Weirdness on MJ power network.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've got a couple extrabees machines running, and as anybody knows who have used these machines they suck up a lot of power. In fact, the two I'm using right now can accept 75MJ/t for one and 100MJ/t for the other. In both cases, the machines claim to be able to accept more power than they actually use per tick, so the storage bar should remain maxed even in operation.

My power network is massively over designed and actually has this as excess capability.

Except the machines don't receive that amount of energy. In fact, they're really getting some very small amount of MJ per visual update, which is more than a tick. This number is a guess, as the machine I'm looking at uses 50MJ/t, and the indicator will climb to 5, 10, or 15, then down to zero.

If I slap a redpower storage right next to the machines (in addition to the normal power feed, which is coming in from below) they operate as one would expect with a tremendous amount of power. When that storage goes to zero, I can put the storage back up for charging - which happens to be on the same "arm" of redstone conduit, further down - and they charge at their normal very fast speed by receiving 100MJ/t, each for two of them, so I don't think it's either distance or overall conduit network size causing it.

The potential reasons that occurred to me, and why I don't think they apply:

The network is out of power - I don't think this is true, because of the speed the redstone storage cells charge
The extrabees machines arn't accepting that amount of power - They do, when the redstone storage cell is directly next to them.

I've had similar issues with magmetic engines used to power liquid transposers. Direct connection means the engine will freeze at some point, as everybody already knows. Using a single piece of conduit stops the freezing, but also means the machines get 2 or 3MJ/t, read by the information tab on the transposer, even though the engine claims to be outputting 4MJ. However, putting a magmetic engine directly next to an energy cell, and then have that cell power the transposer means that the engine runs at full speed and the transposer also receives 4MJ. It doesn't matter if the energy cell is empty or full, except that if its empty it won't really build up a charge - there's nothing extra, as it all goes to the transposer.

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
Did you check the energy cells to make sure they were outputting the maximum MJ/T, I did that when I first started extra bees :p

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I have not had a chance to check out other machines from the extra bees mod but I do know that the acclimatiser had an issue where it would use only 3MJ per second instead of 3MJ per tick, changes were made and the machine seems to operate appropriately I'm not sure if Binnie changed the way he was using the buildcraft API or whatever but that specific machine works fine now (and allows a higher max input). Not sure if the other machines were changed as a result of this. If you do notice a specific problem with a particular mod and can recreate it 100% of the time then I suggest submitting a bug report on the Extrabees issues tracker. Binnie is pretty good about getting bugs taken care of fairly quickly if you report them on the tracker.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Did you check the energy cells to make sure they were outputting the maximum MJ/T, I did that when I first started extra bees :p

When using the cells, the machines operate properly, it's when not using them that they don't work even though the conduit network has more than enough surplus power - in fact its the same network that's charging the energy cells.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
The solution I came up with works, flawlessly, but should be theoretically unnecessary

2013-01-28_19.07.52.png

The redstone energy cells remain at full charge, and the machines run at top speed (with a full buffer)

Theoretically I should be able to remove the energy cells, but if I do that the machines grind very slowly, receiving an insufficient amount of power.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
That is strange. My bee lab has its own power network, and I haven't seen these issues. I only recently started working with the extrabees machines, so that network is underprovisioned with generation capacity compared to their voracious appetites, but if everything has been idle for a while (so I have power stored up), the machines will stay pegged at or near full energy while operating until I run out of stored energy in my backup supply (which is not directly adjacent to the machines). The only thing I see that might explain it is that the way my lab is laid out, each machine is connected to a different piece of energy conduit. Maybe each energy conduit section has a max output/t to share with all connected machines, and with two machines connected to the same conduit section it's splitting the capacity between them?