Would anyone else like to have a "vanilla" option/ pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is a mod pack, and that its purpose is to be focused on adding mods and facilitating adding/ playing with mods.
I agree, this is actually why I wish there was something like this.

As it is now, if you want to play the latest minecraft version, you HAVE to wait for the modpack to update, one has no choice but to stick to the pack's versions.

Even if only the mods one cares about have already been updated for the latest update, they have to wait for ALL the mods in the pack to update to a stable version before the pack is updated.

That's why I figured it would be useful to have a "Vanilla Pack."
Where it would be always up to date, even if mod-less, one could just add the mods one cares about to it while the other modpacks update so you're not 100% stuck with either an older version of the game, or a 100% mod-less, up-to-date Minecraft.

This way, FTB is not really distributing the mods itself, they would have to be obtained from the modmaker's site/ download link, and added by the person, individually and for personal use only.

I mean, with all that FTB facilitates, it would be just great being able edit a vanilla version of the game along the other modpacks.

Well at least that's my view on it, what do you guys think?

Juice57

Jul 29, 2019
Not possible with the current launcher they need to overhaul the whole thing if you want to select certain mods for yourself.

Just use MultiMC till everything catches up I know clicking a link is hard but life is hard.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I'm reading this right.

Are you asking why there isn't a pack that allows us to play without any mods? Because that's what vanilla is.

If so, why not just play off of the default Minecraft launcher? I'm not sure that I fully comprehended why you feel the FTB launcher is necessary for that. (Actually, I think I maaaaay be understanding why you'd want this, but I'd still like confirmation.)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Just so long as there was also a modpack called Neapolitan with Pam's Harvestcraft and Better Dungeons.

Reactions: AlanEsh

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I'm reading this right.

Are you asking why there isn't a pack that allows us to play without any mods? Because that's what vanilla is.

If so, why not just play off of the default Minecraft launcher? I'm not sure that I fully comprehended why you feel the FTB launcher is necessary for that. (Actually, I think I maaaaay be understanding why you'd want this, but I'd still like confirmation.)

If I'm correct, the ability to add and remove mods with a click or two is what he's getting at. Vanilla's launcher won't do that for you, and I'd like to see this added.

Not possible with the current launcher they need to overhaul the whole thing if you want to select certain mods for yourself.

Just use MultiMC till everything catches up I know clicking a link is hard but life is hard.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about, with the Enable Mods and Disable Mods that can be added easily to folders, a mod pack could be made that just has no mods enabled, and you can add them yourself.

A large and useful aspect of the FTB Launcher is to add and remove mods with a click. That's why I use it, along with the packs, and that's why a lot of other people use it, too.
Hey, making a modpack with no mods is hard but life is hard. So is responding to a post with sarcasm when you're...wrong. :D

Reactions: Freakscar and Yuka

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm correct, the ability to add and remove mods with a click or two is what he's getting at. Vanilla's launcher won't do that for you, and I'd like to see this added.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about, with the Enable Mods and Disable Mods that can be added easily to folders, a mod pack could be made that just has no mods enabled, and you can add them yourself.

A large and useful aspect of the FTB Launcher is to add and remove mods with a click. That's why I use it, along with the packs, and that's why a lot of other people use it, too.
Hey, making a modpack with no mods is hard but life is hard. So is responding to a post with sarcasm when you're...wrong. :D

Yeah, this.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019

Ah, okay. That's what I thought he may be getting at.

In that sense, yeah it'd be neat. I believe there are other launchers that can fit a similar purpose, though.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
The Yogspack is pretty much a "vanilla" pack (in terms of changing it) as it's a copy of other packs (still don't know why this exists, they don't even offer the map through the launcher, just pick Mindcrack or Ultimate you @#$%es).

All they need to add is the ability to update the Minecraft.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
As other pointed out, the ability to add/change/update mods via a GUI while starting with a Vanilla MC is more of a job already handled by MultiMC.
With the added bonus of giving you the opportunity to choose what version of MC you want, and have multiple instances.

It is obvious to any user of MultiMC that the FTB launcher was heavily inspired on it, because it does the job so well in the first place.

FTB launcher is more for distributing the FTB packs, and they gave us an option to customize them with ease, but why redo all of MultiMC?

Reactions: Bagman817

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I actually think this is a nice idea, Yuka. But you don't really want a "vanilla" pack.

What you want is a "barebones Forge" pack. Something that has the latest Minecraft version plus Forge/FML, and nothing else. This is because it is not FTB that adds the convenient "just drop in mods" function, but rather it is Forge. Without the API preinstalled, you can't do anything regarding modding, and adding Forge yourself involves editing the minecraft.jar file.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
it's actually pretty easy, just remove forge from the jarmods, then launch. Bam, vanilla instance. You could even do it to the brony pack so you wouldn't be missing anything.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
it's actually pretty easy, just remove forge from the jarmods, then launch. Bam, vanilla instance. You could even do it to the brony pack so you wouldn't be missing anything.
-Shiver-

On topic, I don't think it is necessary for the FTB launcher to reinvent the wheel. MultiMC, as it stands right now, allows you to not only instal any version of Minecraft (up to a certain point, sure), but it allows you to install any Forge version at the click of a button.

Sure, it may not be the BEST (this is just a disclaimer), but considering what it can do right now, I think just going with MMC is the best thing to do in this instance.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
For vanilla, I just set the Voxel pack to not switch versions, and disabled everything.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, MultiMC does it too, but it'd be nice if we just had it there if we ever wanted to use it. It's just for convenience.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
i'm still puzzled and distrurbed by the brony thing.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
For vanilla, I just set the Voxel pack to not switch versions, and disabled everything.

As other have mentioned, its not the "Vanilla" that I'm looking for, but an up-to-date pack, where one can easily add the mods that they're interested in while the modpack they play is updated.

It really sucks having to wait weeks/ months to be able to play an up-to-date version of Minecraft with mods.
Specially since one has to wait for ALL of the mods in a pack to update.

As other pointed out, the ability to add/change/update mods via a GUI while starting with a Vanilla MC is more of a job already handled by MultiMC.
With the added bonus of giving you the opportunity to choose what version of MC you want, and have multiple instances.

It is obvious to any user of MultiMC that the FTB launcher was heavily inspired on it, because it does the job so well in the first place.

FTB launcher is more for distributing the FTB packs, and they gave us an option to customize them with ease, but why redo all of MultiMC?

I don't think it is necessary for the FTB launcher to reinvent the wheel. MultiMC, as it stands right now, allows you to not only instal any version of Minecraft (up to a certain point, sure), but it allows you to install any Forge version at the click of a button.

Sure, it may not be the BEST (this is just a disclaimer), but considering what it can do right now, I think just going with MMC is the best thing to do in this instance.

Why?
Convenience, which I thought was one of the points of modpacks.

I'm not asking for them to allow you to make 300 instances and each at their own version.
I'm just asking for ONE pack/ instance that's up to date with current minecraft, so ifyou want to play with the latest update and its mods (or latest updates of mods you like.), you can, rather than having to wait weeks/ months to be able to try any of it.

I actually think this is a nice idea, Yuka. But you don't really want a "vanilla" pack.

What you want is a "barebones Forge" pack. Something that has the latest Minecraft version plus Forge/FML, and nothing else. This is because it is not FTB that adds the convenient "just drop in mods" function, but rather it is Forge. Without the API preinstalled, you can't do anything regarding modding, and adding Forge yourself involves editing the minecraft.jar file.

Yeah, this!
Basically, an up to date version of Minecraft with FTB's/ Forge nice and easy ability to add mods..