Witchs, huts and FTB.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really play vanilla, so I have no reference to go on as to how the witchs hut and the spawning of witchs work.
But not once in any FTB pack have I seen a witch spawn near a hut.
It's not for lack of coming across these huts either, I explore a lot and come across them all the time.
Iv'e tried approaching them at night, by day but so far not one single witch.

So question is: Has anyone had a witch spawn at or near a hut in FTB (any pack).
Or is there something I am doing wrong ?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

this is a vid from docm77 detailing witch farms but it also explains witch spawning mechanics. if you've found a witch hut then you're about 60% there to getting witches. just watch the vid and count yourself lucky that you found the hut since it is the key to getting them.

Reactions: Molten

cfrostyscriv

Jul 29, 2019
i dont think 60% would be accurate, finding the hut in vanilla is the easy bit, you then have to light up caves, light up or slab a 256 square block area, you then have to destroy the hut and put spawning platforms in, then get the witches to drop about 31 blocks to thier death.

easier way in FTB is to use transformation potion on a skeleton druid (both found in twilight) and collect a witch soul in a soul shard, then combine that soul shard in an anvil with say a skeleton tier 5 shard to get a tier 5 witch shard.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
easier way in FTB is to use transformation potion on a skeleton druid (both found in twilight) and collect a witch soul in a soul shard, then combine that soul shard in an anvil with say a skeleton tier 5 shard to get a tier 5 witch shard.

Yeah I'm aware of that method. But if something is in the game, especially a vanilla feature then I want to know how it works. If only for reference. But thx anyway.

this is a vid from docm77 detailing witch farms but it also explains witch spawning mechanics. if you've found a witch hut then you're about 60% there to getting witches. just watch the vid and count yourself lucky that you found the hut since it is the key to getting them.

Awesome, That explains a lot. I was under the impression they just spawned like a regular mob. But that vid has given me some insight to the mechanics.
Cheers.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
you're welcome!

I said 60% because of the rarity of witch huts combined with XtraBiomes pushing vanilla generation out. Witch huts are pretty rare. lighting stuff up is a given with vanilla mechanics, turtles can make platforms, and if you get them spawning Soul shards allows you to capture them to make farming them automatic.

Good luck with the witches mate. cheers

Jul 29, 2019
I got lucky when messing with thaumcraft flux. Released too much of a certain aspect into the air and the node spewed a witch. Died a few times trying to make sure that when i had a soul shard i killed the witch, not anything else, but heyy, i now have infinite glowstone, redstone, glass and spider eyes :D