What is the BEST way to power a quarry for me in FTB Infinity?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DakuFaita

Jul 29, 2019
I just built a quarry in FTB Infinity and what with all the mods in it was wondering the best way to power it. Preferably something not too resource demanding and I was also wondering if there is something that will infinitely power so that I'll never have to repower it. THAT can be resource demanding but I just want to know for when I get more resources. So yeah... Anything for now?

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Solar infinite power as long as its day but will be kinda slow. Also lava generators with enderthermic pump and ender tanks just have to move it once in a while. A small sized big reactor. Simple tree farm and making it into charcoal for power. There are many different options to go with.

DakuFaita

Jul 29, 2019
Solar infinite power as long as its day but will be kinda slow. Also lava generators with enderthermic pump and ender tanks just have to move it once in a while. A small sized big reactor. Simple tree farm and making it into charcoal for power. There are many different options to go with.
Could you be more specific? Like how exactly to do one of those things?

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Well with solar panels just craft them and have a energy conduit in the bottom and running to quarry. And a way to collect the items. Ender thermic pump in nether right above lava with lava generator right next to it. The pump will put lava in it and generator will power pump until no lava left just have to jump start generator with a bucket of lava. Have ender tank on top. Where quarry is put another lava generator next to it and another ender tank same color code as last tank and right click dial so it outputs lava into generator. And a way to collect items.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactor for me. The quarry will provide an excess of Yellorium Ore every time you run it in a new location, which will help keep the reactor going. It will even allow you to expand the reactor later on because you will soon have tons of YellOre.

I always build a 3x3x4tall reactor ASAP. Two fuel rods in the middle, control rod on top, reactor controller, 2 reactor I/O ports (one to put fuel in, the other change it to the blue color when you place it to eject waste) and a power tap.

Run the power to the quarry using either TE tesseracts (if they still exist, haven't played with TE in quite some time) or the Ender IO Dimensional Transceivers. With an ender quarry, I can just drop the DimTrans right on top of the quarry and away it goes. No wires, cables or conduits is a beautiful thing. :)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I have a cheaty setup using Big Reactors turbines myself in my creative world.
build your standard optimized turbine (7x7x17) with 80 blades and 37 enderium blocks, and power it using steam produced by 5 Minefactory Reloaded's Steam Boilers.

you'll need to supply these steam boilers with both water and a fuel. water is easy, just use an aqueous accumulator, but for fuel I'm using lava buckets.
now you might think lava is not exactly infinite, which is not true because MFR adds a machine called the Lava Fabricator, which only requires RF to produce lava.

but the steam boilers don't accept liquid fuel, so I also use a fluid transposer to fill the buckets with lava. with all of this I'm using the ender io conduits for power, liquid and items to route everything around.
it takes some time to heat up and to collect enough shiny metals to build this thing, but once it gets going, it's a solid 24k RF for no fuel cost at all.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Wrong question. When you ask "What's the BEST..." there is no answer. What other things do you do? You have to take those activities into account as well. Also, "BEST" is a matter of opinion. Just tell someone who you think the "best" music group is... Or the "best" computer operating system, or even programming language.

Pick a power gen and try it. If you don't like it then tear it down or use it for another system and try again.

Or do what I do... Create another world to try something different. You don't have to delete the old one, after all.

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
The solutions are not the best IMO but I agree with @Hambeau just test things in a new world until you find something you like. The ways I described are just some of the ways I have ran a quarry ever since tekkit. Exception of enderthermic pump that is newer but the concept of lava power is the same. On my current world I am doing a big reactor at max size to supply power to everything eventually. Even if its non efficient just because I can or maybe a nuclear reactor from ic2.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I just built a quarry in FTB Infinity and what with all the mods in it was wondering the best way to power it. Preferably something not too resource demanding and I was also wondering if there is something that will infinitely power so that I'll never have to repower it. THAT can be resource demanding but I just want to know for when I get more resources. So yeah... Anything for now?
The word "BEST" in this context appears to be considered another "four letter word" by some. :)

If you don't have a lot of resources, I would recommend an MFR tree farm with some powered furnace creating charcoal that you send to the quarry using ender chests (can move them manually at first). Then burn it there using some steam dynamos from TE. You want a tree farm anyway if you don't have one already, and it's 100% renewable.

Later on go for an ender quarry (huge improvement over the original BC quarry, also a bit more of a PITA to craft) and a Big Reactor. While perhaps not fully renewable, it won't really matter when you have a 1000x1000 (or so) quarry running.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I only do quarries early game which means I'm usually powering everything with magmatic dynamos. Plenty of lava in the nether.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The word "BEST" in this context appears to be considered another "four letter word" by some. :)

If you don't have a lot of resources, I would recommend an MFR tree farm with some powered furnace creating charcoal that you send to the quarry using ender chests (can move them manually at first). Then burn it there using some steam dynamos from TE. You want a tree farm anyway if you don't have one already, and it's 100% renewable.

Later on go for an ender quarry (huge improvement over the original BC quarry, also a bit more of a PITA to craft) and a Big Reactor. While perhaps not fully renewable, it won't really matter when you have a 1000x1000 (or so) quarry running.

Funny you should mention MFR Tree farm... This happened to me about 2 hours ago.

I live inside a Natura Redwood... What could possibly go wrong?

1) I Built my MFR Tree Farm just a little too close to said home, but made sure the farm wouldn't touch my tree

2) I tried to check the operation of the Harvester while underground without realizing I was holding a Crescent Hammer

3) I tried to fix the issue by rotating the Harvester instead of removing and replacing it

2015-02-16_17.37.01.png

I was able to stop the process and repair the damage, but my upper floor now has vaulted ceilings :D

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Funny you should mention MFR Tree farm... This happened to me about 2 hours ago.

1) I Built my MFR Tree Farm just a little too close to said home, but made sure the farm wouldn't touch my tree

2) I tried to check the operation of the Harvester while underground without realizing I was holding a Crescent Hammer

3) I tried to fix the issue by rotating the Harvester instead of removing and replacing it

2015-02-16_17.37.01.png

I was able to stop the process and repair the damage, but my upper floor now has vaulted ceilings :D
At least your base is eco friendly lol

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

2015-02-16_17.37.01.png

so much room for activities

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I built a level of the house out of dark oak logs in my current world - with an MFR harvester too close. When I went outside and saw how it looked, I first wondered how the world could be rolled back when I was in single player ...
Oh well, didn't quite like the look of that floor anyway. The harvester had kindly dismantled the whole thing and placed it in a barrel for me. :)