Overrated/Underrated Mods and Modpacks

CuteTurret

Jul 29, 2019
I know Minefactory Reloaded is almost in every modpack, but I would like to point that some of his items are totally ignored. The RedNet energy cable for example, it does power conversion from RF->EU and the opposite, its really helpful if you dont want to waste time making another power plant just for another mod.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I know Minefactory Reloaded is almost in every modpack, but I would like to point that some of his items are totally ignored. The RedNet energy cable for example, it does power conversion from RF->EU and the opposite, its really helpful if you dont want to waste time making another power plant just for another mod.

Very true!

I can honestly say I had no idea there was even a Mob Counter machine in there until I was looking up ways of automating animal farming! I didn't used to think much of the very brutal industrial approach of it (liquid meat!!!) but it has now become a mod I rate very highly; it has some very clever things in there! And once I started looking into what the PRC does... holy moly! I really need to learn about that stuff, as its very nifty.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, I missed the flame war happen between my eyes :c I went to grab popcorn and by the time I am back, I missed it :c. Jk xD I do guess Project E is highly op which I decided to go with EE3 instead on Rvyian (my magic pack ;) )

playerismc

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion Gendustry is a bit underrated. It's a cool addon for forestry, and I know it's OP, but you can nerf it. But in my opinion it is a great mod, if your playing with bees from Forestry. Another mod which is also underrated in my opinion is Magical Crops. You can make really cool things with it. A good example is the Regrowth modpack. Magical Crops and Botania are mixed together and this is working really good. And Magical Crops is not that OP, because normaly the drop rate of Essence Seed, and extra seeds is low. So you need to mine a lot of essence dust to make new Seeds. But when you have some seeds, you are good to go.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
I almost forgot about magical crops
i've not had the chance to use it yet cause it kept crashing
:\ but i'd love to try it

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
In my opinion Gendustry is a bit underrated. It's a cool addon for forestry, and I know it's OP, but you can nerf it. But in my opinion it is a great mod, if your playing with bees from Forestry. Another mod which is also underrated in my opinion is Magical Crops. You can make really cool things with it. A good example is the Regrowth modpack. Magical Crops and Botania are mixed together and this is working really good. And Magical Crops is not that OP, because normaly the drop rate of Essence Seed, and extra seeds is low. So you need to mine a lot of essence dust to make new Seeds. But when you have some seeds, you are good to go.
It's nice to hear something positive about Gendustry - I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to at least give it a go before I finish my AgSkies playthrough! :)

And I also like Magical Crops! I'm sure I've already mentioned this here, but when playing in a modpack with no automated farming or mining, that definitely adds some balance to it.

And speaking of balance (again, sure I've said this, but): have you seen the use of magical crops in Blood N Bones? Naturally gated to later game (Witchery Dreamworld) progress, and expensive to boot! Ultimately it's as balanced as you make it, but I'd never call it unquestionably OP.

- GwnG

Reactions: playerismc

playerismc

Jul 29, 2019
I did not play Blood N Bones because I'm not the hard hardcore modpack fan.

But gendustry is really nice. A bit OP because you can get thaumcraft bees from addons through mixing bees together in a special bloock (forgot the name of it) but you can get it balanced. The autonomic Bee Hive it gives, requires a good bit of power but you can let a Bee work in any Biome. You just need some upgrades. So its fun to play, but it needs some nerfing in my opinion.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
*looks shiftily left and right*

*whispers* (I haven't played it either!)

BUT - having watched vids and done a bit of research, it's well thought-out :)

Ooh nice! Hmm maybe nerfing can be done with requiring high end materials for the equipment?

playerismc

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, pretty much. Well you need some diamonds and some power and a bit time, but maybe nerfing the mutation chance for bees and disableing some mutations would also good.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yep, pretty much. Well you need some diamonds and some power and a bit time, but maybe nerfing the mutation chance for bees and disableing some mutations would also good.
This conversation is probably spinning away from the initial intent of the thread, but I'm enjoying it :D

Research has probably been overdone, but maybe some sort of unlockable mutation tree along the lines of the Terrann's Zerg research tree in StarCraft II - obtaining research points to unlock particular trees? It would have to be different from things like Thaumcraft and from the original Forestry... Perhaps taking samples from the biomes you need (including the Nether and the End) to unlock those mutations? Needs more thought...

Loke

Jul 29, 2019
Imo TE is highly overrated. It is far too simple. It is fun to play once and never again. I only install it since many mods need RF.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Imo TE is highly overrated. It is far too simple. It is fun to play once and never again. I only install it since many mods need RF.
Now, are you basing this on TE3, or the new TE4 with the separation into modules? Because that is considerably more complex, and there is more to it than TE3!

- GwnG

Reactions: PierceSG

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Might give it a try I suppose.

I think that's a good plan - at least then you can say you gave it a fair go!

While I wouldn't say TE3 is overrated exactly, I've definitely used it a lot, to the point where I want to give other things a go. I love the look of EnderIO, and I've never actually gotten to use it, so that's definitely one I want to delve into!

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
So a bit of topic, But does anyone know a mod that adds the ability to make it daytime (in the overworld) Without sleeping? - Something that is able to be automated

Finvaara

Jul 29, 2019
So a bit of topic, But does anyone know a mod that adds the ability to make it daytime (in the overworld) Without sleeping? - Something that is able to be automated
Project E has the Watch of Flowing Time. It can't be automated so well, but it's all of a rightclick.