what is the best way to get water into the reactor?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
So here it is guys about to make my first turbine :) From what I can tell my big reactor needs to make steam and has to have extra water pumped into it. I seen the mindcrafter vids were he just uses extra cells with AE to extract water from accumulators put them into the AE then export directly to the reactor to convert into steam. Now here is what I was wondering, this is probably way over kill but I have a ton of resources so it dont matter lol. Why not just stick a tesssaract on top of like 10 accumulators and have those pushing directly into the reactor to convert to steam then power the turbine. I just may be confused idk ha be nice its my first time :p
But ya anyways I have a capacitor bank that can store 2.5T RF and my yellorium it burning up fast. Even though I have 14k of it but that is not the point. Any suggestions on how to do this water thing would be helpful cause I want as much as possible so that I can add 4 turbines in total that are 7x7x17 seen that vid on here actually.
Anyways thanks guys!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Best way is to create a closed loop: have the output from the turbine go back into the reactor. You can do this with tesseracts if you like, or a ton of piping, or extra utilities transfer nodes, or just place the turbine and reactor adjacent to one another and have the inputs and outputs connect between them.

Reactions: Azzanine and rhn

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Best way is to create a closed loop: have the output from the turbine go back into the reactor. You can do this with tesseracts if you like, or a ton of piping, or extra utilities transfer nodes, or just place the turbine and reactor adjacent to one another and have the inputs and outputs connect between them.
Ninja'd by Pyure.
Yeah, closed loops are the best, and probably easiest if you stick the reactor and turbines down directly adjacent to each other.
You'll need to get some water in to begin with, but an aqueous accumulator would work for that.
If you REALLY want to add water in instead of using a closed loop, pretty much XU transfer nodes are the best. You might also be able to use those new Super-Laminal fluiducts from Thermal Dynamics and a couple Aqueous Accumulators with max speed upgrades.

Reactions: Pyure

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Ninja'd by Pyure.
Yeah, closed loops are the best, and probably easiest if you stick the reactor and turbines down directly adjacent to each other.
You'll need to get some water in to begin with, but an aqueous accumulator would work for that.
If you REALLY want to add water in instead of using a closed loop, pretty much XU transfer nodes are the best. You might also be able to use those new Super-Laminal fluiducts from Thermal Dynamics and a couple Aqueous Accumulators with max speed upgrades.
I am gonna try it all lol If you only know what I recently did to get rid of 41k iron ore. I realized I had 10 main ores in my system that there was a ton of. So I said screw it and made 10 resonant pulverizers and 10 resonant furnaces and hooked them to the AE and ran a bunch of export buses and import buses then put the the fastest augments in them and stuff runs crazy :) But ya I will try what you guys are suggesting probably with tessaracts and making some sort of closed loop. Or I could do this maybe??? http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/free-power-the-self-sustaining-turbine.99521/
Cause then I could still have my big reactor doing his thing and a turbine doing his thing :) Unless that is pointless

Reactions: Type1Ninja

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Ok guys I am a bit stumped atm on this I am gonna make a very quick video to explain where I am stuck so if you could watch it only like a minute or two long just to explain some stuff to me please :)

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Ok here is the video its 2 minutes long. Is everything ok? Can I run another turbine? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks guys for the help!!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I watched most of the video. No audio, at work.

Are you actually having any problems? Everything looks fine to me at a glance.

The number of turbines you can run is basically steam/t divided by 2000, rounded up or down depending on whether you want them running efficiently.

If you're producing 4000 steam, you can create two maximum sized turbines with hefty coil blocks and run them at maximum efficiency. Obviously you can also more smaller turbines if you want to.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
I watched most of the video. No audio, at work.

Are you actually having any problems? Everything looks fine to me at a glance.

The number of turbines you can run is basically steam/t divided by 2000, rounded up or down depending on whether you want them running efficiently.

If you're producing 4000 steam, you can create two maximum sized turbines with hefty coil blocks and run them at maximum efficiency. Obviously you can also more smaller turbines if you want to.
That is where I am confused about the steam :( What steam am I actually supposed to be looking at and where to determine those numbers? There is a couple areas for it so I am just confused sorry :(

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That is where I am confused about the steam :( What steam am I actually supposed to be looking at and where to determine those numbers? There is a couple areas for it so I am just confused sorry :(
Ok no problem. I see what the issue is.

You're using your turbine to "choke" the steam throughput. You set it to allow a maximum of 1500 mb/t through. The problem is that your reactor is actually creating more steam than that, but when you choke it at 1500, it all gets backed up in the reactor and causes the heat to rise drastically.

What you probably want to do is increase that choke to 2000 mb/t. If you still clog up, you'll want to either create less steam (by cooling down your reactor via the control rods) or add more turbines.

Edit: Since you want your turbines to spin at 1800 rpm (approx), you want to adjust your steam throughput until it does just that. Which may genuinely be at 1500 mb/t, at which point you want to be sure you're cooling your reactor enough to generate approximately 1500 mb/t throughput.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Ok no problem. I see what the issue is.

You're using your turbine to "choke" the steam throughput. You set it to allow a maximum of 1500 mb/t through. The problem is that your reactor is actually creating more steam than that, but when you choke it at 1500, it all gets backed up in the reactor and causes the heat to rise drastically.

What you probably want to do is increase that choke to 2000 mb/t. If you still clog up, you'll want to either create less steam (by cooling down your reactor via the control rods) or add more turbines.
So to cool the reactor do I insert deeper then?
And when I put the choke higher on the turbine it dont get enough steam :(. Or do you mean the choke on the reactor? Sorry this is really my first time ever doing this.
Thank you for helping me though!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So to cool the reactor do I insert deeper then?
And when I put the choke higher on the turbine it dont get enough steam :(. Or do you mean the choke on the reactor? Sorry this is really my first time ever doing this.
Thank you for helping me though!
No these are good questions.

By default, a reactor is set with its control rods at 0%. This means the rods are completely out of the way, and all neutrons are able to fly around and cause chain reactions. The reactor at this point is running at full heat.

When you increase that %, you're lowering the rods into "blocking" position. The rods are made out of a dense material that blocks neutrons. So if they're at 50%, only half the amount of neutrons can cause chain reactions. If you increase that number to 99%, the rods are almost fully in place, your reactor is running "as cool as possible", and reactions are barely happening at all.

This is generally the best way to control your steam throughput: adjusting the rod percentage (By the way, I find it easiest to do this by adding a redstone port, so that you can manage all the rods at once by changing a single value. No computercraft stuff required.)

When you have them at a good level, you'll notice that your reactor has an almost-empty steam buffer. This is because the turbine is consuming steam at the same pace that the reactor is generating it.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
No these are good questions.

By default, a reactor is set with its control rods at 0%. This means the rods are completely out of the way, and all neutrons are able to fly around and cause chain reactions. The reactor at this point is running at full heat.

When you increase that %, you're lowering the rods into "blocking" position. The rods are made out of a dense material that blocks neutrons. So if they're at 50%, only half the amount of neutrons can cause chain reactions. If you increase that number to 99%, the rods are almost fully in place, your reactor is running "as cool as possible", and reactions are barely happening at all.

This is generally the best way to control your steam throughput: adjusting the rod percentage (By the way, I find it easiest to do this by adding a redstone port, so that you can manage all the rods at once by changing a single value. No computercraft stuff required.)

When you have them at a good level, you'll notice that your reactor has an almost-empty steam buffer. This is because the turbine is consuming steam at the same pace that the reactor is generating it.
I shall try and very good explanation is was very cool!! So since I have almost 20k Mb of steam in my reactor that means my turbine should be able to consume more than 1.5k Mb ? cause when I put it to 2k it like has no water in it :( anyways when I get home from school I will try a bunch of stuff :) Thank you so much and I shall share this thread if anyone has questions!

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Fluid transfer nodes with world interaction upgrades I find gives you the best control and throughput. But they can get expensive depending on where you set them up. Set it up too far and you end up needing more speed upgrades to get a consistent rate.
Then again you are better off running a closed system.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Fluid transfer nodes with world interaction upgrades I find gives you the best control and throughput. But they can get expensive depending on where you set them up. Set it up too far and you end up needing more speed upgrades to get a consistent rate.
Then again you are better off running a closed system.

I have 1 interaction and 2 stacks of speed upgrades. And like 20 nodes of that :) I think that would be enough

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have 1 interaction and 2 stacks of speed upgrades. And like 20 nodes of that :) I think that would be enough
BR Reactors consume an absolutely stupid amount of water, which is why its sometimes critical to create a closed loop and send water back from the turbine to the reactor.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
BR Reactors consume an absolutely stupid amount of water, which is why its sometimes critical to create a closed loop and send water back from the turbine to the reactor.
Ya in the video it shows me making aclosed loop through tessaract and I still have water going into the reactor. Is that ok>?

YekimonTheMarginal

Jul 29, 2019
I just leave an aqueous accumulator running into the reactor at all times. Doesn't seem to hurt. As long as the loop is closed, you should be ok. I mostly leave it because I'm lazy. But also just in case to top of the reactor.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to reverse that ratio. Remember each world interaction upgrade increases the rate by 1 bucket per operation. Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but speed upgrades cap out at a stack.

Depending on how hot your reactor is you could get away with 4 world interaction upgrades and what ever number of speed upgrades it takes to get the required mb per tic for your turbine.
Assuming you haven't opted for the more efficient closed water loop.
If a reactor is hot enough it will vaporize the water instantly.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok here is the video its 2 minutes long. Is everything ok? Can I run another turbine? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks guys for the help!!
1: Water/steam
The whole point of using 2x Tesseracts is having one channel for steam and one channel for water and thereby recycling the water from the turbine back into the reactor. The Fluid Ports on both Reactor and Turbine can be set to both Input and Output to match this. This saves the MASSIVE lag monster of Transfer Nodes that you have created. Reuse the water and you can use a single non-upgraded Transfer Node or a Aqueous Accumulator to fill the water network initially.

2: The reactor setup
Your internal reactor setup looks to be very poorly optimized. And it is a VERY large reactor for a single turbine.
Something more optimal for a reactor of the size you have there would be something like this:
http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...olRodInsertion=21&layout=O3COC3X2C3X2C3XCO3CO
But this requires a steam consumption of 6-7000mB/t to really be at optimal efficiency. In your case(one turbine only) it would have to run with +76% control rod in which case the reactor gets too cold to be efficient.
You would have to build a smaller reactor to try and get it hotter(towards the optimum temperature of 1000C) with just one turbine, but limitations in the mod rather prevents that. Therefore I would suggest at least 2-3 Turbines for any reactor.

3. Turbine
The way the turbine is built determines its mB/t usage at which RPMs. So if you want to match a Reactor with your Turbine(s), then it is important to choose the right design for your Turbines.
Specially since is VITAL that your Turbine runs stable at either 900 or 1800 RPM as it will produce MUCH more power at these values.
I don't see any mention of the stats of your turbine or which materials you are using, but this spreadsheet will give you a list of stable builds/settings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TUxOUGxMRlpERWtPMmtGT213bmc&usp=sharing#gid=1

4. Preventing Steam buildup in reactor
One of the things that causes the most heat buildup in a actively cooled reactor is when the steam buffer fills up. This is what I do to prevent it:
Once you have built your turbines, set the mB/t to the precise amount found in the list I posted(or value you know from elsewhere). Now slowly increase the Control Rod in the reactor point by point until you find the exact point where the buffer starts emptying out. At this point the reactor no longer produces enough steam, so reduce the Control Rod back one point again. Now go to the turbines and increase the mB/t by 20-30 points or so. This should increase the RPM to slightly over the 900/1800(which is actually also what many suggest) and empty the Steam buffer out.
I like using this CC script(with its automation set to disabled) to modify the Control rods as it allows for 1% interval adjustments as well as easier overview:
https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control

Oh and btw: No wonder that reactor is running hot. With that internal setup and only extracting 2000mB/t, it should be set to 83% control rod :p

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
1: Water/steam
The whole point of using 2x Tesseracts is having one channel for steam and one channel for water and thereby recycling the water from the turbine back into the reactor. The Fluid Ports on both Reactor and Turbine can be set to both Input and Output to match this. This saves the MASSIVE lag monster of Transfer Nodes that you have created. Reuse the water and you can use a single non-upgraded Transfer Node or a Aqueous Accumulator to fill the water network initially.

2: The reactor setup
Your internal reactor setup looks to be very poorly optimized. And it is a VERY large reactor for a single turbine.
Something more optimal for a reactor of the size you have there would be something like this:
http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...olRodInsertion=21&layout=O3COC3X2C3X2C3XCO3CO
But this requires a steam consumption of 6-7000mB/t to really be at optimal efficiency. In your case(one turbine only) it would have to run with +76% control rod in which case the reactor gets too cold to be efficient.
You would have to build a smaller reactor to try and get it hotter(towards the optimum temperature of 1000C) with just one turbine, but limitations in the mod rather prevents that. Therefore I would suggest at least 2-3 Turbines for any reactor.

3. Turbine
The way the turbine is built determines its mB/t usage at which RPMs. So if you want to match a Reactor with your Turbine(s), then it is important to choose the right design for your Turbines.
Specially since is VITAL that your Turbine runs stable at either 900 or 1800 RPM as it will produce MUCH more power at these values.
I don't see any mention of the stats of your turbine or which materials you are using, but this spreadsheet will give you a list of stable builds/settings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TUxOUGxMRlpERWtPMmtGT213bmc&usp=sharing#gid=1

4. Preventing Steam buildup in reactor
One of the things that causes the most heat buildup in a actively cooled reactor is when the steam buffer fills up. This is what I do to prevent it:
Once you have built your turbines, set the mB/t to the precise amount found in the list I posted(or value you know from elsewhere). Now slowly increase the Control Rod in the reactor point by point until you find the exact point where the buffer starts emptying out. At this point the reactor no longer produces enough steam, so reduce the Control Rod back one point again. Now go to the turbines and increase the mB/t by 20-30 points or so. This should increase the RPM to slightly over the 900/1800(which is actually also what many suggest) and empty the Steam buffer out.
I like using this CC script(with its automation set to disabled) to modify the Control rods as it allows for 1% interval adjustments as well as easier overview:
https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control

Oh and btw: No wonder that reactor is running hot. With that internal setup and only extracting 2000mB/t, it should be set to 83% control rod :p
Wow thanks I will defiantly try to tweak it out :) The big reactor was made some time ago, I did not realize the sizes between them mattered so much and I will be making more turbines :) So since I already have the steam needed in there I should take the crazy node thing I have and not run that anymore? Just close the loops with the tessaracts and it will be ok then? I will test that all out here soon and see what happens. Thank you very much for your long response and the time you took to reply very much appreciated :)
Also in the video it shows the stats and stuff. I am also using the enderium blocks for the coils I have I think 30 something of them.