What are the Worst crimes you have done in FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Me... I just kill enderman. And I'm not talking a few.... I'm talking about millions... All for those beautiful pearls and mob essence.

2014-01-31_08.31.21.png

Gotta love vanilla enderman spawn rates mixed with MFR grinders.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Wasn't here, but over on MCF I made someone say FNORD and they didn't even know it.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I like making automatic killing machines. Automation is great. Here's an emerald factory I made, using TC and villager breeding machines >:}

YouTube - Automatic Emerald Factory

Very nice, I have yet to actually smelt villagers down, but it appeared as if emerald was generated per damage not per dead villager, could one create something like the ritual of regeneration (or other mob regen effect) to keep the villagers alive? So instead of wanton slaughter you would just be perpetually melting them and then healing the damage? Also does anyone know if the damage caused by the smelter gets attributed to the player? I have had some issues in the past with villages/golems remembering ... things and making life there annoying.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice, I have yet to actually smelt villagers down, but it appeared as if emerald was generated per damage not per dead villager, could one create something like the ritual of regeneration (or other mob regen effect) to keep the villagers alive? So instead of wanton slaughter you would just be perpetually melting them and then healing the damage? Also does anyone know if the damage caused by the smelter gets attributed to the player? I have had some issues in the past with villages/golems remembering ... things and making life there annoying.
That would be worth looking into. I wonder if there's some way to detect how long the villager is in there so that you can time how much damage the villager would take before being teleported out to have regen active. Like that, you would effectively have constant emeralds from one villager.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
That would be worth looking into. I wonder if there's some way to detect how long the villager is in there so that you can time how much damage the villager would take before being teleported out to have regen active. Like that, you would effectively have constant emeralds from one villager.
Or possibly keep it active while they are in ther?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Or possibly keep it active while they are in ther?

Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to use an Ars caster with a healing spell and the Ritual of Regeneration to keep a villager alive in a Smeltery, and have them deactivate if the villager dies.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to use an Ars caster with a healing spell and the Ritual of Regeneration to keep a villager alive in a Smeltery, and have them deactivate if the villager dies.
Hmmm, I know Computercraft can detect players...Or What about a timer/alert that gets set off if no new emeralds are produced in a given timeframe? That would certainly be an indication of something gone wrong and even if it is a clog in the system all you have lost would be potential production.
Or one could just make sure that the various methods are enough to keep the unfortunate elf villager alive

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Hmmm, I know Computercraft can detect players...Or What about a timer/alert that gets set off if no new emeralds are produced in a given timeframe? That would certainly be an indication of something gone wrong and even if it is a clog in the system all you have lost would be potential production.
Or one could just make sure that the various methods are enough to keep the unfortunate elf villager alive

I wonder if it's possible to configure MFFS to detect entities within it's area of influence, and if it would output a redstone signal if something was detected. If so, that would help simplify the entire process.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I doubt a Regen ritual would be able to keep up with the hurtful properties of standing in molten metal. :\

I don't know. If the villagers get hurt at the same speed as players, I think it would work.

Reactions: Dezz

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I have preformed !!science!! and found that the ritual of regeneration on its own is not powerful enough to keep a villager alive in a smeltery. Also the villager produced blood in addition to emerald which might complicate automated emerald extraction

update: the blood might have been mine... ah well science marches on. And !!science!! requires immediate medical attention

Update the second: the gravestone mod gives this nugget of wisdom: death.attack.smeltery
And the gravestone mod might become a hindrance for mass villager melting as the graves pile up. Hmmm
Block breaker mayhap. shall commence further !!science!!

Last edited:

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I have preformed !!science!! and found that the ritual of regeneration on its own is not powerful enough to keep a villager alive in a smeltery. Also the villager produced blood in addition to emerald which might complicate automated emerald extraction
You could just use a nullifier

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019

update: the blood might have been mine... ah well science marches on. And !!science!! requires immediate medical attention

Update the second: the gravestone mod gives this nugget of wisdom: death.attack.smeltery
And the gravestone mod might become a hindrance for mass villager melting as the graves pile up. Hmmm
Block breaker mayhap. shall commence further !!science!!
Update the third: gravestones (from the GraveStone mod) can be broken with a pick in an autonomous activator, the 2 block breakers I tried did not work. Where the villager meets it end determines where the gravestone will appear so fans or some other non-floor nob mover seems necessary. also somewhat necessary, some way to deal with the angry mobs it generates when breaking a gravestone.

on the whole I believe that a perpetual villager melting device requires at least regeneration II (the ritual only gives regen I unless I borked that up) suggestions other than AM2? I might look into the thaumcraft (and friends) wand cap that heals things, and I can try potions I suppose, but the vanilla regen II splash lasts like 6 seconds.

Either that or some mechanism to extract the villager from the smeltery and then place it back in? Maybe that Thaumic tinkerer attractor and a timer....

Edit: Twilight wraiths from the twilight forest mod might also be a hindrance to the process.

Update 4: try tossing an iron golem into a smeltery, I got 7 ingots and some change out of one with the ritual of regen on, better than a lava blade for sure. Especially since you get the drops as well. Hmm mystcraft portal from iron golem farm here I come.

Update 5: just messing about with the smeltery now: witches seem to be a good source of blood for pig iron or sociopathic needs, they heal themselves quick enough to not die (at least as far as I was willing to test)

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Have you tried stacking the regen rituals? I have no idea if it'll work, but if it does you might be able to keep the villagers alive, and possibly whatever else you throw at in the smeltery.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried stacking the regen rituals? I have no idea if it'll work, but if it does you might be able to keep the villagers alive, and possibly whatever else you throw at in the smeltery.
Unfortunately the effect does not appear to stack, you still get basic regen 1 even with 2 rituals and the villagers have not lasted any longer than they do with a single ritual (5ish ticks of damage vs 4ish regularly)

Either some source of very powerful regen (Tried regen2 potions and failed in the end) or an instant heal like witches use seems to be necessary. AM2 seems a likely bet but I have removed it from my game and don't really intend to reintroduce it any time soon so I am unable to test it. I also have thought of some sort of dunk tank setup, Thaumic tinkerers Attractors do not seem to work on entities that are below them so they are out and I cannot think of anything that would not require building inside the smeltery (like mystcraft portals).

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Either some source of very powerful regen (Tried regen2 potions and failed in the end) or an instant heal like witches use seems to be necessary. AM2 seems a likely bet but I have removed it from my game and don't really intend to reintroduce it any time soon so I am unable to test it. I also have thought of some sort of dunk tank setup, Thaumic tinkerers Attractors do not seem to work on entities that are below them so they are out and I cannot think of anything that would not require building inside the smeltery (like mystcraft portals).

What about putting the attractors under the Smeltery, and flipping them to repell after a certain amount of time? Is it possible to flip their state with redstone, or is it manual only? If this works, you could hook up a clock to flip the attractors and push the villagers out of the Smeltery, allowing them to heal.