1.5 Texture Changes - your opinion?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
One of the biggest things that 1.5 does 'behind the scenes' is the change to textures, making each individual texture their own separate file rather than a single file for broad swaths of textures.

From the end-user perspective, this can either be horribad or incredibly awesome. Personally, I'm leaning to the latter. It makes customization of your textures incredibly easy, as long as you keep your resolutions the same. For example, using the John Smith Tech pack, if you want a 'clear' window that doesn't have frames in the middle, you can easily do that. Just pull one out of... say... the Faithful pack, and swap it out. Done.

Of course, since you now have a whole pile of files rather than one or two, finding the right one to swap out might be a minor consideration, and would certainly be confusing for newbies, however I much prefer the customizability this offers.

However, that's the opinion of a single end-user. What do the texture pack makers feel about this? What do other end-users think? Will it impact your play at all? Are you itching to start mixing and matching? Are you throwing up your hands in frustrating and flinging inventive profanity at Mojang?

Inquiring minds want to know!

retep998

NoLifeBunny
Wiki Staff
Dec 31, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
One nice change about this, is that a texturepack author can create a single texture for all copper ingots, and then have a script copy that to all the respective mods.

Jul 29, 2019
It would be a bit tedious to edit every single individual mod texture file...
But you could animate them. I don't really know what to think, I just hope they have an unstitcher for mod files.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
One nice change about this, is that a texturepack author can create a single texture for all copper ingots, and then have a script copy that to all the respective mods.
The problem with that being they are still different item ID's, so they still wouldn't stack. You'd want to be able to differentiate them, just so you can convert them to the mod ore of choice.

Zica

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kind of torn.

On one hand I like it a lot because if a mod updates, you don't have to merge your current texture sheet with the new one just for the vanilla textures to show.

On the other hand, it's going to be a lot harder and more annoying to work on multiple sprites at a time, each having their own tab in photoshop, or w/e.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
I feel the change is a good thing in some ways - Like already said above, it means textures can be swapped out by the player easily without having to edit anything, and it also means when mods add textures, they don't show as missing textures until texture packs are updated.

However, it's going to be a pain for those of us who are making textures, as it's a lot harder to juggle around lots of 32x.etc images and paste things around as opposed to working all on one sprite sheet.

ryanjh5521

Jul 29, 2019
The update nearly tripled my FPS. I used to get 50-100 FPS. Now I get 300+. Also did I mention I had Optifine in 1.4.7 and in 1.5.1 I didnt.

Cman333

Jul 29, 2019
I usually make packs for myself, and I personally think this update is going to be a bit of pain at first but after that it would work extremely well since I wouldn't have future texture incompatibilities or invisible texture ever again.