Well... it was bound to happen, Greg is nerfing base IC2

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
So is this meant to fix the whole 'scaffolds give more EU than their components' thing? Because it seems like a better course of action would to make scaffolds a) not burn or b) have a lower burn value. I've heard than Minecraft isn't the best code ever, but I never thought in would be that hard remove an interface or change a field. I mean, if it were that trivial, Greg would of done it instead of attacking the actual purpose of scaffolding.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
So, less scaffolding per craft? So what? You'll use more wood. Am I missing something important here, because this really seems like a trivial thing to complain about. Maybe even petty.

Reactions: Tzukasa and YX33A

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
When Greg first joined the IC2 team it was with the assurances that he would only be joining to fix thing, clean up code, but not make any content changes. Not change IC2 into Gregtech basically... thats exactly what he's done here, made base IC2 mirror his own mod in this, admittedly small, regard.
If someone is burning scaffolds for fuel so f-ing what.. to automate the process you need to set up at the very least 2 automatic crafting setups, and if you don't want them burning, make it so they don't f-ing burn! It's got precicely nothing to do with minecraft code, wooden gears are made from wood and they don't bloody burn so whats the big problem with scaffolds..?
And please don't call me a troll again, I'd really appreciate that, thanks.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
As silly as the initial assertion is here, I kind of agree that the better solution was to remove them as a valid fuel. But, it's wood either way. You can't seriously get upset over this.

And frankly, Greg isn't a bad guy. The only single complaint I can really have is that his mod is an IC2 extension. It'd be an amazing standalone.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
When Greg first joined the IC2 team it was with the assurances that he would only be joining to fix thing, clean up code, but not make any content changes. Not change IC2 into Gregtech basically... thats exactly what he's done here, made base IC2 mirror his own mod in this, admittedly small, regard.
If someone is burning scaffolds for fuel so f-ing what.. to automate the process you need to set up at the very least 2 automatic crafting setups, and if you don't want them burning, make it so they don't f-ing burn! It's got precicely nothing to do with minecraft code, wooden gears are made from wood and they don't bloody burn so whats the big problem with scaffolds..?
And please don't call me a troll again, I'd really appreciate that, thanks.

The vast majority of changes are from player, not Greg.

As silly as the initial assertion is here, I kind of agree that the better solution was to remove them as a valid fuel. But, it's wood either way. You can't seriously get upset over this.

And frankly, Greg isn't a bad guy. The only single complaint I can really have is that his mod is an IC2 extension. It'd be an amazing standalone.

I've always wanted Gregtech to move away from an IC2 add-on and become a Total Conversion Mod. Personally, I think less people would have an issue with him "tampering" with other mods if Greg labeled Gregtech this way instead.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
The vast majority of changes are from player, not Greg.

I've always wanted Gregtech to move away from an IC2 add-on and become a Total Conversion Mod. Personally, I think less people would have an issue with him "tampering" with other mods if Greg labeled Gregtech this way instead.

The problem is he needs his own power system and right now he's not offering one. I'd like him to move to RF personally or UE as I use those power systems (selfish, no?).

Note: This is my problem, I don't know if it's his.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure this would annoy me greatly if I hadn't already decided IC2 was no longer worth the hassle. And if I ever actually bothered using wooden scaffolds for anything, which I never saw much reason to do when dirt is free and does the job.

Reactions: RedBoss

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure this would annoy me greatly if I hadn't already decided IC2 was no longer worth the hassle. And if I ever actually bothered using wooden scaffolds for anything, which I never saw much reason to do when dirt is free and does the job.

I always used them in builds.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is he needs his own power system and right now he's not offering one. I'd like him to move to RF personally or UE as I use those power systems (selfish, no?).

Note: This is my problem, I don't know if it's his.

And how would him switching to RF or UE be any different than his current use of EU?

Scaffolds are nice for building without a jetpack as they can be deployed from the bottom, act as ladders on all sides, and the entire stack can be removed from the bottom. Once dirt gains that ability then I'll admit no further use for scaffolds.

That being said, I'm on the edge on IC2 as well. But my hesitation is more on the direction Player wants, not on anything Greg-related.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
And how would him switching to RF or UE be any different than his current use of EU?

I'm not sure, but I think you missed this:
(selfish, no?)

I use RF and therefore I use UE compatible power. Therefore I'd have a reason to use GregTech. I'm only thinking of my benefit. But I'm not sure whether RF mods require COFH Core as a base or not, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure, but I think you missed this:

Use RF and therefore I use UE compatible power. Therefore I'd have a reason to use GregTech. I'm only thinking of my benefit. But I'm not sure whether RF mods require COFH Core as a base or not, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nah. Didn't miss it. Just wondering if it was anything aside from that.

I do wonder, though, the net effect on IC2 were GregTech to switch to RF instead of EU. I wonder if it would be like what's seemed to happen to BuildCraft and MJ since RF's arrival.

well that's not any surprise, anyone with a functioning cortex likes RF ;)

It's neat, clean, efficient, lightweight, and doesn't force an operational paradigm on you. What's not to love?

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
From everything I know, Greg actually really likes RF. Sooo there's that. ;)
He wouldn't be able to go anywhere with it though, well ... maybe? Although what is really not to like about such a lightweight system; others may see something that they like that is different but not many people would hate RF.
A. It would either require him to hack TE (at the very least CoFH), this would ... not end well ;)
B. Or it would require something on your part...