Would you play on this type of server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, there was a small discussion a few days ago about what people wanted to see in a mod pack, and a very fun idea propped up:
Personally, I want to see economy. I've been toying with the idea of a server running Gregtech, no item or fluid teleport, and capped world size. I imagine that it would force players to trade, and cooperate, especially for high tier builds (like a server shared fusion plant), and would force players to live closer together, more in cities / towns where they can take advantage of shared builds and resources. I was also thinking about dumping in all of the "hard mode" food and mob mods as well, to give players more of a reason to build defended and walled cities.

As for servers, I think it really depends on the community that you have. From what I've seen, servers work best if they're like Forgecraft, where everyone knows each other fairly well, we access is controlled, and everyone is fairly mature. There are simply too many ways to grief to protect against, other than walling yourself off in a mystcraft age and calling it good.

As to servers selling items, I agree, although I do think that some sort of donation reward should be allowed. On one server I was on, one of the benefits to donating was that the admins would make a small (three Chunks square to start) island in its own dimension for you, with the size of the island determined by how much you donated. It was a public (with application process) server, so a lot of people donated to ensure that they wouldn't get griefed.

The mod list (as it is now):
  1. AE2
  2. Binnies Mods (extra bees/trees) - for hard earned renewable resources
  3. Buildcraft
  4. Carpenters Blocks
  5. CodeChickenCore
  6. CoFHCore
  7. ExtraBiomesXL
  8. ExtraTiC
  9. Fastcraft (needed, GT too laggy brah)
  10. Forestry
  11. GregTech 6
  12. Hardcore Ender Expansion
  13. IC2
  14. Inventory Tweaks
  15. JABBA
  16. JourneyMap
  17. Magic Bees
  18. Mantle
  19. Minetweaker
  20. NEI Addons
  21. No Mobs Spawning on Trees
  22. Not Enough Items
  23. Not Enough Resources
  24. Pam's Harvestcraft
  25. Tinkers' Construct
  26. Thaumic Energistics
  27. Thaumic Tinkerer
  28. Thaumic Expansion
  29. Thermal Expansion
  30. Thermal Foundation
  31. TiC Tooltips
  32. WAILA
Obviously, that list looks a little sparce, but I am trying to make it so it is very greggy for machines, and machines only. All Thermal Expansion machines cannot be crafted (there's a few things which can be; energy cells, strongboxes, and satchels). But in return for this all vanilla items that get gregged (metal tools, hoppers, buckets, cauldrons, glowstone blocks, etc.) have their vanilla recipe returned.
This mod list is still open to new suggestions too, and is likely to have additions before the pack gets released publicly

So I have a few questions:
1) Do you like this idea?

2) Would you play on a server like this (providing that you like the idea)?

(This isn't NEEDED)
3) Would you consider donating to a server like this, assuming you enjoy the community, should there be a time when the server host could not afford to keep the server running (e.g. they are moving house, and the money they spend that month on the server is being used for delivery men)?

This is to gauge interest in a server like this, before spending money on a server :)

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
After reading everything through, this idea looks great! If I was to ever play a pack with gregtech, I would have no idea what I was doing. I never used gt before. :p
I think that I would play on this server, no question. :) I like communities and such.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
tbh the concept of building and balancing a pack around a single core mod isn't too bad.

It's just that I don't really care that much about gregtech.

I'd rather see an entire pack built and balanced around Rotarycraft, it'd at least shut up the whiners who complain about it being OP :)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
As I said in the thread you're referring to, count me in. I'd donate in the form of money or minetweaker scripts, whatever you need to get this thing rolling.

As for the pack, it could use some aesthetic mods for prettier stores/factories.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
tbh the concept of building and balancing a pack around a single core mod isn't too bad.

It's just that I don't really care that much about gregtech.

I'd rather see an entire pack built and balanced around Rotarycraft, it'd at least shut up the whiners who complain about it being OP :)
There's a few more packs that are based around RoC than there are GT.

I think the idea of GT works as you will be encased in a world border, and resources will be hard to come by after a while, long mining trips up to 1k away from your base, people building public machines, so that they can save on resources, etc.
(I will probably make it, if Minetweaker still works with GT, that you can only get your basic bee hives once you have got so far into GT... if not, just make the stuff from extra bees require end-game GT stuff - encouraging sharing)

As I said in the thread you're referring to, count me in. I'd donate in the form of money or minetweaker scripts, whatever you need to get this thing rolling.

As for the pack, it could use some aesthetic mods for prettier stores/factories.
I don't have you on Skype, do I?

What mods would you suggest, the only aestethics I can think of are chisel and carpents blocks... maybe add Project X (I think it's called, Xycraft remake), but other than that o_O

Ooo jord has an economy project in mind :3
I don't claim to have come up with this idea, I just stole it and made it more of a reality :)

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
I'd totally join a server like this, I was hoping for someone to want to make it as soon as I saw the idea.

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
wow i really want to join this server, but it would have to be well organized and maintained, with lots of staff. There would probably have to be economy something included too, i would love to join this and help in anyway.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Maybe
I recommend a way to set up an automatic shop and adding some kind of "money."
But doesn't ic2 have coins?

Also, bartering is a good economy, no? You make me <x> so I can make <machine> in return you get access to it, and I'll give you <item>.
Then you haggle, I haggle, you haggle some more, etc. until a deal is made

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Only if someone i know is running things. I wouldnt want to the money going to someones car payments and then have the server shutdown

Sadly i wont be able to join in on the fun for a long time

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It is when you're around to do it. Depends on your desired economy I guess, I'm fine with either one.
Well I guess if it is a close-knit group, then people wouldn't mind the whole "use it/borrow it now, and pay me when I get on" trade-style, or the "replace what you take/use, and maybe a little extra" version.
As both of these don't require both parties to be online. As the only other option I could think of for something that would work when the person you are trading with is offline, is a "bank" system: everyone shares one main inventory location - the bank, and people trade with the bank. And people will put their items in different storage means, depending on how much they are happy to sell it for.

But, as you can probably tell, I have never really done economy outside the economy plugins of old-day vanilla servers :p

Are you one of these people who lives in an improvised dwelling in the woods surrounded by water purification tablets and ammo?

MARK MY WORDS, INFLATION IS COMING!

:3
That is a very accurate description of where I live... Apart from the ammo ;)
But yes, inflation would be a thing, seeing as resources would slowly get used up, with no way of getting more, other than bees... Heck, it could be fun to remove the bees, and see how long the server would last until there isn't a single ore left; no more expansion :p

Synaxin

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, this would be a very interesting server indeed...
1: Yes
2: Yes
Would be a nice experience to have a close knit community all working towards a goal together