What Would Make MFR Balanced?

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
I know a lot of you people out there find MFR OP, and I can agree with that. However, I love the items MFR adds so I still include it. I decided a thread about it might come to a answer to this question: What do you guys think it would take in terms of power creation and consumption to make it balanced?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Run it with TE3, have MFR configured to use TE3's recipes. Then configure TE3 to use steel in it's recipes. Make sure you have a mod that makes steel in not an easy way. E.g. RailCraft.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Run it with TE3, have MFR configured to use TE3's recipes. Then configure TE3 to use steel in it's recipes. Make sure you have a mod that makes steel in not an easy way. E.g. RailCraft.
But then TE is nerfed as well. Also, once you have steel, its smooth sailing. Additionally, you need TE installed.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with everything but forcing steel use. That's just pushing stuff back until you have a blast furnace. That isn't any harder. Just delays until you have steel production, which is cheap to process once you have the forge. Delays != difficulty. It's just a new enforced horizontal progression line.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
But even with TE recipes, its pretty OP. And one of my modpacks doesn't even have TE! I like MFR, but it's killing the hardcore part of the pack.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, nothing else from me then. I play only with TE3's recipes enabled without steel requirement. Thing with MFR is it is designed to make things easy unless there's a config for MFR natively to make it harder. :/

Maybe a self enforced RotaryCraft power only?

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Well firstly, that would require gregtech. But its still OP once made. How much do you think nerfing power consumption and creation would make it balanced?[DOUBLEPOST=1389154605][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, nothing else from me then. I play only with TE3's recipes enabled without steel requirement. Thing with MFR is it is designed to make things easy unless there's a config for MFR natively to make it harder. :/

Maybe a self enforced RotaryCraft power only?
Well, even though I havent seen it myself, Mr. Skyboy insists there is a config for power.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhhhh, apparently all machines have separate power config. Now if someone just made a list of more balanced config settings.

codespawner

Jul 29, 2019
There is indeed config options for power consumption, at least in 1.6.4 skyboy version...
It depends on what other mods you do have, and to what extent you want to block people from MFR

I know a 1.6.2 Gregtech server owner makes it that breaking a single block with harvester takes almost all of its internal power storage... (forgot the precise number)
along with several other MFR machine power-consumption adjusted

As a consequence, simply no one use MFR for farming.
And I even see one piston+blockbreaker tree farm...

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Normal mode:
  • Double power consumption.
  • Make the machine block recipe only output 1 block.
  • Make the upgrades require the previous upgrade.
  • Remove MFR rubber trees when IC2 is installed.
  • Remove fertilizer.
"Balanced" mode:
  • Only use IC2 power
  • Install Gregtech.
  • Install TerraFirmaCraft
That should be some pretty good balance.

Reactions: jokermatt999

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
It's fine the way it is, quit asking every mod creator to make their mods more and more tedious because you think that equals difficulty.
Why is it more tedious? I set up a tree farm with MFR running on charcoal, having it require 10 MJ/t is going to make it produce a lot less wood than 1 MJ/t. Purely an example, don't know the actual power consumption rate off the top of my head. And what does Skyboy have to do? Everythings already in there, just looking to see what other people would consider "balanced".[DOUBLEPOST=1389155832][/DOUBLEPOST]
Normal mode:
  • Double power consumption.
  • Make the machine block recipe only output 1 block.
  • Remove MFR rubber trees when IC2 is installed.
  • Remove fertilizer.
"Balanced" mode:
  • Only use IC2 power
  • Install Gregtech.
  • Install TerraFirmaCraft
That should be some pretty good balance.
Now THATS what I was looking for! Anyone else want to put in their two cents?

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it more tedious? I set up a tree farm with MFR running on charcoal, having it require 10 MJ/t is going to make it produce a lot less wood than 1 MJ/t. Purely an example, don't know the actual power consumption rate off the top of my head.

It'll produce less wood, so you'll just make twice as many farms to produce the same amount of wood you did before, in the end you accomplished nothing but adding more lag to the server, congrats.

codespawner

Jul 29, 2019
to be more precise, if you really want to "balance" for example the tree farms, you need to:
1. list all possible tree-farming approaches
2. understand the design difficulty, machine investment, maintaince cost(including energy, labor and other items), output efficiency, output stability, etc. for each approach
3. for each approach, convert everything in 2. into a single "OPness" measurement. This must be of something that can be compared (for example, a real number)
4. Compare the measurement of all approaches, find the most "balanced" one (the one with lowest OPness)
5. nerf every other approaches to meet the OPness of the most "balanced" one
6. Some of them may be impossible to adjust from config files. Consult "Forge SMP modding tutorials" to deal with those "OP" approaches
7. Viola~

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
It'll produce less wood, so you'll just make twice as many farms to produce the same amount of wood you did before, in the end you accomplished nothing but adding more lag to the server, congrats.
And itll require twice as many resources and twice as much space. By that logic, why not make quarries instamine their whole area? I mean, you can just craft more of them to get the same result.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
to be more precise, if you really want to "balance" for example the tree farms, you need to:
1. list all possible tree-farming approaches
2. understand the design difficulty, machine investment, maintaince cost(including energy, labor and other items), output efficiency, output stability, etc. for each approach
3. for each approach, convert everything in 2. into a single "OPness" measurement. This must be of something that can be compared (for example, a real number)
4. Compare the measurement of all approaches, find the most "balanced" one (the one with lowest OPness)
5. nerf every other approaches to meet the OPness of the most "balanced" one
6. Some of them may be impossible to adjust from config files. Consult "Forge SMP modding tutorials" to deal with those "OP" approaches
7. Viola~
All I really find OP is MFR. Everything else like forestry, thaumcraft, and steves carts are fine.

KoncreteLiquids

Jul 29, 2019
I do think MFR is waaaaaaaayyyyyy too overpowered although it is one of the first things I build... Honestly about the only way to balance it is to limit the size and speed of it. I use emerald upgrades and a single tree farm and can run 16 quarries off that with plenty of excess, could probably go to 32 quarries looking at how quickly I am building charcoal up and really it only costs 6 emeralds to run all of it.

I know, I know "Why don't you just 'don't use it' if you think it is OP" honestly, every other "automatic" farm system in the game is complicated and costs double/triple the resources and gets you 10% of the return that 6 emeralds can get you.

The answer is, There is no easy way to make every mod perfectly "balanced"... If you think a mod is a OP change the configs, if that doesn't work then don't use it.

edit below

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this one simple idea

Last edited: