First Server Ever Need Help

Conday

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys i am extremely excited about this! me and a friend have decided to take the first step into creating our own private server. We have a group of about 30 people wanting to participate and if it goes well i wouldn't mind going public.

But only problem is I have no clue where to start. I have set up a FTB ultimate server and installed existential. Where do i go from here! i think i need to first set up permissions I want to be able to control what mods are used on the server and i do not want people to be able to log on and use their own mods. can i do this?

d4m1ty

Jul 29, 2019
The mods you install are the mods everyone uses. People don't come in and inject their own mods, doesn't work like that.

First off, you need to know what type of server you want to run. Don't just be, I want a server. Do you want a pvp one? creative? etc. That will determine what mods and what permissions you will set for players.

Do you want a tiered approach or is everyone just basically the same? That will determine what groups you need for permissions.

Are these 30 people friends you can trust or would you be worried about people damaging the server? if so, you will want to look into restricting items in the game.

Do you have unlimited HD space? If not, you may want to limit Mystcraft.

Come up with a really good list of what you want this server to be and I'm sure everyone here can suggest various mods to help you attain that.

For instance, i am building a pvp server right now, but I want people to have safe havens and I wanted a progression of tech through different levels like iron age, bronze age and to restrict items based upon tech. I want a real economy and safe areas to trade.

So, I picked up TekkitCustomize since it will allow you to restrict any item in the game from use, building, crafting or owning. using PermissionsEx as the way to track all the ages of the playes and each age grants permissions to item groups and then using ServerSigns, I'm able to allow people to promote themselves from one age to another by paying a certain array of items. The Sign Trading of Essentials creates the platform for commerce and allows the server to sink and supply money and shift items values as needed. Towny provides safehavens and allows people to work together.

Conday

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome thanks for the start! I see no point in throwing out an final idea since it is so new to me. So lets start small and work up to a final product.

My first Goal is to create a FTB survival Server i dont want anything special. everyone will sign in and start in a protected area where from there they can wander off and survive on their own. i would like to have a total of 3 groups of users. first (Genereal users) that will only have the ability to to play minecraft nothing special. then (staff level) that will have the ability to control time, items, banning, whitelist, and simple features, then (me the Admin) with every feature.

I keep hearing bad things about mystcraft, so i think for now it would be wise to just disable it. ( what other mods would be good to disable while starting a fresh server )

here is my current mods list:
  1. CoFHCore
  2. ForgeIRC
  3. Flat Bedrock
  4. Immibiscore
  5. Not Enough Items ( Also is there any way to make this only be available to the Admin Group )
  6. NEI Plugins
  7. PowerCrystals Core
  8. Update Checker Mod
  9. VoxelMap
  10. VoxelMenu
  11. VoxelPlayer
  12. Applied Energistics (Official Website)
  13. BiblioCraft (MC Forum)
  14. BuildCraft 3
  15. Thermal Expansion
  16. ComputerCraft
  17. MiscPeripherals
  18. Equivalent Exchange 3
  19. EnderStorage
  20. ExtrabiomesXL
  21. Factorization
  22. Forestry
  23. Extra Bees
  24. GregTech
  25. IndustrialCraft2
  26. Advanced Machines
  27. Advanced Solar Panels
  28. Charge Pads
  29. Gravitation Suite
  30. Nuclear Control
  31. IntegratedSoundpacks
  32. Inventory Tweaks
  33. Iron Chests
  34. MineFactory Reloaded (MC Forum)
  35. Modular Force Field System
  36. Modular Powersuits
  37. Nether Ores (MC Forum)
  38. Obsidian Plates
  39. OmniTools
  40. Petroleum Generator
  41. Power Converters (MC Forum)
  42. Railcraft
  43. RedPower 2
  44. Secret Rooms (MC Forum)
  45. Soul Shards
  46. Steve's Carts 2
  47. Thaumcraft 3
  48. Thaumic Bees
  49. TubeStuff (MC Forum)
  50. Wireless Redstone Chicken Bones Edition
  51. Xeno's Reliquary
  52. XyCraft

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Just a couple more ideas for you to consider.
  • Whitelist your server. Start with yourself and a few of your trusted friends so you can test any permissions
  • Consider keeping mystcraft just disable the recipe for the writing desk and the book binder. That way ages can't be created but the players could still use the books to teleport.
  • Consider adding dynmap so you have a realtime world map (sort of like google earth).