Weebler Storage (Touch-Based, Modular, Distributed, Wireless) - Eat your heart out GUUDE.

Horace Weebler

Jul 29, 2019
V1.0 Release (Beta)

The Weebler Storage is a collection of 3 different computer programs that allow you to easily set up a highly expandable storage system. This system includes a touch screen user interface and wireless communication between nodes. Items are dynamically added to the screen and counts are updated as items come in/leave.

It has taken me months to complete this project as I work full time and attend grad school. I've seen the storage system that Guude came up with and I thought it was a great idea. However, this system may be easily deployed on your server and does not require any knowledge of mysql, etc. You just execute the instructions below and have a fully working, highly scalable, storage solution.

Storage system in action:

Video 1: General

Video 2: Few other things to mention

Pictures
jcwe9Fm.png

CftetkW.png

AFIR6IJ.png

jAskhjm.png

1D8SVgi.png

2nHbLsR.png

ocEUAao.png

Cluster Features:
A cluster is comprised of 1 computer, an interactive sorter and as many barrels as you can manage to attach. My example cluster includes 3 barrels as that allowed me to route pipes going in and out.

• Communicates wirelessly using flexible “Weebler” protocol over rednet.
  • Accepts requests to extract selectable amounts of resources
  • Easy to setup as it auto-learns the location of a modem, barrels, etc.
  • “Self learns” Contents of Barrels/Chests.
Sorter Features:
The sorter pulls items out a chest and adds to their count as it sends them to your clusters. The sorter also deducts from the counts when items are requested. The sorter keeps a flat-file database of the items presently within the system.
  • Counts incoming items and deducts as items are outgoing from the clusters.
  • Stores a simple flat-file database of the items within the system.
  • Stores a simple flat-file database of the clusters “discovered.”
  • Pulls items from an adjacent chest (on any side) and sends them “up” for processing.
User Interface:

The UI is highly flexible and can drive multiple monitors from one computer. The UI is touch-enabled and very easy to operate. The minimum screen size it handles at the moment is 4x4. To have two columns worth of items listed you need at least a 6x4.
  • Uses advanced monitors as giant touch screens.
  • Can drive any number of monitors connected to the sides of the executing computer.
  • Simple item selection, amount and “send” button.
  • Lists items/resources in “pages” that are easily navigated forward and backwards
  • Provides a positive/negative response when requesting items
  • Provides a list of clusters and their online status.
SETUP INSTRUCTIONS:
*Watch the videos above.
Materials Required: 3 computers, at least 1 barrel (or chests) and advanced computer monitors (8 for example) and most importantly, at least 2 interactive sorters.

SORTER setup:
You need just 1 of these to process incoming items.
1. Place an interactive sorter and a computer attached to it (w/ a modem on any side).
2. Place a chest on one side of the interactive sorter which will act as an input.
3. Have a pipe extending from the top of the the interactive sorter (the output after an item is counted).
4. On the computer execute: pastebin get XNLfQfMq startup
5. Then reboot by holding CTRL+R, or type startup

CLUSTER setup:
You can have any number of clusters in the system and it will dynamically learn the contents of the barrels/storage attached to the cluster.
1. Place an interactive sorter and a computer attached to it (w/ a modem on the right, left or bottom sides, your choice)
2. Place barrels/chests next to the free sides of the interactive sorter
3. Add pipes to allow items to enter the chests. I use the top and prefer diamond pipes.
4. Add a pipe to the bottom of the interactive sorter, this is the output when a request comes in.
5. Add items to the chests/barrels.
6. LABEL the computer as that name appears in the user interface (e.g., label set Iron Cluster)
7. On the computer execute: pastebin get CcywzaQH startup

User Interface setup:
You can have any number of touch screen interface setups. In fact, one computer will drive any number of connected touch screen monitors.
1. Place a computer next to a large advanced monitor array. I generally prefer a minimum of a 4x4, its up to you.
2. Attach a modem to a free side of the computer.
3. On the computer execute: pastebin get LrcT3j1d startupCREDITS:

Credits
The UI was inspired, in part, by bored2kGER

And, the idea to even make this system was a result of watching Guude.

The auto-update code is from Henness: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/1125-advanced-programs-orefinder-tunnel/

Horace Weebler

Jul 29, 2019
NOTES:
At this time the system assumes you have 1 barrel to store each type of item. If you place the same items into two barrels it will still work, but funky. For example, if two barrels have cobble stone, then if you request just 1 it will end up sending 2 as both barrels get the request. In the very near future I will fix that so it doesn't matter.

There is NO external database needed. The user interface downloads a file from github called 'idlookup' that has some predefined id and strings I assigned. You need to add your own into that file as I'm not sure if the item ids change with the seed. If you don't assign a name to the ID the items appear as 'Unknown ID (XXX)' to let you know you need to fix them. Its easy enough to do, but just letting you know.

Barrels have a limitation where the interactive sorter cannot query to see how many items it actually has. The best it can do is tell you it has a stack, or some number less than a full stack. This causes problems if you add/remove items by hand in the barrels. You can fix the counts manually, if you want, or just live with it. I suggest NO touching the barrels to avoid messing up the counts. However, its not the end of the world.

CREDITS: The only code I did not write was the auto-update code from the Advance Ore Finder dude.

computerdude5000

Jul 29, 2019
this is great I've been waiting for Guude's system to come out but and I hate to say it as much as I love watching Guude's videos yours does look a lot better

San

Jul 29, 2019
Or i could just build an ME system
*Poker face*
Or you could just do it yourself and stop sucking.

-awesomeness-
That is quite impressive. I think if I were to build this I would add a lot more clusters. It would be super useful for my scrap processing factory, that's for sure. Being able to hide it behind a wall or underground is a big bonus.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
*Mindless hate*

Somebody's got a stick up his butt ten feet long if i don't say so myself
I just said that an ME system will do the same thing
If less fancily mind you
AQy0gHF.png

For instance you could explain why the bloody hell i shouldn't just use an ME system,
Instead of just calling me stupid, It's not like you could explain it or anything,
No that would be asking too much oh great one wouldn't it?

Reactions: Riuga and Eyamaz

Horace Weebler

Jul 29, 2019
Somebody's got a stick up his butt ten feet long if i don't say so myself
I just said that an ME system will do the same thing
If less fancily mind you
AQy0gHF.png

For instance you could explain why the bloody hell i shouldn't just use an ME system,
Instead of just calling me stupid, It's not like you could explain it or anything,
No that would be asking too much oh great one wouldn't it?

A few reasons why I don't find ME's attractive. 1. they take a lot to make. I know I use a lot of interactive sorter's in my build, but at least they are quick to make (albeit an expensive block). 2. No giant UI screen that lets me request resources. 3. Scaling up requires consideration of how many types of items the ME can store. 4. ME's require power. My design uses zero power. 5. Computercaft > than Applied Energistics.

And the HUGEST reason of all. I don't believe Applied Energistics exists on the Mindcrack flavor of FTB. I use mindcrack.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
A few reasons why I don't find ME's attractive. 1. they take a lot to make. I know I use a lot of interactive sorter's in my build, but at least they are quick to make (albeit an expensive block). 2. No giant UI screen that lets me request resources. 3. Scaling up requires consideration of how many types of items the ME can store. 4. ME's require power. My design uses zero power. 5. Computercaft > than Applied Energistics.

And the HUGEST reason of all. I don't believe Applied Energistics exists on the Mindcrack flavor of FTB. I use mindcrack.

And that's how you correct someone without being an asshole like these other two gentlemen
1. Well there's that, But if it was cheap it would be outrageously overpowered and we would have every single person who plays the game bitching about how OP it is
2. You can search items in an ME interface
3. Meh, if you're at the teir where you can make Me systems, you can make a damn good one
4. At a cerian point, Basic power isn't a problem, My small ME consumes like, 32 Eu
5. Arguable as fuck, i've had a hell of a time just making CC automate an industry grinder

Reactions: prey2112

San

Jul 29, 2019
And that's how you correct someone without being an asshole like these other two gentlemen
Point taken. I just didn't appreciate your first post because it kind of undermined the value of this guy's build. Perhaps I could have chosen my words a little more carefully.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Point taken. I just didn't appreciate your first post because it kind of undermined the value of this guy's build. Perhaps I could have chosen my words a little more carefully.

oh my no, I believe it's very nice, But i'm on ultimate and an ME system is just more convenient

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Explanation:

This is the Community Showcase subforum. That means, everything in here is something you are proud of, enough to share it with others. In this specific case, it's a clever combination of (at least) Redpower2, ComputerCraft and Factorization. In the op, Weebler stated that it took him quite some time to create this whole thing. It IS an extremely impressive system, especially when taking into account the fact that there are INDEED more lazy methods to achieve the same goal.

You replied with "Use AE." which really was not the brightest of all possible replies. At the very least, you could've acknowledged the time, effort and brainwork that went into this selfmade system, yet you preferred to throw a one liner as some sort of witty remark at Weebler. And that, Madame from the Wikiteam who likes to call other members assholes, is something, that even a cat can recognize as "stupid", when the topic at hand could not be further away from "share your most convenient, laziest and lowcost contraptions".

In case you need further detailing why your first post was 100% unnecessary, drop me a PM.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Explanation:

This is the Community Showcase subforum. That means, everything in here is something you are proud of, enough to share it with others. In this specific case, it's a clever combination of (at least) Redpower2, ComputerCraft and Factorization. In the op, Weebler stated that it took him quite some time to create this whole thing. It IS an extremely impressive system, especially when taking into account the fact that there are INDEED more lazy methods to achieve the same goal.

You replied with "Use AE." which really was not the brightest of all possible replies. At the very least, you could've acknowledged the time, effort and brainwork that went into this selfmade system, yet you preferred to throw a one liner as some sort of witty remark at Weebler. And that, Madame from the Wikiteam who likes to call other members assholes, is something, that even a cat can recognize as "stupid", when the topic at hand could not be further away from "share your most convenient, laziest and lowcost contraptions".

In case you need further detailing why your first post was 100% unnecessary, drop me a PM.

Afterwards i did acknowledge that it is very nice, AE suits my purposes better then this is all,
Yes it IS an impressive machine
I might not have realised it at the time,
But insulting me makes it harder to de-escalate the situation and gives me a desire more in the area of throttling you
My ME system was quite expensive thank you very much too, Probably not as much as this, But still. It's full processing
Meaning it's wired to all the necessary machines and can craft anything you need out of sheer raw material

selectfw

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, firstly, love your work, I have been wanting to do exactly this for ages, but have been unable to find the time.

Is it possible to put the computer on top of the sorter? This would increase the barrel density by 25%.

Is it possible that the idlookup file be placed online, assuming these IDs are not unique for each world/server. This would allow users with the correct access level to maintain this for mod packs and automagicly download/update?

One other crazy feature that I might work on (if I ever get the time) would be nice to have a (or a few) output sorters so you could select from a list of destinations and the items are delivered there. examples would be "crafting room", "Ore Processing" etc

Thanks

selectfw

Jul 29, 2019
Just another question, why does the cluster need to emit redstone out the front? You do not document anywhere of this feature, and when placing on top (testing this) and using redpower filters, means the filter in front of it will not work, and lowers possible density of the storage..

Code doing this is:

id, message = rednet.receive(1)
if id ~= nill then

local b, c
b, ct, c = validateWeeblerMsg(message)
if (b == true ) then
redstone.setOutput("front", false) -- blinky
processCmd( id, ct, c)
redstone.setOutput("front", true) -- blinky
else
end
end

I would update the code to remove this, but then the startup script (which btw I love) would just overwrite this in the next update anyway.

selectfw

Jul 29, 2019
Just found a bug that I am hoping you can help with.

I know the system can not view the count of items in barrels, however at some point tonight it reset all items in barrels to 64. Any suggestions on this, I don't want to have to pull all the items out, and pumped them back in on a regular basis, and been a couple off is manageable, however to be 64x or more off is a problem, particularly since the only way to get items out of the system is via the send function, and this will not send if there is it would result in a negative inventory.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
This may/may not be a bug, but something that is a little annoying. I was testing this out to see if I would want to use this on my next world (yes I do),. I put diamond blocks in one barrel, sapphire blocks in one, and ruby blocks in another, all on one sorter. The names wouldn't show up, and I didn't feel like changing them, so I decided to just use iron ingots, gold ingots, and silver ingots. The blocks stayed on the screen?

On the other hand, this is totally rad, and am wondering if extra dimensional storage upgrades work?