Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Hey Mr. Padfoote, just wanted to let you know that as I was doing some googling trying to find reasons why my ritual diviner isn't working, I came across a beginner's guide to Blood Magic that... well... they ripped you off, and I didn't see your name quoted.

Here's a link to it:
http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Getting_Started_(Blood_Magic)#Ritual_Preparation

Hope they asked you.

I was actually the one to put that there at the request of @SatanicSanta back when this was first written. :p

Thanks for bringing that up though, I appreciate people giving me a heads up for things like this.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
@Padfoote It's probably FAR too early to think about this now but: would you ever be interested in writing a guide for the new Blood Magic stuff? While many things are the same, there are also some pretty big differences with the new incense, the will system, all that jazz.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@Padfoote It's probably FAR too early to think about this now but: would you ever be interested in writing a guide for the new Blood Magic stuff? While many things are the same, there are also some pretty big differences with the new incense, the will system, all that jazz.

On the forums, no. I hit the limit with that first post and don't really want to make a new thread and attempt to maintain several posts within it. On the wiki, it's always a possibility. Depends on if I get enough free time to learn the mod all over again.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
On the forums, no. I hit the limit with that first post and don't really want to make a new thread and attempt to maintain several posts within it. On the wiki, it's always a possibility. Depends on if I get enough free time to learn the mod all over again.
That makes sense - time is a precious resource in life, I find! If you ever did get time, it would be an awesome guide though - on that I think we can all agree.

Have you seen any coverage of it so far? If I could sum it up in a TL;DR fashion, I'd say:

Altars, their runes and the orbs are basically the same. Self sacrifice involves a second multiblock structure, but is much more doable. There are a few new crafting mechanics, and items involving something called Will (obtained from mobs) that tie into these mechanics. There is self-improving armour which is really nice. Many rituals are the same, there are some new. Awesome new textures,and just generally really good stuff.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That makes sense - time is a precious resource in life, I find! If you ever did get time, it would be an awesome guide though - on that I think we can all agree.

Have you seen any coverage of it so far? If I could sum it up in a TL;DR fashion, I'd say:

Altars, their runes and the orbs are basically the same. Self sacrifice involves a second multiblock structure, but is much more doable. There are a few new crafting mechanics, and items involving something called Will (obtained from mobs) that tie into these mechanics. There is self-improving armour which is really nice. Many rituals are the same, there are some new. Awesome new textures,and just generally really good stuff.

Doesn't sound like too much has really changed, at least not to a point that it'll cause a massive rewrite to be needed. Cool, I might do it then.

M

MattAttack010

do you have any tips for getting the magicians blood orb I have tried using villagers transported there by safari net but that didn't work and I didn't want to have to use my god apple if there was an easier way

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
do you have any tips for getting the magicians blood orb I have tried using villagers transported there by safari net but that didn't work and I didn't want to have to use my god apple if there was an easier way
Are you talking about getting enough LP? Witches are great as they have their own regeneration.

Reactions: Padfoote

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The Magician's orb is the tier 3 one, right? If that's the case, you don't have access to the ritual system yet, but you can make Runes of Sacrifice (or self-sacrifice) and slot them into your altar to make your LP production more efficient and/or Runes of Augmented Capacity to allow the altar to store more LP, so you won't have to produce it as quickly while you're crafting the orb. If you're going with the sacrifice route (which sounds like it is the case), that's about all you'll be able to do until you can construct a Well of Suffering. However, if you're open to the Self-Sacrifie route, you can craft incense and health potions, both of which will speed up the process immensely.

B

Bushybeard

does demon summoning work the same as it is shown here? in game when I look up the arcane pedistal and the plinth it shows up as the black and pink beta cube graphic, does anyone know whats up with that? is there a new way to summon demons? is it not updated yet? is it just broken and im SoL? here is a picture showing what I mean , any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 2016-07-26_09.55.45.png
    2016-07-26_09.55.45.png
    396.4 KB · Views: 119

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
does demon summoning work the same as it is shown here? in game when I look up the arcane pedistal and the plinth it shows up as the black and pink beta cube graphic, does anyone know whats up with that? is there a new way to summon demons? is it not updated yet? is it just broken and im SoL? here is a picture showing what I mean , any help would be appreciated
Oh wow, you're in 1.10? Hmm I don't recall if I've seen anyone do any demon summoning in the series I've watched with BM in, to be honest...! I suspect that part may still be InDev.

B

Bushybeard

ugh I am having all kinds of problems i am following the recipes listed in just enough items and its not making them, i can not make a sigil of the green grove for example, it wont let me make the growth reagent

fedprod

Jul 29, 2019
You sure you're having enough will in the crystal to craft?
Also there is documentation ingame, a book that comes with Guide API.

B

Bushybeard

I figgured out the problems with the reagents, i wasnt using a big enough crystal as you suggested, now im having a problem with the sigil of holding, I can not seem to load it, I hold it in my hand, and I shift right click, and it brings up the selection bar for selecting the sigils that are stored in it, but it does not store any sigils, i have tried putting the sigils both in my inventory and on my hotbar, I have tried not looking at blocks as another post suggested, i even went out side and looked up at the sky to make sure i wasnt looking at a block, nothing I am doing will load the sigil of holding, is this a known bug or am i just doing something wrong?

fedprod

Jul 29, 2019
Not much played with the latest version too much, (made just yesterday my new pack), but i've seen it has a designated hotkey (H by default) to open and put in Sigils. The Slots are then scrolled through with Shift+Mousewheel to select the active Sigil.

B

Bushybeard

a hah got it thanks !

ok one last question, when you have to make something that requires a very high LP, like one of the later orbs that take 40,000 LP to make, how do you make it when your pool on the altar only holds 10,000 LP, is there a secret or a tip to do stuff like this ? or?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
a hah got it thanks !

ok one last question, when you have to make something that requires a very high LP, like one of the later orbs that take 40,000 LP to make, how do you make it when your pool on the altar only holds 10,000 LP, is there a secret or a tip to do stuff like this ? or?
This often comes up as an issue in Blood Magic and your options, as in the previous version of the mod, boil down to filling it while the progress is going on. So if you've gone the sacrifice route, make sure you've got lots of mobs to kill while its going on. If you've gone self-sacrifice, make sure you've got your incense altar and lots of food on the go. There was also ways of piping the liquid LP into and out of the altar, but I think at the level you're at, without dislocation runes and all that jazz, that option is a bit out of reach. There may also be runes to increase the altar's capacity, I'm not sure what level you can make those at.

Reactions: Padfoote

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
This often comes up as an issue in Blood Magic and your options, as in the previous version of the mod, boil down to filling it while the progress is going on. So if you've gone the sacrifice route, make sure you've got lots of mobs to kill while its going on. If you've gone self-sacrifice, make sure you've got your incense altar and lots of food on the go. There was also ways of piping the liquid LP into and out of the altar, but I think at the level you're at, without dislocation runes and all that jazz, that option is a bit out of reach. There may also be runes to increase the altar's capacity, I'm not sure what level you can make those at.
I think the capacity runes are available at tier 2, maybe tier 3. I want to say that there's also an augmented version of the capacity rune that does its thing in a slightly different way and is available a bit later on.

But yeah, to craft things that require >10000 LP, you've got to either produce LP while it's running (do note that the Blood Letter's Pack and the Coat of Arms cannot be used to fill an altar that is currently crafting something- you'll need to use your sacrificial orb or dagger, or one of the rituals that automates them) or upgrade your altar so it can store as much LP as the recipe requires.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I think the capacity runes are available at tier 2, maybe tier 3. I want to say that there's also an augmented version of the capacity rune that does its thing in a slightly different way and is available a bit later on.

But yeah, to craft things that require >10000 LP, you've got to either produce LP while it's running (do note that the Blood Letter's Pack and the Coat of Arms cannot be used to fill an altar that is currently crafting something- you'll need to use your sacrificial orb or dagger, or one of the rituals that automates them) or upgrade your altar so it can store as much LP as the recipe requires.
Thanks @Someone Else 37 - definitely explained it better than me! :) Something else for self sacrifice (can't believe I forgot about this) you might consider is vanilla health potions (if you've been to the Nether) splash would be better for the purposes of speed, but only heals 4 hearts instead of 6 (assuming Healing II), so its worth weighing up the options on that.

B

Bushybeard

are rituals still in the mod at all? ive noticed that the bound pick axe for example can be made at the demon forge and the alch array so you dont have to do the binding ritual, does that mean demon summoning is also gone or is it done a different way now? there is a lot of stuff i cant find info on, like the routing nodes and what note, is there a more up to date guide somewhere i can refference? I feel like most of my problems is arising from using old outdated guides.

also someone mentioned an in game guide? how / where is it?