Configuring Gregtech for Noninterference

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Important: No expressions of approval or disapproval of any mod or author belong in this thread.

Overview:
I know a lot of people loved Gregtech's higher tech tiers in the 1.4.7 days, but got turned off when it changed many basic vanilla recipes in 1.5, and further couldn't be bothered to invest the time in the new Bronze-Age early game of 1.6. I aim to replicate something like the first through configs.

A player with this config should be able to ignore anything regarding Gregtech progression unless he specifically chooses to progress up the Gregtech late-game tech tree.

The highlights:
  1. No need for using a saw on wood
  2. No steel for IC² machines
  3. No stainless steel for electric tools
  4. The IC² Forge Hammer is enabled for lossless conversion of ingots to plates without a plate bender
  5. Metal blocks are crafted according to vanilla schemes *
  6. Metal tools/armor/buckets/etc. are crafted according to vanilla schemes *
(*=Except Chrome, Titanium, and Tungstensteel)
Recently: Updated for Gregtech 4.08l (L, not I.) Configs were freshly generated.
To Do: Update to GT 4.08s.

Some questions for the community:
  1. Did I miss anything? (I intend to revise this until it's good)
  2. Machine Explosions: Weather or non-wrenching makes any GT machine catch fire, explode, etc. Since you don't necessarily have to use any GT machines, I felt justified in leaving it. You?
  3. Oredict Unification: Not enabled in inventory, but IS enabled for oredict items specifically placed or piped into a Gregtech block with an inventory. How does this sit with you?
  4. What would be best regarding IC² Experimental's later tiers: Function Greggily, like in 1.4.7, or, should IC² be completely ungregged where possible (examples: mining laser, new UU matter stuff)? (currently ungregged)
I tested these on Tech World 2 and FTBLite2 (more extensively on the latter).

I'd love for additional sets of eyes to test these and provide more feedback.

Last edited:

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Just add these to "./minecraft/config/Gregtech/" as separate .cfg files and add an up-to-date IC2 Experimental and Gregtech itself to the mod folder. Your FTB Universal Configs already have IDs and worldgen set up.

First, the small one: Gregtech.cfg
http://pastebin.com/JSRpg6km

Lastly, the big one: DynamicConfig.cfg
http://pastebin.com/trpGNFa9

Updated as of this post's last post edit time ----------------------------------------->

Last edited:

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
Message Removed.

I'm not sure what purpose your post serves other than to offend. You're implying that being a GT supporter is a negative quality, I don't see how that could be anything other than offensive to the thread author or other GT supporters. The passive aggressive apology doesn't make it better either.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
If you can get this working I will be eternally grateful, I personally love the higher tier greg stuff(IDSU;))... My comments below are based on my 1.5 knowledge of greg so if they're not applicable then disregard them cos I'm not sure what's changed.

1. Good, also keep the 1 wood to 4 planks... That change just irked me
2. Good, just adds tedium and pushes ic2 further back.
3. Good, as above
4. I'm not sure what this is to un-nerf but I like the word lossless:)
5. Good
6. Good, this is by far the most important change you can do... Pissed me off no end with this change, also make sure you can make iron bars in a normal way I've cheated in iron bars my whole 1.5 world because I simply refuse to build a fooking lathe.

Next points:-

1. Iron bars as mentioned above
2. Leave this if it only affects GT machines, is a part of the gameplay of the mod.
3. I've no idea what this is, more info and I'll be able to give an opinion
4. Leave IC2 completely ungregged, try and configure GT as an ADDON like it used to be when everyone enjoyed it and greg wasn't a !@#*& :)

If you manage to get everything ungreged except for the stuff he's supposed to change then FTB may even include your configs in a pack, people will be able to play without interference and only nutters like us will delve into the GT side of things...

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I like the support for this little project in that post, but let's keep the other unhelpful opinions to a minimum. I'd love it if other posters could rephrase (rewrite) posts to the form of a question or positive addition to this project.

Also self deletion if nothing constructive comes to mind... I would consider that a graceful exit from any soapbox.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
To answer the questions regarding 1:4 and 2:3,

IC2 Experimental adds metal plates to its own recipes in place of Refined Iron as in the 1.5 days. Gregtech Hammers require two ingots to make one plate, or a machine to make one to one. The IC2 Forge Hammer isn't very durable, but it saves material before you have the metal former or plate bender, and time after you have that infrastructure.

Unification is intended as a very configurable convenience so you only have one mod's (IC2, Thermal Exp, etc) version of copper, tin, or etc. It can cause some technical and emotional problems, but not in every modpack or player base.

As to iron bars, I believe that was changed back to normal along with doors, buckets, and metal pressure plates. I don't specifically remember it, though. Trials and feedback would be welcome.

And not needing a saw to get 1 log:4 planks is what I meant.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I see, keep the IC2 system for plates. The GT way will be a pain when you're just starting IC2 and add nothing to gameplay once you get to GT because you'll already have a metal former.

If it's causing bugs then leave it out, if it still affects GT stuff then it's a price people must pay for using GT just make sure it doesn't affect anything else.

Ok thats good then, would love to give feedback but not at my pc till next week but will def help out then.

Yes keep vanilla wood mechanics it just affects too much to change it.

I think the goal should be to make GT completely invisible until you want to play it, remove ALL interference with other mods including IC2, that way server owners can add it in to a modpack and the people who want to use it can and it doesn't affect the other 90% of players.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Ideally, as far as my wishes go, Greg should have two versions of his mod: One "GregTech Full" and one "GregTech Non-intrusive". The full one would be, well, GregTech as we know it. The other would offer little interference with other mods, and little new content but what is offered at the moment.

I see myself that this is unrealistic, though. The non-intrusive version would be a pain in the rear for Greg to maintain, both keeping it able to run with the latest MC version, and it would also incite players to make all sorts of requests for "hybrid versions" that, for instance, keep some features of the full GregTech but not all.

At the moment, I think this is the best we can have, "illegal" as it might be. Well done!

Last edited:

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
"Illegal?"

These config options are all deliberately toggleable. Stock Gregtech IS both a full and lite version, this thread is just to make it a copy-paste swap, instead of time spent learning the configs (which would still be a useful skill for any beginning player, mind you).

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps illegal was a poor choice of words. I guess it would have been, if you had released a pure cut-down version of GregTech, but thinking it through, a simple cut-paste-able snippet of the config files should be perfectly legal.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing legal / illegal about changing the configs that Greg provides any time they are requested.

Having two sets of configs is actually an ideal solution for anyone that wants to add GT to any modpack (for those that don't want to fine-tune the configs themselves) as it allows for either an "Unleashed + GT" style of play, or making your own "Unhinged" pack for 1.6.

Could get Slowpoke to add in both configs to the Universal Config pack, and then the user can rename / enable whichever config they want to use. That would be awesome.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
It's hardly illegal, in fact isn't even close... The configs are there to change, Physicist has just braved them and worked out how to do it which is fantastic! God knows I tried to undo a bunch of changes in 1.5 and didn't come close to what I wanted.

Please bother reading a thread before replying with completely the wrong idea of what the thread is about.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Processing times can also be adjusted down to make building gregtech machines actually quite rewarding.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I want to adjust processing times. This is about configuring reductions in interference with normal development through other mods' trees.

Typically, you've said more and bigger is better when you're ready to tackle non-experimental use of the next tier of GT tech.

Last edited:

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
The thing I don't like about the config is that they aren't written in plain english, e.g. B:dustAmmonium_false=false. Also having a separate config option for everything is fine and all but working through it...

Anyway, personal gripes out of the way, this is a good thing you have decided to do here. I wish this happened around a month ago when I had to configure the configs myself. Regarding the technical problems from the Unification, what were the issues? I have it turned off myself simply because I didn't want it Gregifying everything.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest personal issue was Biomes O' Plenty Rubies and Sapphires converting into GT types, which are unusable for crafting the Ancient Staff. I believe this can be solved via special unification targets, but, I didn't have a spare Nether Star with which to craft the rest of the Ancient Staff at the time, so I wasn't bothered.

The problems relate to oredictionary usage standards. I've heard others report crashes, exploits, and just liking another mod's texture better but not knowing how to make it go the way they want. I haven't seen or tried very hard to replicate the first two and I haven't cared quite enough about tweaking the third to figure out how special unification targets work.

Unification does work 100% for many players and servers, just not 100% of players and servers.

Except for specific, measurable instances where unification breaks very specifically listable things, let's leave oredictionary and unification discussion for now. As I said, this config currently leaves it to the player to deliberately push items into a GT block to 'unificate'. (Experiencing deviation from that expressly intended behavior while using these configs is worth reporting here for me to fiddle with/report, too.)

Is anyone running these configs right now? Any first impressions or hiccups?[DOUBLEPOST=1389080572][/DOUBLEPOST]
The thing I don't like about the config is that they aren't written in plain english, e.g. B:dustAmmonium_false=false. Also having a separate config option for everything is fine and all but working through it...
Notepad++ is very handy for this. You can, for example, find/replace =false to =true in a highlighted selection all at once.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest personal issue was Biomes O' Plenty Rubies and Sapphires converting into GT types, which are unusable for crafting the Ancient Staff. I believe this can be solved via special unification targets, but, I didn't have a spare Nether Star with which to craft the rest of the Ancient Staff at the time, so I wasn't bothered.

The problems relate to oredictionary usage standards. I've heard others report crashes, exploits, and just liking another mod's texture better but not knowing how to make it go the way they want. I haven't seen or tried very hard to replicate the first two and I haven't cared quite enough about tweaking the third to figure out how special unification targets work.

Unification does work 100% for many players and servers, just not 100% of players and servers.

Except for specific, measurable instances where unification breaks very specifically listable things, let's leave oredictionary and unification discussion for now. As I said, this config currently leaves it to the player to deliberately push items into a GT block to 'unificate'. (Experiencing deviation from that expressly intended behavior while using these configs is worth reporting here for me to fiddle with/report, too.)

Is anyone running these configs right now? Any first impressions or hiccups?[DOUBLEPOST=1389080572][/DOUBLEPOST]
Notepad++ is very handy for this. You can, for example, find/replace =false to =true in a highlighted selection all at once.

Yeah I used Notepad++ to do it, still took me ages. Probably didn't help my modpack has around 200 mods listed on the main menu screen, that dynamic config was massive.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
200, wow. So the thing about the dynamic config is that it generates new lines every time it identifies new oredictionary stuff. As I said, the configs on this pastebin are techworld2 default. I may need to make the project larger in scope to catch many of those other mods. Techworld catches the big ones, though: Buildcraft, Forestry, MFR, Railcraft.

I would love to see reports of specific mods that get modified even with these configs so I can specially include them or major FTB packs with them.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
B:easymobgrinderrecycling_true=true
I was under the impression that just meant that things like rotten flesh couldn't go in the recycler. I saw you re-enabled basic cobble recycling. Why one and not the other?

Also, I saw you left Galena tools and armor recipe replacements. Any reason? Which mod adds Galena as a metal for tools and armor, anyway? It's only preprocessed use should be as a semiconductor.

You missed meat in storage block crafting and decrafting. I believe that's a MFR block.

I'm realizing that my previous exceptions, Chrome, Osmium, Platinum, and Tungstensteel, are not all GT exclusives.

Can anyone deny that Chrome and Tungstensteel are GT Exclusive? They'll remain the only ones on my exclusion for blocking/toolcrafting for now.