[LAM] Learn A Mod - Project (Recruitments are open!)

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly sure you have the man power, and I imagine each room will take a game session to complete if each individual person does one at a time, also you are underestimating the length of the wait. If all modders were updating to 1.7 then we'd likely have the next pack in July, however 1.8 isn't even out yet and given the track record of FTB the 1.8 packs won't be out until December. That's a hell of a long time. If you wait that long you'll start losing interest and therefore manpower.
4-5 people isn't nearly enough to finish the project in a reasonable timeframe. Keep in mind, we want to cover a whole modpack, not just a few mods. Even if we take a more reasonable modpack like horizon, there will be a ton of mods to cover and not everybody in the team will be able to build 24/7.

For example, a mod like thaumcraft would take me at least 2-3 weeks to cover all aspects in bite sized chunks, not counting the time needed to make everything look nice. And there are far more complex mods out there, that will take even more time.

Personally, i would rather start sooner than later, for the same reasons you pointed out. But you underestimate the actual work that has to be done on this project. It's not like the FTB maps, where you have a set of goals and you have to figure out how to get there, they are much simpler (for the builders). And even they had a much bigger team than just the currently 4 team members of LAM.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
4-5 people isn't nearly enough to finish the project in a reasonable timeframe. Keep in mind, we want to cover a whole modpack, not just a few mods. Even if we take a more reasonable modpack like horizon, there will be a ton of mods to cover and not everybody in the team will be able to build 24/7.

For example, a mod like thaumcraft would take me at least 2-3 weeks to cover all aspects in bite sized chunks, not counting the time needed to make everything look nice. And there are far more complex mods out there, that will take even more time.

Personally, i would rather start sooner than later, for the same reasons you pointed out. But you underestimate the actual work that has to be done on this project. It's not like the FTB maps, where you have a set of goals and you have to figure out how to get there, they are much simpler (for the builders). And even they had a much bigger team than just the currently 4 team members of LAM.
You are right, I was underestimating the amount of work required, but I believe you are underestimating how long it'll be before 1.8 packs. Honestly not until the end of the year. Minecraft updates every six months and FTB updates about 6 months later. 1.8 isn't even out yet. I say make a start soonish, you'll likely be able to carry over a lot of worlds.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
[...]you'll likely be able to carry over a lot of worlds.
The problem is, that it won't be separate worlds/maps, it's one huge map with different mystcraft ages. And some of the mods i want definitely to be covered have major changes in them, so that they become incompatible to their 1.6.4 versions, i.e. a somewhat complete rebuild would be necessary.

Let's just say, if there is a "good" 1.7.x pack, then we will start there... starting with 1.6.4 is not feasible at this moment.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I'd like to apply as an Applied Energistics/Applied Energistics 2 Mod expert. I made a couple of rooms for AE1, which I uploaded here (For 164 Direwolf20). It demonstrates how to craft, set, and use the P2P Tunnels from AE1. I can do AE2 as well, but there's no official modpack for that yet (I added it to the Unstable 1.7.2).

I was actually going to start work on something similar, which you can see here, but I think that either one would be an excellent way to help new mod players learn to use them, and this way is much farther along than mine.

Last edited:

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to apply as an Applied Energistics/Applied Energistics 2 Mod expert. I made a couple of rooms for AE1, which I uploaded here (For 164 Direwolf20). It demonstrates how to craft, set, and use the P2P Tunnels from AE1. I can do AE2 as well, but there's no official modpack for that yet (I added it to the Unstable 1.7.2).

I was actually going to start work on something similar, which you can see here, but I think that either one would be an excellent way to help new mod players learn to use them, and this way is much farther along than mine.
Very nice work, you also solved a few issues i was struggling with. Namely how to detect if the player has completed the task, i thought of using CC turtles but your solution is a bit more elegant.

We're waiting for 1.7.2 anyway, 1.6.4 doesn't really makes sense at the moment. I.e it will take some time until we start the building phase.

Welcome on board.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice work, you also solved a few issues i was struggling with. Namely how to detect if the player has completed the task, i thought of using CC turtles but your solution is a bit more elegant.

We're waiting for 1.7.2 anyway, 1.6.4 doesn't really makes sense at the moment. I.e it will take some time until we start the building phase.

Welcome on board.

It makes so much sense. Most modders are skipping 1.7.2. We'll be waiting until at least 1.8. Waiting is such a bad idea.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
It makes so much sense. Most modders are skipping 1.7.2. We'll be waiting until at least 1.8. Waiting is such a bad idea.
As i said over and over again, for this kind of project we need far more people than you think are enough. Well, we could start with a hand full of people, but before the map is finished, 1.8 will be out and we're still busy with a map for 1.6.4. Yes, not all modders will be on 1.7.2 and yes 1.8.x is still down the line.

But patience is an important thing for projects like this. If i had a team of 20+ people, i could start right away, but i don't have them yet. So i have to wait for more people and use the time i have to refine the project essentials. Work out solutions for problems that may come up and so on.

And yes, some people may lose interest in the project and some of the staff will drop out, but that are things i have to life with.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 modpacks won't be out until December. It's not about patience, it's about practicality. That kind of wait is ridiculous.

BrainInBlack

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 modpacks won't be out until December. It's not about patience, it's about practicality. That kind of wait is ridiculous.
Either you don't get it, or you don't want to.

The current goal is 1.7.2 and i don't care if not all modders will participate in 1.7.2, that means less work for us.

Now, do me a favor, unless you managed a project like this before (20+ people and a mountain of work to do), stop arguing about stuff you don't have the faintest idea off.

tzuf23

Jul 29, 2019
i would like to apply for ars magica 2 mod expert and i would like to know if you see this one as to basic ill make another one about one of the more complicated crafting mechanics iwould also like to focus (if you accept me) on the more complicated crafting mechanics and affinitys and other not explained skills and attributes

Attachments

• 2014-06-01_18.22.12.png
    2014-06-01_18.22.12.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 2014-06-01_18.22.16.png
    2014-06-01_18.22.16.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 77

MineAtomic101

Jul 29, 2019
I want to join to help other people understand Minecraft, and also to help them with mods concerning the use of nuclear energy.[DOUBLEPOST=1402054025][/DOUBLEPOST]This is a sample of a nuclear power plant i just made, i hope you like it :).

Attachments

• 2014-05-26_17.58.38.png
    2014-05-26_17.58.38.png
    982.8 KB · Views: 79

Gaming_guru

Jul 29, 2019
I Would like to apply for Mod expert Advanced Genetics. I just want to help people like my friends understand the mods and I feel this will be a great opportunity.

(Currently Making Sample)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Either you don't get it, or you don't want to.

The current goal is 1.7.2 and i don't care if not all modders will participate in 1.7.2, that means less work for us.

Now, do me a favor, unless you managed a project like this before (20+ people and a mountain of work to do), stop arguing about stuff you don't have the faintest idea off.
@Mevansuto can be a bit tricky to work with sometimes ( :p ) but he's on the ball here my friend.

From a project management perspective, you're going to want to examine this excellent idea from a different angle.

Critically: Minecraft updates regularly enough that waiting for a specific version will never work; once you begin earnest work on 1.8 or 1.7 mods, The Next Big Thing (1.9?) will be around the corner.
Importantly: This project needs to be done iteratively; less planning, more doing. Don't try to do all mods at once. Start with 5 mods, call it a Beta, and release more and more content. "Develop games, not engines."
Off-Topically: Have you considered HQM as a means to track success/performance?

Honestly, I've seen this sort of project start and fizzle a thousand times. Keep the greater picture in mind, but if you don't start small and while the interest-level is burning hot, I would wager a serious sum of money that the project will never even get off the ground.

My background: I regularly manage projects like these with 20+ people involved and a mountain of work to do. Actually, why am I on this forum again in the middle of the afternoon :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Mevansuto

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
@Mevansuto can be a bit tricky to work with sometimes ( :p ) but he's on the ball here my friend.

From a project management perspective, you're going to want to examine this excellent idea from a different angle.

Critically: Minecraft updates regularly enough that waiting for a specific version will never work; once you begin earnest work on 1.8 or 1.7 mods, The Next Big Thing (1.9?) will be around the corner.
Importantly: This project needs to be done iteratively; less planning, more doing. Don't try to do all mods at once. Start with 5 mods, call it a Beta, and release more and more content. "Develop games, not engines."
Off-Topically: Have you considered HQM as a means to track success/performance?

Honestly, I've seen this sort of project start and fizzle a thousand times. Keep the greater picture in mind, but if you don't start small and while the interest-level is burning hot, I would wager a serious sum of money that the project will never even get off the ground.

My background: I regularly manage projects like these with 20+ people involved and a mountain of work to do. Actually, why am I on this forum again in the middle of the afternoon :p

Difficult to work with? o_O

Reactions: Not_Steve and Pyure

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Well that looks like something I could help :p

I could be an expert in a few mods:
RotaryCraft (Not in DW20)
AE1 and Extracells
Tinker's Construct
Big Reactors
Magical Crops (Not in DW20)

And here are the ones I could also give a hand, without being a said expert with:
Reactorcraft (Not in DW20)
Electricraft (Not in DW20)
Steve's Cart
MFR
Reliquary (Not in DW20)
JABBA
Gendustry (Not in DW20)
Blood Magic
MPS
Opis
Roguelike Dungeon (Not in DW20)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Those who are interested in contributing shouldn't really feel like they should wait to put something together. Just create a big room with a number of learning-curve objectives which will take you from start to finish. Sort of like a Portal level.

Reactions: Mevansuto

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Those who are interested in contributing shouldn't really feel like they should wait to put something together. Just create a big room with a number of learning-curve objectives which will take you from start to finish. Sort of like a Portal level.

I will probably work out something along these line for RoC soon. I would love to do it for ReC but not good enough just yet