ChunkLoaders and controlling there use

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
On every public server I've been on that doesn't restrict chunk loaders, there has been ENORMOUS lag. However! Every private server I've been on that doesn't restrict chunkloaders has chugged along quite nicely. The problem isn't the chunkloaders, it's what's in those chunks. So here's how I'd do it.
1. Make the server private and have your server community vote on new applications. A server I'm on does this and it works wonderfully(I'll post a template of the application if you are interested.)
2. Encourage players to build across chunks.
3. Auto-restart every 6 hours.
4. Do routine TPS checks with OPIS, not just when it lags.
5. When you find lag sources, tell the player what it is and why it is.
6. Put a big board at spawn listing common lag sources so players know about them. Not all players frequent the forums!

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Why I always build my BC quarries over the ocean. No problems with lava, or draining the quarry after use, and no ugly hole in the landscape.
The drawback being that you only get resources that spawn below y=48 or whatever the ocean floor average is. Anyway, BC quarries deal quite stupidly with lava and consequently absolutely have to be run flooded.

If that's how you feel about them I'd suggest using the alternatives(Q+, Ender quarry, or the like) as large flooded BC quarries with their 10s of thousands of flowing blocks can bring a server to its knees.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Even if you don't personally flood them, chances are they'll flood themselves via an underground pool.
It'll be pretty good if quarries required water to run; automatically filling the quarry hole with water source blocks.
- or could be reversed and pump out any fluid that gets in the way, walling in side caves with cobble/junk.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If that's how you feel about them I'd suggest using the alternatives(Q+, Ender quarry, or the like) as large flooded BC quarries with their 10s of thousands of flowing blocks can bring a server to its knees.

There is no cost to 'flowing water'. The CPU cost of flooded chunks comes when a partially flooded quarry causes cascading block updates when drained or as mining causes water to flood into new areas. A properly pre flooded quarry or an ocean based quarry has no ongoing extra CPU cost even while mining.

Reactions: immibis

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
On every public server I've been on that doesn't restrict chunk loaders, there has been ENORMOUS lag. However! Every private server I've been on that doesn't restrict chunkloaders has chugged along quite nicely. The problem isn't the chunkloaders, it's what's in those chunks. So here's how I'd do it.
1. Make the server private and have your server community vote on new applications. A server I'm on does this and it works wonderfully(I'll post a template of the application if you are interested.)
2. Encourage players to build across chunks.
3. Auto-restart every 6 hours.
4. Do routine TPS checks with OPIS, not just when it lags.
5. When you find lag sources, tell the player what it is and why it is.
6. Put a big board at spawn listing common lag sources so players know about them. Not all players frequent the forums!
this is a nice idea, but players dont care about server health alot of the time. they dont understand how there actions effect the TPS. after all thats why there not the Admins. if you dont set limits players will go willy nilly. exmaple before i set limits on mystcraft worlds i came back one day to find 40 new worlds made and the person was like, what what did i do something wrong?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
And what do you feel is wrong with 400000 mmystcraft ages?

You should probably ask your favorite SMP server operator that question instead? :) I assume there is a reason when I played on a server once upon a time, the rule was "ONE Mystcraft age per player".

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
And what do you feel is wrong with 40 mmystcraft ages?
you would not be allowed on my server just for answering that kind of way. if you honestly do not know the sort of stress you put on the server for generating 40 worlds in one day the lag you be putting on other players as you jump in and explore all those worlds. the fact that mystcraft likes to always chunkload the worlds starting area

as a user of the FTB boards i assume most are server admins here or knowledgeable in the use of the mods for single player. i got enough time dealing with people who honestly do not understand the back end of what it takes to run a server why these things are bad than coming from some one(you) who is familer with how things work in the back end of the server to ask such questions.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I am not speaking as a player. I am speaking as a server operator. Who has not experienced a player creating 40 mystcraft ages.
But:
1. Practically speaking, for players to create their "one" myscraft age, they need to create multiple ages to explore the generated libraries.
2. Ive personally seen no evidence that mystcraft preloads ages. unvisited ages do not seem to stress a server at all.
3. The players I have that create ages notify the other players when they visit a new age.

So, my personal issue with age creation lies solely in the disk space cost of the ages no one uses or visits after looting - or the non zero chance that mystcraft generates a random age with thaumcraft flux liquid seas. Which will crash the server.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
this is a nice idea, but players dont care about server health alot of the time. they dont understand how there actions effect the TPS. after all thats why there not the Admins. if you dont set limits players will go willy nilly. exmaple before i set limits on mystcraft worlds i came back one day to find 40 new worlds made and the person was like, what what did i do something wrong?
If they don't care, they have no place on the server.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
I am not speaking as a player. I am speaking as a server operator. Who has not experienced a player creating 40 mystcraft ages.
But:
1. Practically speaking, for players to create their "one" myscraft age, they need to create multiple ages to explore the generated libraries.
2. Ive personally seen no evidence that mystcraft preloads ages. unvisited ages do not seem to stress a server at all.
3. The players I have that create ages notify the other players when they visit a new age.

So, my personal issue with age creation lies solely in the disk space cost of the ages no one uses or visits after looting - or the non zero chance that mystcraft generates a random age with thaumcraft flux liquid seas. Which will crash the server.
on server start and shut down, I will read all th time it is loading and unloading the worlds. and also opis will show the port in spots loaded. many mods cause portals to have force loaded chunks

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
If they don't care, they have no place on the server.
love them hate them, you take what you got with your friends. majority of them just know how to play a game. not much IT experience if any at all most of them have

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
love them hate them, you take what you got with your friends. majority of them just know how to play a game. not much IT experience if any at all most of them have
I may not know much. I do like to learn though and am more then willing to read the rules boards on the servers I visit. I especially like the ones written on monitors or the like. Vanilla signs will work.

Just educate them. place up some well written (and brief) information at world spawn and tell them it is there if they would like to read on how to keep the game running smoothly for everyone. Just take notes on everything you find that causes lag and post it.

Remember, friends are the family you get to choose. Should have left that last sentence out.

Reactions: Wagon153