[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
As you can see, there are a zillion and a half mods out there and they pretty much all work with Refugee to Regent

I'd suggest playing around with a couple of the "all the things" packs on various launchers to get a good handle on your preferences if you really want to play R2R with mods. Then look at the packs used by @The Mobius Archives @VaalDeth @Senseidragon and the other regular commenters on the thread and if you don't know what a mod is (and can't figure it out through a quick Google search, or want to know why we included this mod over that mod) ask us questions, we won't bite (unless you ask politely :p).

I can give you my current mod list, it's an ecclectic mix of Resonant Rise 3 Mainline, Direwolf20, and an obsessively constant checking of new mods on NotEnoughMods, this forum, and the MCF Modlist. With plenty of mods removed from both packs, and basically every mod's config files tweaked, from one option to basically the whole darn file. It's also got a lot of "pack maker" mods in it like Minetweaker, TellMe, and WorldEdit... because I am a hopeless tinkerer :)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I can give you my current mod list, it's an ecclectic mix of Resonant Rise 3 Mainline, Direwolf20, and an obsessively constant checking of new mods on NotEnoughMods, this forum, and the MCF Modlist. With plenty of mods removed from both packs, and basically every mod's config files tweaked, from one option to basically the whole darn file. It's also got a lot of "pack maker" mods in it like Minetweaker, TellMe, and WorldEdit... because I am a hopeless tinkerer :)

This sounds so much like what I do. :) Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one around here!

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I've decided to start with Hardcore settings and... wow. All houses built out of Clay... I got almost a stack of clay and it can't even finish a single room for my initial house. I think it may be a bit too difficult, maybe at least we could use hay for the ceiling? I mean, it makes sense, Thatch has historically been used for ceilings of huts. Oh well, it IS supposed to be hard. But everything else about Hardcore settings seems at least a little balanced.

This was complaining hour, thank you for being annoyed

Reactions: Senseidragon

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Just noticed I had accidentally kept the x4 multiplier from HO on, MAN VANILLA CROPS GROW FAST! I had just finished harvesting a small group of wheat when one of the plants finished growing half way... I'm setting the multiplier to x2.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I actually keep the multiplier at 1. Unless it's the early game and I start in a desert I can have a bajillionty wheat without THAT much effort.
I also usually play with Extra Utilities, so I *used* to have watering cans reasonably early... then he went and made them out of iron for non-peaceful... and that's annoying, but just means I parallelize more. Wasn't a factor for my dirtcore playthrough though. I actually liked how long the challenge stretched out in dirtcore. That was back before the wooden hoe exception so man was I ever glad I started in an Origin Valley! The village elders' housing was definitely the most annoying part of Dirt Hovel for me. I ended up using mostly signage, did you go with ladders, torches, or buttons Sensei?

I'm going to second the reccommendation for Fastcraft. It's amazing what it does for performance, and it doesn't break All The Things like optifine (which doesn't usually improve performance that much).

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
It looks very nice. Make sure you have the internal dimensions right though. It looks like you may need a support beam in there somewhere.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I ended up using mostly signage, did you go with ladders, torches, or buttons Sensei?

I remember walking for DAYS to find a village back then. My house was pretty easy, as were the elder huts. I had a few MFR Rubber Trees near spawn, so sticks+rubber got me an easy early source of torches. The "grow your food in a village" part nearly killed me due to the time it took to find the village. When I did, I just relocated near there, as I wasn't about to trek back to my starting point.

Sadly, I didn't complete that iteration of the challenge.

Currently, I've got villages showing up reasonably well, and with AgriCraft installed, I give no speed multipliers at all via Hunger Overhaul. Making the crop-sticks works quite well for early agricultural setups.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Was that in the revised Wiki, or the original Wiki? The one I'm referencing (old one) indicated this:
If your Hovel is longer than 3 blocks long/wide in any direction, it must be supported. It may be
supported by a 2 block high Log pillar, or a 2x2 Dirt/Gravel/Clay support pillar.

Then for Hardcore:
Player Dwelling/Estate (7 Points)
  • You may only use Clay to build your Hut
  • The Hut's dimensions must be at least 6x6
    • Expand the hut to at least 10x10 +1
  • The Hut must be sealed with double Wooden Doors
    • Build at least 1 additional entrance +1
      • Additional entrances do not need to have double Doors
    • Doors must open with Pressure Plates or Buttons
  • Emergency Escape Hatch entrance built into the ceiling to escape from hostile mobs +1
  • Rooms
    • You must have at least a bedroom and a main room
    • Build a Work Room +1
    • Build a Storage Room +1
    • Build Additional Stage-appropriate Room(s). +1 (if in addition to Work Room/Storage Room, otherwise stacks to a max bonus of +3)
    • See the Dwellings page for inspiration if needed
  • Furnishings (Cap of +2)
    • Crafting Bench
    • Double Chest
    • Bed
    • Filled Item Frame +1
      • 3 filled Item Frames +2 (replaces 1/+1)
    • Painting +1

I inquire not to challenge @1SDAN but rather for my own benefit, because my interpretation ends up with my buildings requiring a lot of (ugly) supports in Dirtcore due to the cave-in paranoia. If I've been reading it wrong, I want to know! :)

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Was that in the revised Wiki, or the original Wiki? The one I'm referencing (old one) indicated this:

Then for Hardcore:

I inquire not to challenge @1SDAN but rather for my own benefit, because my interpretation ends up with my buildings requiring a lot of (ugly) supports in Dirtcore due to the cave-in paranoia. If I've been reading it wrong, I want to know! :)
No, I just seriously forgot the whole log support thing...

EDIT: To be completely honest, I used Hay bales for the ceiling, but other than that I'm going by the rules... except what I forgot :p

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hey, Rule of Cool comes before all the rest. I think the place looks snazzy, myself.

I'm working on trying to bend HQM to my will with the R2R challenge, and so far most looks ok, but some parts are still giving me fits. I can't (for example) detect whether a player has tamed wolves to breed a puppy or tamed a horse. I just have to pretty much skip over those. I've got a reputation system in place, so that you can move on to the next stage after getting so many points in the current stage, but I can't (yet) figure out the option they recently added to require a certain reputation level before unlocking a quest. I can add the task, but I see no way to actually set the reputation level needed. :-(

By the way, I have Headcrumbs in my pack, and I tell ya, having a psychotic GenerikB or CaptainSparkles trying to kill you while you farm is pretty interesting.

I may have to tone down the spawn rate on that a tad.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Here is a starting album I made while working on the HQM quest book. It is my first couple of days being attacked at various points by certain personalities. My gallery is safe for work, I cannot vouch for any random stuff that trends on the rest of the site though. :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/O2FkE/new

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Oh right, the 10x10 was a bonus. Whoopsy! But a 10x10 internal requires support pillars, or a pair of dividing walls to give you 4 rooms. Which is what I built because if you're going for hardcore anyway, may as well go for as many points as is Steve-ily possible :) Though technically that was a warping of the structure rules at the time. I think the new(er) ones allow for interior walls acting as supports... mostly because there are no "interior" walls, just blocks floating unsupported and their distance from a wall or pillar.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I believe you're right, I just can't find the post (or page) where that note was. <sigh>

Do you know what a pain in the neck it is to try and figure a way to HQM some of these are?

The work that @Thes33 did here looks pretty good from where I'm standing. I wonder if he'd be willing to release a copy of his work so far?

I still haven't come up with a decent way to cough up pre-defined CustomNPCs. That may end up being a pipe dream for now. I did however come up with a great use for Schematica. By requiring a specific count of materials in a quest to be obtained by the player (for building a particular structure) I can then direct the user to load up the appropriate schematic (R2R-Dirt-Hovel, for example) and let them use the "printer" feature to automatically build a template version of the hovel out of the materials present in their inventory. It would help the creatively challenged to get started with some basic structures at the beginning, and doesn't constrain them from just tearing it down and re-doing it more to their tastes after they've seen the basic idea. Later, they can then use Schematica independently of a particular quest to lay down more copies of buildings as long as they have the materials in their possession when they do so.

This would let people also incorporate some of the designs found on places like mcschematics.com into their worlds without relying on something more "cheaty" (with respect to requiring materials) like MCEdit.

What do you think?

Edit: Added Schematica mcforum link.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Another source for building schematics can be found over at planetminecraft. Here's some older work by a user named DeerAssassin0424 that is pretty darn good.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you're right, I just can't find the post (or page) where that note was. <sigh>

Do you know what a pain in the neck it is to try and figure a way to HQM some of these are?

The work that @Thes33 did here looks pretty good from where I'm standing. I wonder if he'd be willing to release a copy of his work so far?

I still haven't come up with a decent way to cough up pre-defined CustomNPCs. That may end up being a pipe dream for now. I did however come up with a great use for Schematica. By requiring a specific count of materials in a quest to be obtained by the player (for building a particular structure) I can then direct the user to load up the appropriate schematic (R2R-Dirt-Hovel, for example) and let them use the "printer" feature to automatically build a template version of the hovel out of the materials present in their inventory. It would help the creatively challenged to get started with some basic structures at the beginning, and doesn't constrain them from just tearing it down and re-doing it more to their tastes after they've seen the basic idea. Later, they can then use Schematica independently of a particular quest to lay down more copies of buildings as long as they have the materials in their possession when they do so.

This would let people also incorporate some of the designs found on places like mcschematics.com into their worlds without relying on something more "cheaty" (with respect to requiring materials) like MCEdit.

What do you think?

Edit: Added Schematica mcforum link.

The new clone feature for custom NPC's doesn't work well for sharing NPC's? Note that I have literally never played with it, so... I'm mostly going off Stuff I Read On The Internet (always dangerous).

The Schematica idea is brilliant. I used it a bit in 1.6, how oredict compatable and/or metadata insensitive is the printer function? Because that might be a bit of an issue if you build a schematic with wood in particular, and even stone. With mods in the vein of Underground Biomes, PFAA, or Geostrata, you might not be able to use "cobblestone". Unless the schematics chosen materials are easy to replace... in which case some simple instructions would be all that's required, heh.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
You can clone NPCs till your fingers ache, but giving the user an NPC wand or a clone tool essentially just lets them make as many NPCs as they like. No sort of controls whatsoever. The two Spawners that are included with CustomNPCs are likewise of no use, as they don't really have any control over what they spawn. Not in any useful sense of the word, anyway.

With CustomNPCs for now at least, it looks like it'll pretty much be an honor-system thing. Ultimately each player is free to play as they choose anyway. It is up to them how strictly they want to follow the rules.

Schematica is good, but the auto-printing feature is still a little shaky (best to construct things one layer at a time if possible) and is not at all fuzzy in the blocks it expects to replace. If you use a minecraft:stone_slab in the original schematic, it had darn sure better be a minecraft:stone_slab in the copy. This may change in a future version of schematica, but at present it is for exact copies only.

Edit: In one of my HQM test quests, I had the user gather the required amount of materials but set the matching to be fuzzy, so I really didn't care what kind of logs or planks they gathered, it all qualified. I then took those materials as a consume task, and then gave the materials that the building schematic needed back as a reward. It's a little cheesy, but a workaround for now.

Edit 2: Corrected spelling error.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomeWyrm and 1SDAN

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
So I was playing today and noticed that I've been constantly skipping to dawn mostly due to my desire to play this through without being harassed by monsters, which I then turned to wondering why my people do not eat, which led to me thinking of adding a custom rule set for feeding peoples, which led to thinking about why crafting tables and the such are so important if all they give is +1, which then I though "Well, I'm only in the first era" which then led to the thought of adding "productivity" and "happiness" which finally led to me realizing: Why not talk to these guys about ideas for this stuff as an additional rule set. As such, I thought I might as well ramble some ideas.

So maybe food can be a cost to crafting, and crafting certain items cost food, which is measured by how much hunger it heals. (Playing with HO makes it more balanced IMO)
And then there's a few types of cost increases based on what you're crafting:
  • 3x3: +1 Food Cost
  • Tool +1 Food Cost
  • Weapon: +2 Food Cost
  • Armor: +2 Food Cost
  • Machine/Appliance: +2 Food Cost
  • 1x1: -1
  • Bulk (16+ at once): -1 Food Cost each
  • Bulk (64+ at once): -2 Food Cost each
So with food costs starting at 1, you will need a constant supply of food for constant crafting. It does not apply however for cyclical recipes (Hay Bale, Multiparts, Iron Blocks etc) nor any recipes that seem stupid to add this to. (Rule of Cool) You can also pay in other things, which I'll get to later. Crafting in machines or appliances that are mechanical or non-crafting type do not apply (Furnace, Macerator etc)

Then there'd be production which is produced by your citizens. It can be used as an alternative for hunger, and a limited amount is produced daily. The average citizen produces 1 Production, but things like Furnishings or their rank changes things. For example, a Noble may produce more than a bum, and a crafting table could produce +1 Production for those living in the house. Of course, as the ages go by, daily food per citizen requirements increases along with the increased availability of food and food collection processes.

I was thinking about how x4 food with HO takes so long, and that may very well be a good thing. It would require more hunting and gathering than the basic "build a farm and you're set" and would add meaning to using food for crafting. Similar things could be used for happiness, smelting, etc.

I feel it may not be the best of ideas, but maybe it could be a start of something