Your opinion on first amateur texture butchering?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, so this is the first time I ever have created textures for minecraft and I know they aren't seamless and whatnot but this is a temporary solution and this is my first time so its not very good but I would like your opinions on them for personal use and as a temporary solution what you think, as it does not look good when you have 16x textures with 64x soartex textures.

1An8jrj.png

cQ6ezhq.jpg

ClTjv8d.jpg

05daFCu.jpg

wESSEr4.jpg

WRVBYgK.jpg

WLVjMiC.jpg

So what do you think for a first attempt at texturing something in minecraft? I know it doesn't look very well but I'd rather have that than 16x textures with a 64x pack as it just doesn't feel right.

Apologies for butchering your tools Reika

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
What design aesthetic are you going for? I will say the textures on the tools look a little flat like you cut the shape on the tool out of other textures. Like the handles don't look like they are supposed to rounded.
It doesn't look too bad though. Tools are a pain in the arse to get looking right.

Reactions: Bigpak

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Yes as that was how the soartex tools were so I literally took an iron pickaxe from soartex and re-colored it with other textures from soartex in itself which was a horrible thing to do however I just would rather it to look like that than 16x in a 64x. I literally used a clone-stamp tool. I will admit however before that on the first version of the pickaxe I spent about an hour or two using the color picker/selector (the eyedropper) and individually did each pixel till I realized that there was a clone stamp tool. I felt like an idiot.

With all of this in mind, I can now say I have even more respect to texturepack makers and designers mod makers etc. It takes a lot of creativity, something which comes rarely to me unless it is something 3-dimensional. As for the handle/grip and whatnot I used a blockLead texture from... I think Emasher resource from the soartex pack? I think? I couldn't use a dark steel as that didn't fit it and any other color just didn't fit right for me.

Any more advice on how to improve these textures? I appreciate all constructive criticism and honestly all criticism is appreciated. Thank you Azzanine.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yes as that was how the soartex tools were so I literally took an iron pickaxe from soartex and re-colored it with other textures from soartex in itself which was a horrible thing to do however I just would rather it to look like that than 16x in a 64x. I literally used a clone-stamp tool. I will admit however before that on the first version of the pickaxe I spent about an hour or two using the color picker/selector (the eyedropper) and individually did each pixel till I realized that there was a clone stamp tool. I felt like an idiot.

With all of this in mind, I can now say I have even more respect to texturepack makers and designers mod makers etc. It takes a lot of creativity, something which comes rarely to me unless it is something 3-dimensional. As for the handle/grip and whatnot I used a blockLead texture from... I think Emasher resource from the soartex pack? I think? I couldn't use a dark steel as that didn't fit it and any other color just didn't fit right for me.

Any more advice on how to improve these textures? I appreciate all constructive criticism and honestly all criticism is appreciated. Thank you Azzanine.

You are aware that a good portion of the modded textures are compiled and created in a similar way right? There's a reason why they call it "Soartex Fanver" Fanver is a contraction of fan version.
Most texture creators also use shortcuts like this, albeit they are usually cutting and pasting their own work but they still do it.