FTB Unleashed Adding Power Converters

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Joshua.Perna

Jul 29, 2019
I love this pack but I want power converters back. How would I go about adding the mod back to the pack. Since power Crystals Core is still present, would I be able to just add the mod?

Any help would be appreciated , Thank you !

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The most you may need to do is adjust the block IDs for power converters mattering on if they left the default IDs open or not. Also note that you have to readd the mod manually each time they update the pack and if you run a server then each of your users will need to do so.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Consider adding one of the many other mods that does this. Mekanism and Engineer's toolbox both do this in a very interesting way. If you DO add Power Converters, consider removing the steam intake.

PowerConverter's model basically cannot do what people want it to do: convert power in a balanced way.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
PowerConverter's model basically cannot do what people want it to do: convert power in a balanced way.

That is to say people want balance. And while I agree with that statement some folks out there might just want a easy way to make lots of power.

To each their own. But yeah I agree free converstion is never really a good idea it leads to cookie cutter "Best way" builds. Would rather have some sort of lost in convertion personaly.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
What's the problem with it? Other than the steam conversion, I guess.
I mean, pretty much any mod that can accept both MJs and EUs treats each MJ as 2.5 EUs, or at least something pretty close to that, which is pretty much how PC works. So? Are the conversions for Factorization or UE power broken?

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
I really wish there was some included way to do this. I hate having to build separate power stations for half of my machines that are MJ and the other that are EU. I'd like just one unified power system.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I really wish there was some included way to do this. I hate having to build separate power stations for half of my machines that are MJ and the other that are EU. I'd like just one unified power system.
Well, when I started playing with mods, they were fundamentally different systems. IC2 tended to be a make-and-store system, where the storage blocks were essential, and power was only generated as needed.

BC power tended to be a make-as-you-need system, where you couldn't store power (even regulating is was very difficult before gates), so you'd endeavour to set up a system to cope with your continuous need and dump stuff that wasn't needed.

Other mods have changed this functionality somewhat since then (particularly TE), which does kind of disappoint me. Both systems have become effectively similar to the extent that they are interchangeable in most mods nowadays.

On the other hand, it was almost needed for the content that was added.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Consider adding one of the many other mods that does this. Mekanism and Engineer's toolbox both do this in a very interesting way. If you DO add Power Converters, consider removing the steam intake.

Could you explain this? it converts power perfectly for me, what is the issue?

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Could you explain this? it converts power perfectly for me, what is the issue?

A steam boiler will make a lot of EU and this bothers the GregTech purists. To them, I say neener neener.

Oh, and steam is a liquid for tesseract purposes so zomg lossless midgame energy transport. Boo hoo.

There used to be exploits involving steam but they're all fixed or not worth doing.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
His question is still valid, though. I use power converters over electrical engines for convenience and functionality. Does more, does it better, takes up less space doing it, doesn't require circuit boards or heat vents, has a better built-in buffer, is smarter about not wasting EU, works with other power sources.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I mostly use the power converters because of the new sound effect of railcraft engines... i know they can be disabled, but in any case, i would rather have a couple converters than a room full of animated engines

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
If you're running single-player, just 'Edit Mod Pack' in the launcher *before* you fire up Unleashed. Move PowerConverters from the right side (disabled) to the left.

If server, just remove the .disabled extension in the mods folder. You can do the same on your client, too, but the GUI method is easier.

As for complaints, here are the things people have problem with with Power Convertors, from roughly worst to least offending:

A. Steam (especially Tesseracted / Ender Tank'ed steam !)
B. Tesseracted MJ when net effect is Tesseracted IC2
C. IC2 <--> MJ. Some modders want you to use their power gen ecosystem to drive their machines and don't like the competing/other power gen systems
D. Just a boring block, like solar

Again, that's roughly worst to least offensive, as far as I can tell.

Personally, I use PowerConverters end-game when I'm consciously trying to avoid engine/block spam. I will stop building 36HP boilers when I have around 10 or so. 180 Industrial Steam Engines is a lot of engines. I've proven I can do it. Beyond that, I'll be server-friendly, so HV Solar or Ultimate Solar into Power Converter to produce still more MJ is more server-friendly. Boring, yes, but I'll go visit my 180 Industrial Steam Engines if I need to be reminded of the sight and sounds of MJ power production.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Ideally power converters would just let you config them so if you feel they are cheaty, you can make them less efficient. Space saving and cheap but a loss of power is fair, IMO.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Ideally power converters would just let you config them so if you feel they are cheaty, you can make them less efficient. Space saving and cheap but a loss of power is fair, IMO.

The config lets you do this. Here is an example:

Code:
    ####################
    # industrialcraft
    ####################

industrialcraft {
        I:IndustrialCraftInternalEnergyPerEachInput=1800
        I:IndustrialCraftInternalEnergyPerEachOutput=1800
    }