Wooden Bee?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I was trying to breed up a Diligent Bee (Forest + Cultivated), then tried crossing in a Common/Diligent at some point to try and refine the diligent line, and somehow ended up with a Wooden/Diligent Bee.

I have no real clue how this happened, it isn't on any of the wikis that I have access to. I'm fairly certain it will produce wood as a byproduct, but I'm just wondering if a) my theory about it being Cultivated + Forest, and b) if the only way to get Diligent now is Common + Cultivated.

I'm asking because Meadows + Cultivated still = Noble, and I'd really prefer to avoid the 50% chance of going either Noble or Diligent by crossing Common + Cultivated. I ran several generations of Forest + Cultivated with 3x Soul Frames (I don't have the resources to produce Alvaries yet, so please don't pester me about UberBreeders), and never saw a single Diligent as dominant OR recessive trait.

EDIT: Apparently, according to my Database, the Wooden is Forest + Diligent. I must've gotten !LUCKY! (which is to say, the bee-breeding version of the Dwarf Fortress definition of !FUN!) and had the Diligent from the Common/Diligent cross with the Forest from the Cultivated/Forest. However, I'm saddened that apparently Forest + Cultivated no longer produces Diligent.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
This is interesting.. I'll see if I can breed one right now >.>
But you've already got a something/dilligent So you can have a look in your database for what made that mutation

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Forest+Cultivated never produced Diligent. At least back in Minecraft 1.2.5 you already needed Common+Cultivated for that.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I think there's a degree of randomness about bee breeding, I've had some very strange outcomes totally away from what the wiki says.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Which mod-pack/Forestry version is this?
This is on the latest version of the DirePack.

Forest+Cultivated never produced Diligent. At least back in Minecraft 1.2.5 you already needed Common+Cultivated for that.
I respectfully disagree. Back in 1.2.5, you could make Noble with Meadows + Cultivated and Diligent with Forest + Cultivated. You could *also* get either one of those with Common + Cultivated, which I always thought of as a sucker's bet. I never played much with 1.3.1, due to not having RP2, and haven't done much with them since, so it could have been at any point after that. Or the 'fix' might have occurred during 1.2.5 and I just never got the update.

However, I strongly dislike the random factor in having two different possible mutations off of a single combination, and no control over which one to aim for. It's also apparently the *only* such dual-branch combination, which makes it particularly annoying.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I think there's a degree of randomness about bee breeding, I've had some very strange outcomes totally away from what the wiki says.
Care to elaborate? Did you have both parents analyzed beforehand, so that you knew all four possible species-traits?[DOUBLEPOST=1366807713][/DOUBLEPOST]
However, I strongly dislike the random factor in having two different possible mutations off of a single combination, and no control over which one to aim for. It's also apparently the *only* such dual-branch combination, which makes it particularly annoying.
http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Diligent_Bee wants to have a word with you. Look at its potential offspring when partnered with a Resilient Bee.

And about the 1.2.5 discussion: If memory serves right, in the version after the fallout with Technic (1.4.6.0?) I had to use common+cultivated. If this was different before that, then I'm sorry for giving a false historical "fact".

Reactions: Lawbroken

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Care to elaborate? Did you have both parents analyzed beforehand, so that you knew all four possible species-traits?[DOUBLEPOST=1366807713][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Diligent_Bee wants to have a word with you. Look at its potential offspring when partnered with a Resilient Bee.
That's from Extra Bees rather than 'core' Forestry, and likely done that way because it's how all the metallic bees are made.

Basically, the intended purpose is to make it a royal pain to get any kind of metal bee strain isolated, since it's basically 'renewable metals', even if it is at a low rate of return. An extra layer of difficulty to get your 'ideal world' of infinite metal situation which doesn't really exist practically (or at least is far easier to do with UUM, even WITH GregTech) in 99% of games played.

This is a lot harder than I remember, and I've actually got tools I used to not have (i.e. Soul Frames) to help me. However, after a dozen hours of game play, I've finally got Noble and Diligent strains isolated, and as a bonus of trying to cross Forest with Cultivated, I've got a Forest which is a Strong Flyer with Fast production to keep up my honey drops for beealyzing.

Tree breeding is a snap compared to this, it just requires a bit more patience. Maybe I should've just gone Multifarms instead (since I don't play with Steve's Carts). I've already got an orchard with chestnuts and apples (and a good thing I've got chestnuts, because I need the seed oil for the frames).

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Reason I didn't elaborate is I can't quite remember which bee combination it was, but it was most surprising getting an Ancient bee from what I think was a Common/Culti combination. Like I said don't quote me on it though I can't fully remember it was quite some time ago and I breed bees by the thousands.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Common+Cultivated can breed to Noble and Diligent. Noble+Diligent gives Ancient. Maybe somewhere on the line you didn't analyze and bred a Common/Noble with a Cultivated/Diligent, thus resulting in the Ancient as one Allele?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno I can't remember, what I can remember is wondering htf I managed to get an Ancient from the bee combination I put in.