What modpacks will run best while delivering good content on my PC?

T10a

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,
I was trying to run FTB modpacks on my PC. However, it is so slow I can't run it at all (15-20 FPS). Which modpacks would be best for a:

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5738G
RAM: 4.00 (2.99 avaliable because 32bit OS)
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 105M
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz

(I have a feeling everyone is going to say 'get a new pc'. While this is true, I would like to know what modpacks would run well on this setup until I can get a new PC)

Doesn't have to be a 1.6.4 modpack.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I'm able to run all modpacks and I have the same computer. I can run them at 30-40 fps. However, I use a Linux OS(Lubuntu 12.04).

Imnafoy

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack you should use to get most fps? Vanilla :D

Jokes aside, it's not that bad laptop... at least compared to mine... (Asus F3JP - i C2D T5600 1,83GHz, 2GB RAM, Ati mobility radeon x1700).
My recommendations would be use Linux (with some lightweight enviroment, something like Lubuntu, xubuntu, if you have any experience with linux, you could use something with openbox or so... personally I'm using Slackel right now, but it is for more advanced users then *buntu).
You should definitelly use optifine to disable things like animations and such (it has some glitches, but you'll survive) and fpsplus+, you should give minecraft at least 1GB memory, but on the other hand you shouldn't give it more memory you have...

About modpacks... you could run pretty much every modpack... but don't expect too much... I'm pretty much playing at 5-15 fps... when I'm in my base. I'm used to this... so for me is:
0-1 fps - unplayable
2-5 fps - slow
6-10 fps - choppy, maybe a little bit uncomfortable
11-15 fps - pretty much ok
16-20 fps- thats ideal
21+ fps - wow... thats fast... It looks weird
:D
Next thing is if you are playing in SSP or SMP... when you are playing in SSP, your client is also acting as server... that means a lot more work to do -> you'll get less fps. for me is practically impossible to play in SSP, only for testing things but it is still a pain.
And finally... you should be careful, what you build, when pipes are displaying items, it'll reduce fps, If you have tons of barrels instead of one block with AE storage drives (like me... my storage system is LP + JABBA barrels... ).... It'll reduce fps, If you have tons of crystal chests, It'll reduce fps, same with pipes, microblocks, machines etc, it'll reduce fps, so, my recommendation would be to make two bases... one where you have automated things and one where you live... and that base with automated machines should be as far as possible :D

And about modpacks... general rule is that FTB Lite should be better for slow computers... but, it should be possible run almost any modpack on your pc, but maybe you should avoid packs with 150+ mods... :)

psp

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack you should use to get most fps? Vanilla :D

Jokes aside, it's not that bad laptop... at least compared to mine... (Asus F3JP - i C2D T5600 1,83GHz, 2GB RAM, Ati mobility radeon x1700).
My recommendations would be use Linux (with some lightweight enviroment, something like Lubuntu, xubuntu, if you have any experience with linux, you could use something with openbox or so... personally I'm using Slackel right now, but it is for more advanced users then *buntu).
You should definitelly use optifine to disable things like animations and such (it has some glitches, but you'll survive) and fpsplus+, you should give minecraft at least 1GB memory, but on the other hand you shouldn't give it more memory you have...

About modpacks... you could run pretty much every modpack... but don't expect too much... I'm pretty much playing at 5-15 fps... when I'm in my base. I'm used to this... so for me is:
0-1 fps - unplayable
2-5 fps - slow
6-10 fps - choppy, maybe a little bit uncomfortable
11-15 fps - pretty much ok
16-20 fps- thats ideal
21+ fps - wow... thats fast... It looks weird
:D
Next thing is if you are playing in SSP or SMP... when you are playing in SSP, your client is also acting as server... that means a lot more work to do -> you'll get less fps. for me is practically impossible to play in SSP, only for testing things but it is still a pain.
And finally... you should be careful, what you build, when pipes are displaying items, it'll reduce fps, If you have tons of barrels instead of one block with AE storage drives (like me... my storage system is LP + JABBA barrels... ).... It'll reduce fps, If you have tons of crystal chests, It'll reduce fps, same with pipes, microblocks, machines etc, it'll reduce fps, so, my recommendation would be to make two bases... one where you have automated things and one where you live... and that base with automated machines should be as far as possible :D

And about modpacks... general rule is that FTB Lite should be better for slow computers... but, it should be possible run almost any modpack on your pc, but maybe you should avoid packs with 150+ mods... :)
Have to agree with you there.