What exactly does gregtech change (besides recipes)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
So right not I'm trying to decide if I should install gregtech to my direwolf20 world. I understand that gregtech changes a lot of IC2 recipes, and I hope I dont get killed for saying this but some of them are overly ridiculous. However I would use it to make IC2 more exciting and fun so thats not too much of a problem. I know it changes some recipes from vanilla (which I will probably change back if I can) and some other mods like forestry and I have heard rumors that it changes RP recipes as well, but I feel like eloraam would kill GregT in his sleep if he actually did. I also understand that he thinks some things are "too over powered" so you can't even change them back in configs. So I was wondering if someone could tell me all the non ic2 stuff that it changes (unless it like makes random stuff explode that I don't know about, which I think is another rumor I heard.) and if you can turn it off in the configs

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
So right not I'm trying to decide if I should install gregtech to my direwolf20 world. I understand that gregtech changes a lot of IC2 recipes, and I hope I dont get killed for saying this but some of them are overly ridiculous. However I would use it to make IC2 more exciting and fun so thats not too much of a problem. I know it changes some recipes from vanilla (which I will probably change back if I can) and some other mods like forestry and I have heard rumors that it changes RP recipes as well, but I feel like eloraam would kill GregT in his sleep if he actually did. I also understand that he thinks some things are "too over powered" so you can't even change them back in configs. So I was wondering if someone could tell me all the non ic2 stuff that it changes (unless it like makes random stuff explode that I don't know about, which I think is another rumor I heard.) and if you can turn it off in the configs
Yes his machines will explode if they Recieving too much power. As for non ic2 recipes? He needs bronze which is kind of ic2 but more foresty. Most of the stuff he nerfs is ic2 like Solars and qsuit and mixed ingots etc.
His mod BY changing ic2 recipes also requires you to craft other mods things like the rolling machine and most likely an electrical engine to go along with it. So yea hope this helps I would definitely reccomend trying it out it prolongs the game which for me is more fun

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Yes his machines will explode if they Recieving too much power. As for non ic2 recipes? He needs bronze which is kind of ic2 but more foresty. Most of the stuff he nerfs is ic2 like Solars and qsuit and mixed ingots etc.
His mod BY changing ic2 recipes also requires you to craft other mods things like the rolling machine and most likely an electrical engine to go along with it. So yea hope this helps I would definitely reccomend trying it out it prolongs the game which for me is more fun

I dont have a problem with it prolonging my game, i'm mostly concerned about it not letting me do certain things at all. like for example automation of certain stuff. Also its a sandbox so i'm not too sure what you even mean by "prolonging my game"

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
I dont have a problem with it prolonging my game, i'm mostly concerned about it not letting me do certain things at all. like for example automation of certain stuff. Also its a sandbox so i'm not too sure what you even mean by "prolonging my game"
Instead of taking a couple weeks to make quantum armor it will
Probably take closer to a month or more.

Reactions: Dravarden

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of taking a couple weeks to make quantum armor it will
Probably take closer to a month or more.
Not too big of a deal. but its not like its game over when you get a quantum suit, the quantum suit is just a tool that makes even cooler projects possible.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It also adds a TON of various chemicals and such to the game: lithium, hydrogen, deuterium, tritium, the list goes on. Its like getting a chemistry set, in a way, and the results are almost always, in some way, -very- useful. For example, Lithium is very useful for running liquid-fueled boilers.

GregTech is probably the most configurable mod for Minecraft, its certainly got a more gigantic amount of options than I've seen in pretty much any mod. The Forestry bronze nerf? You can turn that off. Requiring compressors and macerators to work with ingot storage blocks? Totally configurable.

Out of the box, GregTech can be a bit annoying with the amount of things it changes, but with some configuration, it can become incredibly handy, and downright fun to play with. One of these days, I plan on filling (legitimately) a 12x12x12 Xycraft tank with mercury. Why? Because awesome, that's why.

Now, if there were a way to merge GregTech mercury and ThaumCraft quicksilver, which are literally the exact same thing, we'd really be cookin with gas! Or, in this case, a highly toxic metal.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
It also adds a TON of various chemicals and such to the game: lithium, hydrogen, deuterium, tritium, the list goes on. Its like getting a chemistry set, in a way, and the results are almost always, in some way, -very- useful. For example, Lithium is very useful for running liquid-fueled boilers.

GregTech is probably the most configurable mod for Minecraft, its certainly got a more gigantic amount of options than I've seen in pretty much any mod. The Forestry bronze nerf? You can turn that off. Requiring compressors and macerators to work with ingot storage blocks? Totally configurable.

Out of the box, GregTech can be a bit annoying with the amount of things it changes, but with some configuration, it can become incredibly handy, and downright fun to play with. One of these days, I plan on filling (legitimately) a 12x12x12 Xycraft tank with mercury. Why? Because awesome, that's why.

It does look pretty cool, and yes it is configurable, right now i'm trying to figure out what I need to configure (and make sure its possible)

Reactions: RavynousHunter

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
It does look pretty cool, and yes it is configurable, right now i'm trying to figure out what I need to configure (and make sure its possible)
All depends on your playing style and how hard you want it. Try talking to velotican but really the configs are pretty simple

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

I suggest you take a look in the RecipesAdvancedConfig.cfg file, and go thru the storage block sections. Also, GregTech.cfg, search for "B:explosions_on_nonwrenching." That section there houses all the conditions under which GT machines will blow right the hell up.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest you take a look in the RecipesAdvancedConfig.cfg file, and go thru the storage block sections. Also, GregTech.cfg, search for "B:explosions_on_nonwrenching." That section there houses all the conditions under which GT machines will blow right the hell up.

Ok, ill look into somtime. The main reason I switched to the direwolf pack was to avoid configs :p but I guess I was due for it sometime[DOUBLEPOST=1363923260][/DOUBLEPOST]
All depends on your playing style and how hard you want it. Try talking to velotican but really the configs are pretty simple
Basically I just dont want it messing with vanilla or other mods. Or just destroying my world.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, ill look into somtime. The main reason I switched to the direwolf pack was to avoid configs :p but I guess I was due for it sometime[DOUBLEPOST=1363923260][/DOUBLEPOST]
Basically I just dont want it messing with vanilla or other mods. Or just destroying my world.

Nah, it won't destroy your world, and the changes are mostly limited to recipe alterations.

Also, been chewing on a program to make configuring mods a bit...easier. Forge mods seem to have a fairly cohesive config structure, just need to figure out the best way to read em into a program.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Good thing I have mystcraft :D also do you know GT rubies and sapphires are enabled in the FTB config if they drop the RP versions?
If unificators are enabled... But I think the new gregtech disabled RedPower ore gen as it messed with his whole ruby/sapphire rarity...

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
If unificators are enabled... But I think the new gregtech disabled RedPower ore gen as it messed with his whole ruby/sapphire rarity...
I can confirm that RP gems do spawn with gregtech. GT rubies/sapphires actually drop the RP gems which is interesting

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech is like a hall of mirrors and velcro. Reflects the everloving shit out of a ton of mods and ties it all together (like velcro... geddit?) but gives you the configs so that you can tear that velcro apart again real easy.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Exploding machines aren't new to Gregtech. However, there are configurable options to cause them to be flamable, explode when on fire, explode when wet, and best of all, send power surges through your cables to explode other machines if you have them hooked up unwisely :D

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that gregtech changes a lot of IC2 recipes, and I hope I dont get killed for saying this but

Might wanna start running now.

Seriously though, I think you should definitely install the mod. It adds an absolute ton of content to IC2, and it'll keep you occupied for 7 days straight just rushing through it. And besides you can fix-I mean, change all the good, balanced settings in the config files exactly how you want.

JPandaGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech adds a ton of automization options, plenty of new ores and chemicals, and gives you a lot to do if you have extrabees.
Personally, I love it
It's annoying, how it changes a lot of things, but mostly I feel it's for the better