Would this Mod Pack interest you?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you download and use this mod pack if it were created?

• Total voters

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I am currently polling for interest on a simple and lightweight steampunk-themed modpack for the Let's Play that I am in the process of making. While I am, in fact, linking permissions here, the intent of this post is primarily gathering interest and seeing if other people would like playing in this mod pack.

To be clear, if I decide to go ahead with this mod pack, it will be released as a Private Public Mod Pack, following ALL terms and conditions set forth here. Which means that, once it has been approved and uploaded, I will be able to distribute the download code freely. However, it does mean that FTB Permissions do NOT count, however the Central Mods Permissions page do count. Which somewhat changes which mods I will have in this mod pack.

So, with that legal-speak out of the way, let's talk about:

ShneekeyCraft: Less Is More!
* So, what exactly is this mod pack?

This is a very lightweight steampunk-themed mod pack. I had two primary criteria in selecting the mods for this mod pack. 1) If I didn't use a majority of the functionality of the mod itself, I didn't include it. 2) If it did not fit the steampunk theme of the mod pack, I did not include it.

* What features can I expect from this mod pack?

First and foremost, it all runs on a single power source (MJ), so there is no need to worry about which mods connect to which power sources, no need to bother with energy conversion, and no need to build and maintain multiple power network infrastructures. This gives it a simple and elegant utility which specifically caters to those new to mods.

Second, it has a relatively short list of mods to be included, but each of these mods either brings in a new dynamic, a new mechanic, or does something which is unique to that mod. There is little to no 'overlap' with the functionality of the mods, and that you can utilize each mod to the fullest.

Third, as it doesn't contain many mods, this is a relatively lightweight mod pack, meaning it doesn't take as much to load. Also, each of these mods have a reputation for rapidly updating after a version change, therefore the delay between Minecraft version update and mod pack version update *should* be fairly minimal. The primary foreseeable constraint here is the one-week mandatory waiting period from Covert Jaguar's Railcraft mod to include the latest version. Considering this is primarily so you, the player, don't get hit with unforseen bugs, I am completely behind this.

* What mods are to be expected in this mod pack?

• Buildcraft. Has a post in the Central Mods Permissions thread, so all I really have to do is link back and give credit where it is due (Which... come to think of it... I just did!).
  • Thermal Expansion by King Lemming. It's just an amazing mod with so many awesome things about it that I don't have space here. Also has blanket permission given on the website linked.
  • Minefactory Reloaded by PowerCrystals (again). I know, I've been on record by saying that I'm not too thrilled with this mod, however credit where credit is due, it does provide a lot of functionality. Because this is a third party mod pack, I would need to get permission from Sengir for Forestry, and while I could probably manage that, I've decided to use this mod instead. It is his right as mod author, and I have only the utmost respect for him and his decision to do whatever he wants to with the mod he wrote, however MFR has a blanket permission in the forum post linked, provided I am not using it for commercial use (which I am not).
  • ChickenChunks and EnderStorage by ChickenBones. Both of these fall under the same licsense and the same reasons for being included, so I will lump them together. These mods let you keep automation going in a remote location, even across dimensions, and be interconnected easily. He also gives blanket permission as long as link and credit is given (which I just did, come to think of it).
  • Modular Powersuits by MachineMuse. This is just an amazing mod which is really the last suit you will ever need. Blanket Permissions given to mod packs on her website.
  • Obsidian Pressure Plates by Myrathis. It's simple, it's elegant, and it performs a vital function. It lets you automate doors without letting mobs do the same. Released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-ND license, so by giving credit where credit is due and linking back to the post, and by not doing this for a profit, I attain permission.
  • Inventory Tweaks by Kobata. It's just dead useful. Blanket permission is given under the MIT license in the minecraft forum post here.
  • CraftGuide by Uristqwerty. I have made a deliberate decision to use CraftGuide instead of NEI for my recipe assistance mod for a few reasons. Primarily, it is far more lightweight as it doesn't have nearly the functionality which NEI does. However, most of the functionality NEI has are options which I simply don't want. CraftGuide does what I want... recipes at my fingertips. That's it. Simple, clean, elegant.
  • Applied Energistics. Because it really is the end-all-be-all of storage and crafting. Also covered by a blanket permission on the website.
  • Railcraft by Covert Jaguar. This mod is awesome, and I really have no other way of getting around in the world, so I fully expect to be using rails as well as the boilers and the tanks. Now, the permissions here are the trickiest, all of the other mods so far gave blanket permissions, however as per his post in the Central Mods Permissions post here, I have met his terms and conditions by publicly posting all permissions from all mods who have not posted to that thread, and that I am going to be using the FTB Launcher to distribute the mod pack. Should I wish to distribute this mod pack via any other means, I would need to first seek his explicit permission.
  • Tinker's Constructs and Natura by mDiyo. Released under Creative Commons with blanket permission for mod authors
  • Immibiss Core and Microblocks by Immibiss. All work and no creativity makes Steve a dull mod pack. This mod gives your creative side something to play with. Blanket permission given in linked post.
* What mods will likely be 'Sir Not Appearing in this Mod Pack'?

• Computercraft. No.
  • Redpower. Permissions.
  • Bibliocraft. Permissions.
  • Forestry.
  • IndustrialCraft2 (and all dependent mods). I'd prefer to only have one power network to deal with.
  • Twilight Forest. Too CPU Intensive.
  • Mystcraft. Too CPU Intensive.
  • Portal Gun. No.
  • Factorization. Why bother?
  • Better Storage. Exploit when combined with AE.
So, please give me feedback. Would you download and play this mod pack? Would your server want this mod pack? Is this something you see yourself enjoying? Why or why not? If I get enough positive results, I will follow the steps required by the Guidelines for Private Public Mod Packs and gain approval in the conventional manner. However, if no one is really interested in it, then there isn't much point in it, is there? So let me know what you think.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I could live without the industrial craft because of mps. I can't do without the other exempted mods but this pack sounds interesting.

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
Because this is a third party mod pack, I would need to get permission from Sengir for Forestry, and while I could probably manage that, I've decided to use this mod instead. It is his right as mod author, and I have only the utmost respect for him and his decision to do whatever he wants to with the mod he wrote, however ...

Forestry License said:
Mod Packs: You are free to add Forestry to your modpack and redistribute it, as long as the modpack is strictly non-profit and none of the other mods are included against their license. Yes, this even applies to packs made by people I don't like. Don't expect me to play tech support for your modpack though. (Applies to 2.0.0.6+ and later.)

http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki.new/doku.php?id=main:downloads#License

Just saying though. ;)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I could live without the industrial craft because of mps. I can't do without the other exempted mods but this pack sounds interesting.
Really? Which ones?

Mind you, Redpower is exempted mostly because this IS a third party mod pack, so getting permission is going to be nearly impossible.

With MFR to provide RedNet, Forestry seems to overlap too heavily

Mystcraft is... well... it's the opposite of 'lightweight'. It's a fantastic mod, it's just... big.

Computercraft... well, I enjoy playing Minecraft, not creating a bot army to play the game for me. It's a wonderful mod, don't get me wrong, but it just... doesn't fit.

Twilight Forest... aside from the decided magical nature of the mod itself clashing with the steampunk flavor I'm working for, it really doesn't bring anything useful to the table.

Portal gun already has its own theme, and it doesn't really fit in with a steampunk theme. Besides, it's almost impossible to get permissions.

Factorization... I think my views on this mod have already been made crystal clear.

Ahh, for some reason I had the impression that was only for FTB mods, not third-party mods. Thank you very much for clearing this up for me.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure I will ever play modded minecraft without computercraft. It's not because of mining turtles; it's because some types of automation are only possible to do with computercraft.

Other recommendations that are free to include provided you include the license:
  1. Immibis mods. You probably want immibis-microblocks and immibis-core in your modpack. There really isn't any reason not to; it's just more decorative options.
  2. Infinitubes will give you something that works quite well in tandem with buildcraft. TE+BC is ideal for purpose-built systems, but Immibis's Infinitubes provides a LOT of other extensible options. Runs on MJ.
  3. Applied Energistics is also free to include, very cool in a steampunky+tech pack. Runs on MJ
  4. If Atum doesn't totally murder your server, you may want to consider it. Twilight forest is definitely out of theme for you, but Atum follows in the long tradition of Steampunky adventures in sub-saharan Africa.
  5. Forestry is entirely possible and might make sense. It doesn't overlap with MFR that much. There is a lot more to Forestry than just Multi-farms.
Finally, I don't think you want it because of previous conversations, but it's worth mentioning that people seem to think Calclavia is amenable to letting people republish UE so long as the modpack sub-brands UE. Some parts of UE would be very much in theme (atomic science? Not so much. Galacticraft? Perhaps very much.)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Not sure I will ever play modded minecraft without computercraft. It's not because of mining turtles; it's because some types of automation are only possible to do with computercraft.
Yea, you see... that's kinda exactly WHY I'm explicitly NOT using it. Because I disagree with you about automation, anything that can't be automated with one of the previous mods probably doesn't need to be automated. And it easily gets turned into a crutch.

Other recommendations that are free to include provided you include the license:
  1. Immibis mods. You probably want immibis-microblocks and immibis-core in your modpack. There really isn't any reason not to; it's just more decorative options.
  2. Infinitubes will give you something that works quite well in tandem with buildcraft. TE+BC is ideal for purpose-built systems, but Immibis's Infinitubes provides a LOT of other extensible options. Runs on MJ.
I wasn't aware it really gave you many options that couldn't be covered by TE or BC or AE.
  1. Applied Energistics is also free to include, very cool in a steampunky+tech pack. Runs on MJ
  1. Ahh, I knew I forgot something. Yes, AE will be involved
    [*]If Atum doesn't totally murder your server, you may want to consider it. Twilight forest is definitely out of theme for you, but Atum follows in the long tradition of Steampunky adventures in sub-saharan Africa.
    I'll have to check it out. I've never heard of it before. My big problem with dimensional mods, however, is that I'm trying to build a lightweight mod pack, and extra dimensions kinda run counter to that goal.
    [*]Forestry is entirely possible and might make sense. It doesn't overlap with MFR that much. There is a lot more to Forestry than just Multi-farms.
    I happen to like the multifarms. However, I'm trying to keep worldgen requirements down to a minimum.
Finally, I don't think you want it because of previous conversations, but it's worth mentioning that people seem to think Calclavia is amenable to letting people republish UE so long as the modpack sub-brands UE. Some parts of UE would be very much in theme (atomic science? Not so much. Galacticraft? Perhaps very much.)
UE is nice. However, it's yet a different power system you have to build and maintain. I'm trying to keep this neat and clean.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Because I disagree with you about automation, anything that can't be automated with one of the previous mods probably doesn't need to be automated.

Computercraft turtles do one thing that is challenging to do w/out redpower 2: block placement. The other thing is complex control logic. MFR's rednet PRC stuff is amazing, but won't give you monitors.

But it's your modpack. I definitely don't mean to tell you what you should do. :)

I wasn't aware it really gave you many options that couldn't be covered by TE or BC or AE.

The biggest thing it does is let you set up endpoints with text labels then, from an external position in the pipe network not adjacent to those inventories, run transfer operations. Check out the mod documentation that I linked. Most people don't understand how cool that feature is: it is very cool. Combined with the priority-based dispatch, you can do things like this trivially: stuff wood into a boiler from an ME chest, but also put it into engines if the boiler is full; thus always consuming your wood supply with priority guarantees that you don't get from AE. And you can do this from a master control room so you can use one timer signal for your entire network.

Rednet plays very, very well with infinitubes.

UE is nice. However, it's yet a different power system you have to build and maintain. I'm trying to keep this neat and clean.

Indeed. I figured I'd mention it just because it's on theme; everything has art that is all soviet-era. But do consider doing like your did with MMPS and pluck out MineChem and Glaacticraft; both seem very much on theme and add some fun alternativers to your modpack.

My observation having built a few modpacks now is that the selection and curation of mods is a balancing act between "too much stuff" and "there is only one way to do this and now everyone does it that way." You want to open up variety but you don't want to provide a babel of features users get lost in. So be very careful about making "one true path" in this.

An example with this proposed modpack: steam is underpowered. You will never need to build a steam boiler because there is no reason to build one. The MFR bio-reactor power chain will out perform boilers in far less space (those things output a whopping 16mj/t) and are very fuel efficient. So right now your power creation options are very unbalanced. You may want to look at configuring that or adding more uses for steam to the pack.

Finally, if you don't have ANY significant worldgen, is there any reason not to go crazy with Biomes O Plenty, Highlands and/or EBXL? Exploration and beautiful terrain are important and fun. The only other mod I can mention isn't out for 1.5.1 yet but supposedly dev has picked up on: Runic Dust. If this comes out in time it has 0 worldgen and adds a very interesting set of magic primitives to your modpack that work with a celtic feel. They'll open up some clever alternative automation options and add a lot of decorative potential.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
As far as world-gen goes, you have TE, which covers tin, copper, silver, and lead, which covers 99% of the world gen of most tech-y mods. I tend to let TE do most of the heavy lifting for world gen, disabling all others unless they have unique ores. That should handle most of Forestry as well, I think, minus apatite and bees.

I might suggest Tinker's Construct and Natura?

Also, NEI and Inventory Tweaks, and Rei's Minimap?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I'm one of those people who never plays any modpack that already has a modpack that has that modpack's mods but more. (why do this when I can do that and get more stuff with it?)

Unless you can find some gems hidden in the haystack to add them to your modpack, I probably won't use this.

I do know some people who don't have the greatest of PCs and want to play around and get indepth with the diffrent mods. They might like this pack.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
As far as world-gen goes, you have TE, which covers tin, copper, silver, and lead, which covers 99% of the world gen of most tech-y mods. I tend to let TE do most of the heavy lifting for world gen, disabling all others unless they have unique ores. That should handle most of Forestry as well, I think, minus apatite and bees.

I might suggest Tinker's Construct and Natura?

Also, NEI and Inventory Tweaks, and Rei's Minimap?
I'm using CraftGuide instead of NEI. Inventory Tweaks is included. Rei's Minimap you can add yourself, it seems to have quite a bad memory leak these days. Besides, it's not that hard since it doesn't have any Block ID's.

Tinker's Construct is obviated by MPS. Natura has no interest for me since it's nothing more than still more plants that currently don't have a viable use yet.
I'm one of those people who never plays any modpack that already has a modpack that has that modpack's mods but more. (why do this when I can do that and get more stuff with it?)

Unless you can find some gems hidden in the haystack to add them to your modpack, I probably won't use this.

I do know some people who don't have the greatest of PCs and want to play around and get indepth with the diffrent mods. They might like this pack.
Yea, my target market are the people who don't have the greatest of PC's and want to play around and get in-depth with different mods. I get that it isn't everyone's 'thing'. I'm just curious if there are enough people who would enjoy it to be worth making a mod pack out of it.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I don't see any mods that you asked permissions for.
First off, I haven't actually made the mod pack yet. Second off, you really need to look up the Central Mods Permission thread and what that means. Third off, you really need to look up 'creative commons' and 'open source' and 'blanket permission' terms. Fourth, you aren't a moderator, nor are you a mod author of any of the mods, nor are you any other authoritative figure. So kindly sod off.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I can dig it. Once RedNet gets into MFR I can live with out RP2 it will be sad but it would be doable. I agree on the whole automation thing. There comes a point were to much automation is a bad thing. But that is also why I dislike AE it makes storage, sorting, crafting, and some automations a bit to easy for my tastes.

But over all I like the mod setup you got there..

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I can dig it. Once RedNet gets into MFR I can live with out RP2 it will be sad but it would be doable. I agree on the whole automation thing. There comes a point were to much automation is a bad thing. But that is also why I dislike AE it makes storage, sorting, crafting, and some automations a bit to easy for my tastes.

But over all I like the mod setup you got there..
Yea, RP2 is a pain to lose, however it's simply not possible to obtain permissions for having it in a mod pack. And, like you said, hopefully RedNet can offset this somewhat. I like my logic gates, and I will be sad to see them go. However, I respect Elorram too much to include her mod without her permission.

I can kind of see your problem with AE, however to reach that level of automation requires a significant resource investment. Far higher resource investment than Logistics Pipes has. And for auto-crafting, the price goes up geometrically. Multiple stacks of gold just for the frame of a relatively small 4 x 4 crafting multiblock is going to be difficult to get without Gregtech to spin it out of Lava or turtles to kill zombie pigmen for their nuggets.

Remember, I've removed most of the 'easy' ways to mine, other than the Quarry itself. And with the removal of Mystcraft, there is a practical limitation on those as well.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
yeah which is way I said over all I can dig the mod pack idea. It is fairly solid.

Lack of thaumcraft is sad but I can understand it not fiting into the whole steampunk theme. (and why do people like to lump magic into steampunk these days anyways?) But yes a vary soild pack. Most of the more easy path mods are missing from it so any sort of mob farm or automation will take an investment of time and resrourses. Even MFR the Mob to Mob ratio for its spawner is something close to 1.5 to 1 so even that would require either breeding animals or a classic mob system into order to feed into the spawner system for your mob of choice. Over all I think it is a fairly balnced mob pack.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Great idea! I love the steampunk style. I would play it if it did not leave out RP2. Oh yeah. Well you could include a config for that. Add in a config and lots more people will flock to your pack! Not me though, I can't live without IC2 and EE and Power Converters and especially Mystcraft and Factorization. Those are really important to me.