Why 1.5.1 hoppers rule, a pictoral

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
2013-04-23_10.36.05.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1366738709][/DOUBLEPOST]
2013-04-23_10.39.58.png

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I am excited about them too. You may have seen in my videos they make trivial automation trivial.

And actually, DoctorOr, it can be useful. TE's output consistently beats Vanilla's output slurpage for me. This lets you do some funny things like have overflow valves on TE pipelines.

I also learned that vanilla hoppers can be made into a sorting system when combined with comparators. That's really, really, really interesting. Water conveyors are going back in vogue, I tell you.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Oooh, the vanilla hoppers will pull from the bottom of a machine they are beneath? Wow!

..and videos, KirinDave? Can you post some links? I'd like to see!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Oooh, the vanilla hoppers will pull from the bottom of a machine they are beneath? Wow!

..and videos, KirinDave? Can you post some links? I'd like to see!

Look at the link in my sig for how you can use them when you're just starting out.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly is the hopper in the second picture doing? It's inserting into the left machine, but there is nothing else that can put items into it. Or is it somehow magically taking items out of the right machine?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly is the hopper in the second picture doing? It's inserting into the left machine, but there is nothing else that can put items into it. Or is it somehow magically taking items out of the right machine?

I was wondering that, too. Maybe this is how DoctorOr is loading the machine. You can just right-click them and drop stuff in and it's more convenient than the stock TE interface in many cases.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

That's just a magma crucible (four, actually) receiving netherrack. But the hopper not needing to be above the crucible compacts the build. This is "Steve's First Power System", with the magmatic engines above.

Vanilla hoppers will always deliver to the machine you click on, so even if there was a choice from that position on where to send items - it wouldn't actually vary.

But yeah, since it's a TE machine that has auto export, the one on the right could be putting items in the hopper which sends to the left. It's just not for what they're doing.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
But yeah, since it's a TE machine that has auto export, the one on the right could be putting items in the hopper which sends to the left.
It couldn't. You can't normally output (or input) items through the front face.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
That's just a magma crucible (four, actually) receiving netherrack. But the hopper not needing to be above the crucible compacts the build

Vanilla hoppers will always deliver to the machine you click on, so even if there was a choice from that position on where to send items - it wouldn't actually vary.

Oh clever. The TE machines eject into its inventory! I hadn't thought of that, but it definitely opens up more flexible builds.

When are Buildcraft pipes gonna get upgraded to not drop things? Now that hoppers exist, they have no excuse save for legacy coding purposes.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
BC pipes only drop items when they can't send them anywhere. There is no other possible solution to that, other than maybe automatically voiding them. Pipes can't store overflow items in themselves (otherwise you could use them as infinite chests), and doing a backflow a la Redpower would take a complete redesign of what pipes do.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
There's also how you can get a chest-sized hopper by putting on of these on a machine. Remember: they pull items from inventories above them, so if you put a diamond chest there you get a fun overkill.
I still wonder what's going to happen to BC hoppers.

EDIT: Speaking of pipes, do these hoppers output to them?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
So if I put a Vanilla Hopper on top of my TE pulverizer.. then stick a Diamond Check on top of that vanilla hopper... the hopper will auto-pull from the chest's inventory?!

SWEET!

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
When are Buildcraft pipes gonna get upgraded to not drop things? Now that hoppers exist, they have no excuse save for legacy coding purposes.

With insertion pipes available in 1.5.1 from TE, a buildcraft pipe system that drops anything is a sign of lazy design. You can literally do overflow chests and don't need iron-pipe bouncebacks (or loops)[DOUBLEPOST=1366740875][/DOUBLEPOST]
So if I put a Vanilla Hopper on top of my TE pulverizer.. then stick a Diamond Check on top of that vanilla hopper... the hopper will auto-pull from the chest's inventory?!

SWEET!

Or place the hopper to the left or right of the pulverizer. The only place sensitive area is that the chest has to be above the hopper.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Why Vanilla hoppers fail in 6 words: "I didn't mean to drop that!"

Open topped blocks that suck items in with potentially horrible consequences, not a good idea. Or have we not learned from the TC3 crucible? :/

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
GT translocators can be used to do a similar function. Can someone who has used both compare them in terms of transfer speed and "reaction" time?

(For those who don't know, GT automation currently only checks the input every 10 seconds, so if you put something in it takes 10 seconds to get sucked in no matter what you do. I am hoping that hoppers don't have this restriction.)