What can I do with "oil sand"?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I'm using the Mindcrack FTB modpack that was recently released, and in worlds generated by this modpack, I'm finding a sand block with oil spots in it, when mined with a shovel it says "oil sand".

There is a recipe that makes a machine called a "distil" which uses this block but since it requires 8 refined iron per block of "oil sand" per "distil" I'm not sure if I'd want to make more than a small amount of these items. I'm not even sure whether it's compatible with Buildcraft or IndustrialCraft power units, if it needs power.

If anyone knows what I can do with oil sand, and which machines are best to work with the product that comes from a distil, please let me know! Also, if you are a wiki editor or have proper knowledge of how to create and edit wiki articles, please put this information in the relevant section on the FTB wiki.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
A Distill block accepts fuel and oil sand and generates Diesel, which if you know about cars/trains, is a fuel source for transportation.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
A Distill block accepts fuel and oil sand and generates Diesel, which if you know about cars/trains, is a fuel source for transportation.
What kind of fuel does it accept? Does the diesel require an output pipe to draw off or could I sit a distil next to a holding tank and it would automatically fill this tank? Can any engines be run from this diesel, for example, can it be used in a biogas or combustion engine?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Traincraft has very limited compatibility with other mods beyond basic railcraft and ic2 use for loaders/unloaders and IC2 fuels/batteries. So unless your planing on using the trains then the oil sand/crude oil is useless to you. Also note that it is only used to fuel the diesel locomotives so even in traincraft it has limited uses beyond being a dedicated resource for trains. Which don't get me wrong is good as the 2 other alternatives are coal + water for the steam locomotives or redstone dust and ic2 batteries for the electric ones. In addition you can use IC2 power directly to fuel the electric trains via the other head lines.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Traincraft very limited compatibility with other mods beyond basic railcraft and ic2 use for loaders/unloaders and IC2 fuels/batteries. So unless your planing on using the trains then the oil sand/crude oil is useless to you. Also note that it is only used to fuel the diesel locomotives so even in traincraft it has limited uses beyond being a dedicated resource for trains. Which don't get me wrong is good as the 2 other alternatives are coal + water for the steam locomotives or redstone dust and ic2 batteries for the electric ones. In addition you can use IC2 power directly to fuel the electric trains via the other head lines.

Okay, thanks! I'll probably just store all of this oil in a chest until I can invent an excuse to actually do something with it! :D I think if FTB tweak this modpack they should at least have a converter addition that would make the fuel compatible with the other mods. Not that it matters much, I haven't really seen a great heap of this particular resource, and early on I'm more interested in getting machinery set up for Buildcraft and IC2 anyway.

Thanks to all who replied!

Cheers ...

BrickVoid