8080/job/Thaumic Tinkerer 1.7/

BetterDungeons/ChocolateQuest (same mod, the name varies randomly) seems like it would fit in. Adds dungeons the same way that Roguelike dungeons does, but adds its own items which are very useful and fun, like a hookshot. To fix the quest book issue, you could try and have the player start with the materials to make a quest book?
I've played with it a bit in RR, and yes it is one that will fit quite nicely, although unfortunately is currently not yet updated to 1.7.
That workaround sounds like a plan, at least in the interim until a better solution becomes available.

After reading the other thread, I had this exact same thought. Of making a pack based around finding Magical Crops seeds in roguelike dungeons, and with extra seeds, essence, essence seeds, and normal ore gen turned off. I also want a way to customize loot chests in 1.7 and to make custom spawners (like in hostile worlds), but FatherToast hasn't updated his mods yet.
While I intend for exploration to be a bigger part of this pack, I don't want to make it required as that puts people at the mercy of the RNG. So for my pack at least, essence seeds will be available, though the extra seed chance will be disabled (may change to just being reduced if pack seems too grindy).

I've now also added elemental caves and nether ores to the current stage of the pack

Last edited:

Automation2000

Jul 29, 2019
I might suggest Dartcraft before you skip this because of the pure OP nature of it consider that if you disable a second seed drop time torches would not be as useful.