Whats the transport pipe travel length?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TklGamer FTB

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I have a question about the transport pipes in FTB and I was wondering about how far they would travel... for example me and my friends are setting up a transport system on our server but to do that I would need to know if they would work in unloaded chunks... would I need chunk loaders all the way to his setup? I would really appreciate an answer :) Thanks!

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Yes chunk loaders will be needed for unloaded chunks. The interface for chunkloaders helps alot as you can load just the x, y, or z coordinates in a line spanning many chunks. For instance you can load the x line you are on for say 5 chunks... very useful

TklGamer FTB

Jul 29, 2019
Yes chunk loaders will be needed for unloaded chunks. The interface for chunkloaders helps alot as you can load just the x, y, or z coordinates in a line spanning many chunks. For instance you can load the x line you are on for say 5 chunks... very useful

Thanks so much! I appreciate the thorough explanation!

Predatorkillol

Jul 29, 2019
if your working over long distance and you have some fairly decent resources you could make an item tesseract or ender chest for item teleportation.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
if your working over long distance and you have some fairly decent resources you could make an item tesseract or ender chest for item teleportation.

Which is good advice, because it will be cheaper in the end and much less laggy. Enderchests are probably the cheaper of the two.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The tesseracts would be the better situation in this case. Sending items over long distances can become very hard on your CPU. The longer the travel time, the longer the system has to keep track/move an item through the transport pipe. If the transport distance is fairly long, you could have thousands of items traveling at one time.

If it is completely unavoidable, I would suggest storing all the items in a chest then sending them out a stack at a time using a combustion engine, or the like. I am not sure if it'd reduce the entity tracking list though, but it is an idea.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
If it is completely unavoidable, I would suggest storing all the items in a chest then sending them out a stack at a time using a combustion engine, or the like. I am not sure if it'd reduce the entity tracking list though, but it is an idea.

It would certainly help. It's better to send a single stack of 64 cobble than 64 individual 'stacks' of 1 cobble. But there's really no reason in this situation to not just go for item tesseracts. The only 'hard' part is the 4 ender pearls per tesseract you need to fill them.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019

This would be my suggested method as well. Using an EnderChest or Item Tesseract...you have to keep 2 chucks loaded no matter how far apart they are. If you are 1000 blocks apart...you would have to keep 63 chunks loaded using transport pipes.

Reactions: Lord Wumbo

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, for your servers sake I would reccomend teleporting.

Item Tesseracts will probably work best for things like quarrys with automated outputs that can have a lot of diffrent items. Ender chests can be hard to empty and jam in some cases. (When you have itmes refilling the first slot faster then you extract them).

If your just mioving items from one storage to anouther, then you can use either quite easly.

If you want style and are just doing it for the occasional move, create some kind of system which activates the loaders just long enough for the items to move before shutting down. (Im pritty sure they're redstone sensative).

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, for your servers sake I would reccomend teleporting.

Item Tesseracts will probably work best for things like quarrys with automated outputs that can have a lot of diffrent items. Ender chests can be hard to empty and jam in some cases. (When you have itmes refilling the first slot faster then you extract them).

If your just mioving items from one storage to anouther, then you can use either quite easly.

If you want style and are just doing it for the occasional move, create some kind of system which activates the loaders just long enough for the items to move before shutting down. (Im pritty sure they're redstone sensative).

Each redstone circuit will have to be completely chunkloaded too.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have a relatively short transport pipe run from my MFR tree farm to my base (about 40-50 blocks). I am just using stone transport pipes, and I have at least 1000 items in the pipe at any one time (maybe more since the tree farm is running nearly full speed and harvesting leaves). As it is, it still takes over 2 minutes for items from the farm to make it down to my AE system. I don't have a lot of lag in this system, but I would not want to stretch something like this any further than it is. Even now, I'm contemplating running my AE system all the way there, or moving the tree farm closer.

I have a remote bee area about 150 blocks away, and even for that short distance, I'm going to be using tesseracts for sending items. I wouldn't want to keep all the chunks in-between loaded just for a pipe transport system.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I have a relatively short transport pipe run from my MFR tree farm to my base (about 40-50 blocks). I am just using stone transport pipes, and I have at least 1000 items in the pipe at any one time (maybe more since the tree farm is running nearly full speed and harvesting leaves). As it is, it still takes over 2 minutes for items from the farm to make it down to my AE system. I don't have a lot of lag in this system, but I would not want to stretch something like this any further than it is. Even now, I'm contemplating running my AE system all the way there, or moving the tree farm closer.

I have a remote bee area about 150 blocks away, and even for that short distance, I'm going to be using tesseracts for sending items. I wouldn't want to keep all the chunks in-between loaded just for a pipe transport system.

1000 items really, what type of trees are they? (Actually, I have just done a bit of math. If you are harvesting Birch trees with leaves you will probably get 55-65 blocks on average. So when taking two minutes to get, you will need to harvest 16-19 trees every two mins which doesn't actually sound too unreasonable. I'm still surprised though.) It might be worth upgrading to gold pipes soon though, you will only need 10 or so ingots. If I recall, Gold pipes compress individual items of the same type into a full stack which I believe reduces lag further.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
If I recall, Gold pipes compress individual items of the same type into a full stack which I believe reduces lag further.
Every pipe do this if there is enough items inside of the same type (configurable).

Overall you don't have to have every pipe golden, only one every couple of pipes. For FPS sake you should use golden pipes quite often, they are not that expensive and help a lot.

The most fun way of transferring items long distance are trains. They require a bit of learning, but it is really satisfying to see trains travelling in different directions with your goods.

Reactions: casilleroatr

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
My main point wasn't to improve my tree farm system, but more along the lines as I wouldn't do anything longer or crazier than this with pipes as there are way too many item entities in this small system. I would hate to see what would happen with a larger system sending lots and lots of items over great distances. I already have plans to address my MFR farm, it's just that there are more important things at the moment, and it does power my base exclusively.

I do like the train suggestion. I've been needing an excuse to set one up. Maybe I can use it for my bee area.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft is so underused for transport. A cart train made of a few chest carts and a anchor cart with some loaders and unloaders can do wonders. Also loaders and unloaders are so configurable it's almost a shame not to use them.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda prefer Traincraft for item transit like that, although the new one Rails of War could have some similar functionality in the future.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
even vanilla chest carts and hoppers are good for long distance transport if you get the chunks loaded (or use mystcraft portals)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Etho of the Mindcrackers used a train system to haul from his quarries back to his base. Of course, he did so by throwing trains through the air, but still.

Another interesting way is with a chunkloader turtle. I used it once at a LAN game to send secure messages to another player, using a warded block tunnel. You can send 15 slots worth of goodies, and it only loads a couple of chunks at a time.

Reactions: casilleroatr

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
iirc, he had problems trying to keep up with the output of the system. Though that could easily be solved by adding in more minecarts, keep in mind that the output of a full speed quarry is quite high.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, but it was mostly a matter of getting the train properly aligned under the dispensers. Of course, you don't have run quarries at full speed. I run them around 40 Mj and find the three-cart set up he had works just fine.