Why are all light sources free, except for illuminators?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I know most people hate illuminators for their power usage, and that most people use XyCraft or RP2 lamps because they look nice. I used to have the same ideas. But honestly, after setting up a system using illuminators, I can say that they aren't that bad at all.

Here's a setup using illuminators:
RuNorvM.jpg
Here's a setup using a lantern:
WewPNt8.png
Which one looks more fun to setup?

I would think that more technical people would like to use the setup with illuminators, and that more artistic people would try and do something interesting with the BC lanterns. But most of the time both groups use traditional light sources. It confuses me. Does nobody like setting up illuminators? Or are people just lazy?

Also, this applies to everything. Not just illuminators and BC lanterns.

COMMENCE DISCUSSION

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
illuminators aren't that bad, but as you mentioned they need to be powered. so to use them, you'll need to wire up your whole base with them and find a good way to hide them.
you could ofcourse use CF foam, but not everyone likes the look of it. you can also use immibis microblocks, but it's not a standard mod of FTB

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
I have played with illuminators in the past, and I've found that it's too cumbersome to use. Also, it's not as bright-looking as other light sources.

Last I used it, you won't be able to get it back when you break it, which is very annoying.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Note that they are called Luminators, and not Illuminators...

I tried to use luminators way back in 1.2.5. They had a problem though, namely the model being flipped. They would always emit light towards the side facing away from you when you place it, which was very inconvenient considering that direction usually lies a solid block (the intended usage is to stick them on construction foam walls/ceilings with cables hidden inside). The only way to use a luminator was to have a cable coming out of the ground, and then placing the luminator on top of it from above. That way the light would shine downwards properly. Yet that looks super ugly and results in the area you want to light being full of cables. Can't rewire an already placed luminator either, because as soon as you break the block they're attached to, they break as well, and they don't drop when broken.

So is that issue fixed nowadays? Because I definitely won't be bothering with these until it is so.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Note that they are called Luminators, and not Illuminators...

I tried to use luminators way back in 1.2.5. They had a problem though, namely the model being flipped. They would always emit light towards the side facing away from you when you place it, which was very inconvenient considering that direction usually lies a solid block (the intended usage is to stick them on construction foam walls/ceilings with cables hidden inside). The only way to use a luminator was to have a cable coming out of the ground, and then placing the luminator on top of it from above. That way the light would shine downwards properly. Yet that looks super ugly and results in the area you want to light being full of cables. Can't rewire an already placed luminator either, because as soon as you break the block they're attached to, they break as well, and they don't drop when broken.

So is that issue fixed nowadays? Because I definitely won't be bothering with these until it is so.

I'm talking less about the luminators and more so about the concept of lights requiring power. Luminators themselves are somewhat ugly in a number of situations and they obviously have the bugs that you've described, but if other mods did luminators in their own ways (I.E. buildcraft, TE, RP2) then I would like to see how peoples opinions would change.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
They looked mildly interesting but I don't want to play electrician, running even more lines throughout my base. I'm a Thaumostatic Techno-Adventurer, I collect trees, odd animals, and build fantastic structures.

Wiring lights? I don't have time for that! :p

(but if it's fun for you then go for it!)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm talking less about the luminators and more so about the concept of lights requiring power. Luminators themselves are somewhat ugly in a number of situations and they obviously have the bugs that you've described, but if other mods did luminators in their own ways (I.E. buildcraft, TE, RP2) then I would like to see how peoples opinions would change.

I'm all for the concept, and I tried to use Luminators precisely because they weren't fire-and-forget, but it absolutely takes a backseat to usability in my book.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I'm all for the concept, and I tried to use Luminators precisely because they weren't fire-and-forget, but it absolutely takes a backseat to usability in my book.
i`d say they are close to rp lamps(non-inverted) in terms of usability, because its very likely to have established ic2 power supply in most scenarios, so they dont really differ from fire&forget.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Because your fancy mod light has to compete with Vanilla torches and glowstone, one of which can be made from entirely renewable resources at the bottom of the Vanilla tech branch. Also IC2 power isn't fun for constant power drain without solar panels.

tl;dr - torches are free, this is your baseline.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Because your fancy mod light has to compete with Vanilla torches and glowstone, one of which can be made from entirely renewable resources at the bottom of the Vanilla tech branch. Also IC2 power isn't fun for constant power drain without solar panels.

tl;dr - torches are free, this is your baseline.
strange, i though stable eu supply was the thing for IC2 cuz of that one block.. anyway, torches are op. duh.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I've actually been wanting some type of light source similar to this in my next world where I'll play some variant of the Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge. I'd also want a torch that burned out over time getting dimmer before going pitch black with a set time frame of 10 real-time minutes, adjustable in configs of course. Then when I have my town and city setups if I don't provide enough power I'd get rolling brownouts or full out blackouts.