Ways to boost crop growth.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
Heyo' everyone. So, I was wandering which setup would be the best for boosting crop grownth, using mainly items which stack their effects.

Ex.: - Sprinkler, Lilypad of Fertility, Lamp of Growth, etc.

What would, in theory, be the best setup out there?

I'm using a custom modpack, so, modlist is kinda private at the moment - just imagine we have every mod available you can you think of. Or, if you prefer, imagine I'm using Monster.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
9x9 crop field with 4 MFR Harvesters. Instead of dirt, use Fertilized Soil from Random Things. The middle spot should be an AM2 Sigil stand with the growth sigil (whatever it's called), and below the dirt should be at least 4 DC Time Torches set to Hyper. Surround the farm with Lilypads of Fertility and put a roof of Lamps of Growth over it. Then afk in the middle with Bound Armor equiped with a Sigil of the Green Grove, while also have that sigil active in your inventory.

...I hope you have a few DSUs on hand, too.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yes, they do. As well, there was an interesting post by Yusunoha about Growth Sigils stacking their effects if you put them in all your pieces of Bound Armor... Idk what it was called and I don't feel like finding it (#lazy), but yeah, they do stack.

And by a crazy amount. Probably your best bet until it gets nerfed (which may or may not happen).

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
ExtraUtilities Watering Cans used to work extremely well for speeding crops when placed in Autonomous Activators underneath the farmland. However, they don't seem to stack with each other, although they may stack with other things. Also, I've heard that the watering cans have more recently been coded specifically to not work in Activators and the like, so you're probably out of luck on that.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
ExtraUtilities Watering Cans used to work extremely well for speeding crops when placed in Autonomous Activators underneath the farmland. However, they don't seem to stack with each other, although they may stack with other things. Also, I've heard that the watering cans have more recently been coded specifically to not work in Activators and the like, so you're probably out of luck on that.
Didn't Tema add some new upgraded version of the watering can that does work with fake players though? It may have been a 1.7 change, but I don't know- I don't really follow ExUtils updates.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery

Yep, I discovered that the bad way
RIP In Pieces, "Watering Can" - 2014, 2014.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Didn't Tema add some new upgraded version of the watering can that does work with fake players though? It may have been a 1.7 change, but I don't know- I don't really follow ExUtils updates.

I think that's a 1.7 thing.
Yep, I discovered that the bad way
RIP In Pieces, "Watering Can" - 2014, 2014.

Rest in peace in pieces? :p

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
2014-06-25_21.17.48.png
Yeah, this is the monstrosity I described. Timed it for 5 minutes (used wheat) and it collected 6115 Wheat and 9757 Seeds. The limitation was actually on how fast I could collect the crops, because they grew instantly. FYI, those are Technomancy Creative Jars on the roof.

EDIT: Just tested this setup on melons and replaced Harvesters with ME Transition Planes, which break blocks one a tick (effectively making this the fastest harvesting possible). It collected 494K melon slices in 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
9x9 crop field with 4 MFR Harvesters. Instead of dirt, use Fertilized Soil from Random Things. The middle spot should be an AM2 Sigil stand with the growth sigil (whatever it's called), and below the dirt should be at least 4 DC Time Torches set to Hyper. Surround the farm with Lilypads of Fertility and put a roof of Lamps of Growth over it. Then afk in the middle with Bound Armor equiped with a Sigil of the Green Grove, while also have that sigil active in your inventory.

...I hope you have a few DSUs on hand, too.

The only thing that would be need to perfect this is somehow using Gany's Surface's fertiliser.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, this is the monstrosity I described. Timed it for 5 minutes (used wheat) and it collected 6115 Wheat and 9757 Seeds. The limitation was actually on how fast I could collect the crops, because they grew instantly. FYI, those are Technomancy Creative Jars on the roof.

EDIT: Just tested this setup on melons and replaced Harvesters with ME Transition Planes, which break blocks one a tick (effectively making this the fastest harvesting possible). It collected 494K melon slices in 5 minutes.

Add 4 Rituals of the Green Grove under, 8 MFR fertilisers(one on each side of the harvesters) and fill the rest of the sides with harvesters, move the sigil a bit an add an AqAc with a sprinkler filled with bone meal in the centre and then that will drastically increase production(even more)

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing that would be need to perfect this is somehow using Gany's Surface's fertiliser.
Add 4 Rituals of the Green Grove under, 8 MFR fertilisers(one on each side of the harvesters) and fill the rest of the sides with harvesters, move the sigil a bit an add an AqAc with a sprinkler filled with bone meal in the centre and then that will drastically increase production(even more)
Actually, it wouldn't matter that much, if at all. My system was, in fact, total overkill as-is; the crops are growing in a maximum of 2 ticks, more often than not 1. It's really the collection and planting that are the two roadblocks from my brief experience.

Or I could just add 30 more Time Torches and enable them to work on machines. That would work too.