Big brothering a survival server

HBY

Jul 29, 2019
I am (still) busy setting up a hard mode survival mindcrack server with hardly any rules. This also means that griefing, killing other players, nuking each other etc. is allowed, so not much use for grief protection or logging.

However, I would still like to be able to find people's bases without too much effort, to check if any lag problems are caused by massive chicken farms some people like to build. I have installed MCPC+ and LogBlock to try some things. It's all running fine, but on the one hand LogBlock is able to log a lot of things that I don't need (like creating and destroying blocks), on the other hand it logs things I do need (like chest interaction, since players tend to put chests in their bases) without the information I need, like coordinates and player name.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe other plugins or mods other admins like?

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
Do it the old fashioned way, talk/interact with your player, note down where they are.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
If you yourself are playing legit this is a bit hard, but get yourself a full modular power suit complete with the tool. If your just being a watchful eye with NEI cheat mode then it still works.

You need to keep the total weight under or at 25kg, to avoid being slower than full speed. This means using energy shields, highest tier batteries, jet boots, jet pack, flight control, transparent armor modules, and the cloaking module. Those modules alone should keep you safe and invisible while the cloaking module is active.

For further powers, fit your tool with the blink drive with a 64 block range and perhaps a railgun and/or plasma cannon. For best results, fly at or just a few blocks below the clouds.
You should be able to use the glider module in combination with the solar and kinetic generator modules to keep your suit charged. Unless people have underground bases you will be able to see them easily. If they do have bases like that I would suggest creating some sort of game or reason to come to you. When said event is over, just track them back to their base. If they teleport away using linking books I can't do much about that.

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
Can server owner play legit? And run a server properly? If I couldn't TP I would have given up running servers ago time ago.

Dynmap is useful for been a player stalker, you can spot underground bases too, but it eats CPU.

FYI on the cloaking module. If you players have voxel they still see name plate.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, he is going to need something like VanishNoPacket plugin and access to the teleport commands. I assumed he was using the Direwolf20 pack for his server, and therefore he would have Rei's minimap not Voxel.

HBY

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running the mindcrack pack. Teleporting to places is no problem, teleporting to people's bases when they're not around and I don't have coordinates is. If the server is starting to experience huuuge lag issues all of a sudden I just want to check if players aren't keeping hundreds of chickens or running broken pipe systems that drop large amounts of items on the floor all the time.

HBY

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, you got a point there. Might as well just teleport to different people when lag issues occur.

HBY

Jul 29, 2019
Afraid I turned them all off. Don't most servers turn them off to prevent possible lag?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
No, most servers limit them, but turning them all off ruins one of the primary attractions of the FTB packs, which is automation.

HBY

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you're right. My server hasn't gone public yet, could be worth another look. On the other hand: I would really hate chunks being loaded all the time.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
In the forge chunk loading config you can limit number of tickets aka chunk loaders per player, and/or limit the total number of chunks loaded per player.

HBY

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! Normally a player would keep just one chunk loaded, right? So the second loaded chunk would already be a chunk loader? Or do I need to take into account the time it takes to unload a chunk when a player moves to another?

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
a chunk is 16 blocks by 16 blocks.

how many chunks a player loads is dependent mainly on the players render distance, every chunk a player see's is loaded.

You can also set anchors to only work when players are online.
Railcraft = allow personal anchors not world anchors
Chickenchunks = in the config.