Why do people quarry in the Deep Dark?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
So recently in my game I braved making the unstable ingots to make a deep dark portal (And died twice in the process), and frankly I'm unimpressed. From most of what I've seen, once people have the portal, they quarry in the Deep Dark, and I can't figure out why. From how many people do it, I expected so many ores I couldn't even understand it, but frankly, it's less than the overworld, with how abruptly it cuts off, so I'm curious if it's just a reason I'm missing (I haven't done a whole ton of exploring), or if the only reason people quarry in the deep dark is because they don't feel like messing up the overworld?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
So recently in my game I braved making the unstable ingots to make a deep dark portal (And died twice in the process), and frankly I'm unimpressed. From most of what I've seen, once people have the portal, they quarry in the Deep Dark, and I can't figure out why. From how many people do it, I expected so many ores I couldn't even understand it, but frankly, it's less than the overworld, with how abruptly it cuts off, so I'm curious if it's just a reason I'm missing (I haven't done a whole ton of exploring), or if the only reason people quarry in the deep dark is because they don't feel like messing up the overworld?
Its a combination of higher average ore density and not messing up the overworld. The ore spawn rate for at least vanilla ores is set higher than in the overworld. (This doesn't affect modded ores as far as I know). If you haven't explored much the lack of ores may just be a bit of bad luck in that area but if you do more systematic mining there, especially if automated, you may start noticing the higher yields. There are also some castles with good loot in them that are pretty cool looking so explore more.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I plan on using it because I don't like to quarry the overworld in any manner, but I've also heard that ore spawn rates are doubled / tripled there for vMC ores.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
More pertinent question for those of us with cute fuzzy mustelid avatars who aren't wont to pay attention to goings on:

Is the deep dark in Monster 1.1.1 and how do I get there?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
More pertinent question for those of us with cute fuzzy mustelid avatars who aren't wont to pay attention to goings on:

Is the deep dark in Monster 1.1.1 and how do I get there?

XU is in Monster, so the Deep Dark is. In NEI, lookup the "Portal to the Deep Dark" or something along those lines. IIRC you need 4 Unstable Ingots, and a large amount of cobble in various compressed forms.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
you can make unstable nuggets which will craft in stable ingots for 9 more crafts and diamonds out of the sigil

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
1 256x256 (which I believe is the max size) will more than likely be more than enough resources you will ever need. Hell I have about a 100x100 going, and it took several days to complete. Get one of these going and you can focus more on builds and not mucking up your overworld. On the one ocassion I did quarry in my over world it was over an ocean with an ender quarry as to not cause any issues with flowing liquids.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
ogod unstable ingots.

This should be fun.
Like @ratchet freak said, you can make nuggets if the risk is too much for you to handle. Or, if you're like me, a balls to the wall "Go big or go home" idea guy, you may wish to attempt the second ritual, to make a pseudo inversion sigil. Main benefit: All ingots it makes are stable, without needing to make nuggets first. Secondary benefit: Massive bragging rights.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Like @ratchet freak said, you can make nuggets if the risk is too much for you to handle. Or, if you're like me, a balls to the wall "Go big or go home" idea guy, you may wish to attempt the second ritual, to make a pseudo inversion sigil. Main benefit: All ingots it makes are stable, without needing to make nuggets first. Secondary benefit: Massive bragging rights.

I've never heard of a pseudo inversion sigil. Care to explain?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I've never heard of a pseudo inversion sigil. Care to explain?
It's basically a T2 Activated Sigil; it, as far as I know, needs a activated sigil to make, but once you have that, you need to go to the end, and do some crazy things to get it to work. There is a pattern one has to lay out with string and redstone, some chests one has to place and fill with the right objects, and one needs a beacon and a iron golem to start the "ritual", which is basically a giant mob war in the end, complete with vanilla Giants and countless other foes.
Shhh Its a secret( not that there are really secrets on the internet *cough* reddit *cough*).
(also not like there is a imgur post detailing it all as well or anything)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
It's basically a T2 Activated Sigil; it, as far as I know, needs a activated sigil to make, but once you have that, you need to go to the end, and do some crazy things to get it to work. There is a pattern one has to lay out with string and redstone, some chests one has to place and fill with the right objects, and one needs a beacon and a iron golem to start the "ritual", which is basically a giant mob war in the end, complete with vanilla Giants and countless other foes.

(also not like there is a imgur post detailing it all as well or anything)
Not like the imgur was from reddit or anything