Poll: RFTools Dimension Builder Penalties

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you want to incure a constant RF cost in order to keep a created dimension accessible?

• Yes, but not too much

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Yes, and a lot more RF for very complicated dimensions

Votes: 69 65.7%
  • No, the RF cost at creation time is sufficient

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Other (clarify in response)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Could you have it that the dimension requires a small amount of power to maintain while not in use but if the dimension is active by player or chunk loader it requires more depending on the type of dimension?

If the dimension is unpowered for more than 5mins it becomes “lost” and have some special way to find “lost dimensions” Which require 2x the power requirement then before to maintain the connection to the lost dimension.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Could you have it that the dimension requires a small amount of power to maintain while not in use but if the dimension is active by player or chunk loader it requires more depending on the type of dimension?

If the dimension is unpowered for more than 5mins it becomes “lost” and have some special way to find “lost dimensions” Which require 2x the power requirement then before to maintain the connection to the lost dimension.
Hmm, there's an idea. If breaking chunkloaders in this mod's dimensions doesn't work, McJty could just check Forge's force-loaded chunks list, and reduce the power upkeep cost if there's no players or loaded chunks, and therefore nothing going on.

Going along with my suggestions above, if power is cut to the dimension for too long, its energy buffer will eventually run out and you'll have to use a whole bunch more energy to rebuild the dimension. Not sure how much more energy would be required, though- I'd say either as much as it took to create the dimension in the first place, or some fraction of that, i.e. half, a fifth, etc.

Another suggestion: Some way to make portals to existing dimensions, such as the Nether or the End. These portals shouldn't require nearly as much power to run as portals that are powering a whole dimension, because the dimension doesn't need any power in the first place.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Another suggestion: Some way to make portals to existing dimensions, such as the Nether or the End. These portals shouldn't require nearly as much power to run as portals that are powering a whole dimension, because the dimension doesn't need any power in the first place.

RFTools already has a teleportation system which you can use right now and you can use these to get to existing dimensions.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
New progress report.

Here you see a tooltip of a realized dimension tab item. This is an item which contains information for a specific dimension. In the tooltip you can see a summary of the kind of dimlets that have been used as well as the progress on creating the dimension (23% in this case, the item was taken out of the dimension builder before the dimension was ready). In addition you can also see the total cost (per tick) to create and maintain this dimension as well as the total time needed:

ogMdvgh.png

Note that these values are totally not balanced in any way. I just invented some numbers out of thin air :)

But basically you can configure the cost fully. There are three costs associated with a dimension:
  1. The RF/tick needed to create the dimension
  2. The amount of ticks needed to create the dimension (so multiplied with previous value this will give the total RF)
  3. The RF/tick needed to maintain the dimension.
These three values all have a base cost which is currently set too:
  1. At least 1000 RF/tick to create any dimension
  2. At least 100 ticks
  3. At least 10 RF/tick to maintain any dimension
So the cheapest (void) dimension will need a total of 100000 RF to create and need 10RF/tick to maintain.

Then for all types of dimlets (biome, terrain, block, structure, ...) there is a default cost for any of the three above settings.

And then every specific dimlet type can override any of these (i.e. diamond block overrides the settings from the material dimlet type).

And of course ALL of this is configurable :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Thinking more about what happens when a dimension runs out of power- I quite like the idea of the dimension slowly collapsing; given enough time to escape and killing anyone who doesn't make it.

There won't be any immediate effects, and then it starts out small- you may notice animals randomly panicking, hear random noises [cave ambience when you're nowhere near a cave, enchantment/exp tingle, thunder ect]- or noisy things are unusually silent...
You may experience feelings of nausea, fatigue followed by sudden outbursts of energy.
And the weather starts acting a little strange; spontaneous lightning- rain/fog that blows in out of nowhere and vanishes shortly after.
Biome/sky/water colour slowly starts to change.
The day/night cycle to falls apart; chromatic sunsets in the north, moon rises in the south west. Celestial bodies travelling at different speeds in random trajectories.
Biome/sky/water colours slowly fade to gray/black as the sun/moon hang listless in a dead sky.
Colour drains from the rest of the world [grayscale shader effect??] as the ambient light drops to zero.
Its cold and the world's shutting down
- the players life hearts slowly turn blue one at a time [left to right, opposite from normal- no sound/effect, just a visual change]. When all 10 turn then its game over.
[would it be possible to use forge's chunkloading to turn off all the loaders when this happens]

The question remains- how much time do you get?
Power used in building the dimension/2.5*maintenance cost.
Your void age would last just 200 seconds.
And the example in the screenshot gives 7 minutes.
Basically if a dimension runs out of power- it'll consume itself trying to stay open. Theres also a pretty good opportunity to save the world by pumping more power into it. [an additional 2.5* maintenance to stop further collapse, then additional power to reverse it and stabilise the world]

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I like the idea of making the 'kick out' of a failing dimension gradual like you mention. In a sense it might be a good idea to bring some parts of Mystcraft-like instability back when power is getting low. Say the internal buffer for the dimension has capacity N then you could start inducing bad effects as soon as the power goes below 10% or something.

Nice idea. I will work on that.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Thinking more about what happens when a dimension runs out of power- I quite like the idea of the dimension slowly collapsing; given enough time to escape and killing anyone who doesn't make it.

There won't be any immediate effects, and then it starts out small- you may notice animals randomly panicking, hear random noises [cave ambience when you're nowhere near a cave, enchantment/exp tingle, thunder ect]- or noisy things are unusually silent...
You may experience feelings of nausea, fatigue followed by sudden outbursts of energy.
And the weather starts acting a little strange; spontaneous lightning- rain/fog that blows in out of nowhere and vanishes shortly after.
Biome/sky/water colour slowly starts to change.
The day/night cycle to falls apart; chromatic sunsets in the north, moon rises in the south west. Celestial bodies travelling at different speeds in random trajectories.
Biome/sky/water colours slowly fade to gray/black as the sun/moon hang listless in a dead sky.
Colour drains from the rest of the world [grayscale shader effect??] as the ambient light drops to zero.
Its cold and the world's shutting down
- the players life hearts slowly turn blue one at a time [left to right, opposite from normal- no sound/effect, just a visual change]. When all 10 turn then its game over.
[would it be possible to use forge's chunkloading to turn off all the loaders when this happens]

The question remains- how much time do you get?
Power used in building the dimension/2.5*maintenance cost.
Your void age would last just 200 seconds.
And the example in the screenshot gives 7 minutes.
Basically if a dimension runs out of power- it'll consume itself trying to stay open. Theres also a pretty good opportunity to save the world by pumping more power into it. [an additional 2.5* maintenance to stop further collapse, then additional power to reverse it and stabilise the world]
Yay! Someone built on my idea!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
And here we have an important milestone. Upto now I have always been working on the machines and infrastructured needed for the dimension builder system but I never actually created a dimension. This changes today.

Behold my very first (and pretty boring) dimension created with RFTools! You can also see the spawn platform and matter receiver from the teleportation system that was automatically put there by worldgen:

tUQ20Oz.png

It is not much but this already took me a while to do as I never made a dimension in MC before.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
And here we have an important milestone. Upto now I have always been working on the machines and infrastructured needed for the dimension builder system but I never actually created a dimension. This changes today.

Behold my very first (and pretty boring) dimension created with RFTools! You can also see the spawn platform and matter receiver from the teleportation system that was automatically put there by worldgen:

tUQ20Oz.png

It is not much but this already took me a while to do as I never made a dimension in MC before.
Yay!

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely feel that if you run out of power while inside Everything starts falling away into the void and you have to sprint back to the 'gate' or die and lose your stuff.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Definitely feel that if you run out of power while inside Everything starts falling away into the void and you have to sprint back to the 'gate' or die and lose your stuff.

While that may be impressive it has a few problems. First it is technically somewhat hard to do that kind of thing (and bad for performance). Secondly I don't really want to destroy things people build there for real. It is ok that the player itself gets hurt badly but I'm not a big fan of the penalty being that harsh that your actual base gets destroyed.

Just my opinion though.

Reactions: yoy1zoz2mom3

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
I mean it would all load up again after you added power, it would be like yanking the plug on a tv, it all goes into the middle, but it doesn't destroy the tv (Oral diarrhoea)

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
While that may be impressive it has a few problems. First it is technically somewhat hard to do that kind of thing (and bad for performance). Secondly I don't really want to destroy things people build there for real. It is ok that the player itself gets hurt badly but I'm not a big fan of the penalty being that harsh that your actual base gets destroyed.

Just my opinion though.
My idea was that it created a clone dimension, and when you got more power to it you would go to the original one, not the destroyed one.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
All this new demension teleportation talk going on and no teleportation gear talk at all? Tele-pads, teleportation chambers, portals, I want it all.

Just wondering what everything the mod will contain. Doesn't matter a whole lot though, except for the hype. Looking forward to this mod making it into a pack.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
All this new demension teleportation talk going on and no teleportation gear talk at all? Tele-pads, teleportation chambers, portals, I want it all.

Just wondering what everything the mod will contain. Doesn't matter a whole lot though, except for the hype. Looking forward to this mod making it into a pack.

RFTools is already there and the teleportation system already works. The new dimension system will work well together with this teleportation system.

RFTools currently contains a flexible and easy to use shielding system (ideal for mob farms for example), a teleportation system, an auto crafter,
RF monitor, storage scanner, ...

Reactions: buggirlexpres

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
RFTools is already there and the teleportation system already works. The new dimension system will work well together with this teleportation system.

RFTools currently contains a flexible and easy to use shielding system (ideal for mob farms for example), a teleportation system, an auto crafter,
RF monitor, storage scanner, ...
Cool, sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for the reply and clarification.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Some progress report. This time without screenshot (I know all of you are still speechless from my last void screenshot). Today I implemented energy support for dimensions created by RFTools. Dimensions now have an internal RF buffer (currently set to 10000000 RF) which can only be inserted from the dimension builder side. The dimension builder is the device that will input all energy in the dimension. As long as that is chunkloaded (and has power itself) the dimension will keep receiving power. Power transfer from the dimension builder to the dimension is immediate.

If the dimension builder is no longer chunkloaded then the dimension runs completely on the internal buffer. A cheap dimension will be able to last pretty long but an expensive dimension might only run for a minute or so.

If the internal buffer goes below 10% all players present in that dimension will get confusion. If the buffer goes below 5% then they will get confusion as well as harm. If the buffer goes below 3% then they will also get wither effect. And finally if the power is completely empty then the player receives 1000 hearts damage which will probably kill most players :)

I also implemented various dimlets. You can now change a few terrain types. Void, normal, and flat are implemented. I implemented limited biome support and you can also add structures like villages, strongholds, mineshafts and even nether fortress to your worlds. The other dimlets are not functional yet.

I need to do a few more things but I expect that tomorrow I can release a very first test version for the more adventurous among you to try out :)

Reactions: epidemia78