Welcome to JohnCo (TM)! (Ultimate 1.1.2 SSP)

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys! For several months I've been working on an Ultimate 1.1.2 SSP world, which I started when the Ultimate pack was first released. Given that Ultimate is becoming more and more out of date, I decided I really ought to be showing off the fruits of my labor before I get really motivated to move on to 1.5.2 or the eventual 1.6 packs. (EDIT: If the thumbnails below aren't showing, let me know and I'll replace them with links. I don't know if it's because of my internet connection, imageshack being weird, or what. either way if they don't show, the links to the images still work.)

So, without further ado, welcome to JohnCo (TM), where we have almost enough aluminum (aluminium, fine, whatever) to start building with it, and aesthetics are secondary!

Here at JohnCo (TM) we really like our bees.

We also really like automating pilfering the fruits of our bees labor for our own ends.

Here's a somewhat uninformative screenshot of our factory floor here at JohnCo (TM)

Now, you may have noticed, hey look, golems! Yes, here at JohnCo (TM), we provide a safe working environment for all our golem-american workers, free of lightning.

For a more in-depth but also very quick peek at how golems pretty much run the show here at JohnCo (TM), take a look here at this official JohnCo (TM) promotional video!

(Some notes: Some of these screenshots are somewhat out of date. More recent JohnCo (TM) renovations can be seen in the video)

Lemme know what you guys think! I'll probably be posting some screenshots and maybe video illustrating how my 6 forestry multifarms, alvearies, forestry, thermal expansion, thaumcraft, and IC2/Gregtech stuff all works in harmony to create a system that satisfies my overwhelming urge for there to never be overflow and to be largely balanced with all its components.

For those curious our total EU production is somewhere around 1000 EU/T (with half the infrastructure in place purely to power the matter fabricator, and the rest to power the machines, except when the matter fabricator is running), and our total MJ production is around 110 MJ/T (16 biogas engines, 2 industrial steam engines, 8 peat-fired engines running on bituminous peat)

edit: replaced broken thumbnailed screenshots with newer ones that actually work!

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
nice little video tour. The base itself looks like more function than form, but achieving a high level of automation makes it pretty nice. I've been on my world for a couple months now (since 1.5.2 came out), and just starting to really automate it.

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! I'd have more for today, but I've been attempting to do a little bit of FPS-drop hunting. One of the southern chunks in my workshop (since I built it around chunk lines for the purpose of keeping it loaded) causes me to drop from 30-40 to 20 FPS (as you can see I typically play on 32x or 64x texture packs and on fairly fancy settings, except for smooth lighting, which actually only causes me to drop by like 2-5 frames...). Somehow, more FPS lag than being around all the alvearies with their constant particles everywhere 24/7. It's hardly what I'd call unplayable but I notice it.

Removing 32 (biomass) engines (half use seed oil and the rest biomass. I needed to have seed-oil engines so I could produce mulch from walnuts or chestnuts at a rate that didn't overproduce for my peat bogs...more on that later :D ) and putting them in a chunk-loaded area about 6 chunks (that distance from the workshop in any direction is kinda the tipping point) further south didn't seem to help so...hrm.

I then suspected certain forestry trees doing block updates on their leaves (in this case, my walnut and apple orchards) might be the cause, since a while back I planted a whole bunch of cherry trees for decoration, and I had a lot of FPS lag as the cherries ripened, but that doesn't seem to be the cause either.

Either way, with moving stuff out of and off of the factory I have more space to pretty things up, so that's a plus!

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have any factorization machines? Some of those had horrible rendering issues on the client causing much lag. I had that problem, and I thought it was my steam oven, but the lag disappeared when I removed the crystalizer.

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
Well I had to take a peek at the wiki just to be sure it was anything but barrels, but no, the only thing from factorization I have are barrels, and not a crazy bonkers amount, nor are they concentrated in the area where my frames drop.

Never really used a ton since using perceptive or advanced golems with them was a little weird since they only hold one kind of item.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anything in that area that makes noise some of the more severe framerate drops I've had were due to sound (in my case specifically RC steam engines) this isn't actually Coverts issue it's a base Minecraft or rather a LWJGL issue, the one that Minecraft uses is less than optimal at sound. I have tried a couple of other LWJGL versions some of the later ones outright crash MC and the earlier ones don't seem to do much.

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
Hrrm. That sounds plausible. If I'm not mistaken the things in the area that make sounds are A. the constant operation of forestry tree farms (at this point just the arboretum), B. all them golems idling and making their delightful clinking noises, and C. Golems opening and closing chests. Pretty sure none of the machines I use make sounds in this version of FTB.

Can't believe I didn't even think of that, since I was sorta kinda vaguely aware of the issue with sounds in MC.

Looks like I'm going to have to take a bunch of reference screenies, remove the little guys, and see how things get effected.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Another possibility is if you have a lot of golems in the area would be to check for any major pathfinding obstructions or even a single golem pathing oddly as that can cause a fair amount of slowdown. In my 1.4.7 world I had a golem that pathed across my entire base through the spaghetti mess of pipes\tubes\machines when I put him down next to a machine I wanted him to keep stocked, put him down before I put down his supply chest and the little bugger pathed over to my storage area about 25-30 blocks away to get the item I wanted him to keep stocked. That caused a fairly major amount of slowdown, extreme case true but the pathfinding abilities impressed the hell out of me even though it caused my computer to struggle a bit.

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
That's another fair point, since I often have 4 or 5 in close proximity they often even have to deal with pathing around each other (another problem being managing markers. Noticed one of my dudes just sitting and staring blankly in the middle of the room once, noticed then he was trying to deposit some peat in a chest on the roof...quickly resolved by moving the marker/chest one block to the left). However, the area's chunkloaded, and the golems are doing their pathfinding business when I'm not around. Were that causing a big problem, I imagine I'd be experiencing more things like block lag (asides from the visual problems with optifine and buildcraft pipes in this version) rather than a localized drop in FPS.

Usually, however, golem pathfinding being all weird just renders itself as the guy jumping up and down in place for like 5 seconds whether or not he has to jump up a block.

...God, the stupid, stupid, stupid lessons I learn from the hours (not counting the ones where I'm waiting for Sodium Persulfate to finish) I poured into this world.