FTB needing two javaw.exe's?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Benie

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm trying to figure out, why of the mod pack I use (the Direwolf20 pack for 1.6.4), I'm getting very high RAM use. With 1GB allocated, my usage spikes to 75% ingame when the map fully loads and causes the game to be jerky.
I'm wondering if it's the fact, I see two javaw.exe's in the Task Manager.

Saving and getting back into the map. Minecraft runs out of memory.
So I tried to allocate 2GB, this seems to have fixed it, but it's doing a toll on my computer's resources. I have to watch my computer's RAM usage closely as it will go as high as 75%, and I'm seeing 80% being the caution area (this is using the widget that Windows 7 has that monitors CPU and RAM usage). I fear I'm going to burn my RAM out by doing this.

My specs;
CPU: AMD FX 4350
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250
Memory: 8GB
Resolution: 1024x768

I am using the 64 bit version of Java. All I know is I didn't see this back in 1.2.5, and I had a crappy CPU and 4GB of RAM.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
The 1.6 packs are a lot more demanding now and they are requiring 2gb minimum. The mapwriter mod can use up a lot of ram. You have 8gb so I would allocate 5gb.

Benie

Jul 29, 2019
As I said, I fear I'll burn out my RAM. The 2GB allocation alone takes it dangerously close to 80% usage... or is that dangerous? Is the critical threshold 90%?
On top it, memory usage can very slowly increase.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
As far as I know if you allocate 2 gb RAM it should use a max of 2gb and not more. as for the 2x javaw.exe I also see it but I am using magic farm 2.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know if you allocate 2 gb RAM it should use a max of 2gb and not more. as for the 2x javaw.exe I also see it but I am using magic farm 2.
This could be due to the Console being shown during game play. Does this still occur without the console open?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
This could be due to the Console being shown during game play. Does this still occur without the console open?
As soon as i start the launcher I see 2x javaw.exe but 1 disapeers fast, this is with console on. When I start the modpack then the seccond javaw.exe comes again. If I then close the console there are still 2 java.exes. I will try now without the console enabled, but for me it is not a problem because it uses less then 2 gb RAM total. Only high cpu usage but thats proberly because my cpu is an i3 and I have only an intergrated GPU.

Edit: if I start the launcher with the console disabled I only have one javaw.exe but if I start the modpack a seccond one comes CPU ussage stays the same with starting the modpack up.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Code:
<progwml6|L> has to be done that way
<Ashzification> why?
<progwml6|L> or when MC hangs it takes the launcher with it
<niel> its modded minecraft ash
<niel> its a ram whore
<progwml6|L> only way to keep the logs in our launcher
<Ashzification> ahh ok
<progwml6|L> and keep them when MC crashes
<niel> I am very proud UHT plays 60 fps on my computer
<progwml6|L> multimc does the same thing afaik
<progwml6|L> its process + java
<Ashzification> that's kind of dumb
Bit more of an explanation ;)

progwml6

Launcher Dev
Launcher Developer
Mod Developer
Nov 15, 2013
it has to be done in order to make sure that our loggers catch minecraft errors, and don't fail when minecraft crashes and enables us to launch minecraft using optimal parameters, and the correct versions.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Well now thats sorted out lets start helping Bennie. So first question I can think of how much ram do you have free before you start a modpack?

Benie

Jul 29, 2019
My RAM usage is around 27% when I'm not in FTB. In FTB (ingame) it can jump as high as 60-65% and slowly creep up. This is with 2gb allocated.
Also, an unrelated note but since you guys are willing to help. It seems the window size I set in the launcher is ignored. I currently have it as 959 x 740.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Well before you start you use if my calculations are correct 2.16 gb RAM wich is just normal and if you run a modpack you use 5.2 gb max and 4.8 gb min. depending how much RAM you allocated to minecraft I don't see the problem because the diffrence is about 3 gb and the launcher also need some RAM to work with.

Edit: forgot to mention dependion on wich pack you play there might be a memory leak. Because of this minecraft will keep needing more ram until it crashes because it hit the max allocated amount of RAM.

jakbruce2012

Jul 29, 2019
Please add an option to automatically close this second process once Minecraft launches, or default it to a very low priority. The launcher itself uses more ram than the Monster mod pack, and seems to have no cap. It will eat until my computer hangs at 8GB if I forget to end the process manually, and at that point the only option is to hit the power switch on the back.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
You can start the launcher with a custom bat/sh file to limit the amount of RAM it uses.

jakbruce2012

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, there's a jar version of the launcher, much better.

edit: starting the launcher with "javaw -Xmx512M -jar FTB.jar"
edit 2: woops, it's supposed to be Xms.

Last edited: