Water or Apple Juice

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Hai. I've set up my giant system for biomass-genning, but I've noticed, I can't consistently produce apple juice to constantly fuel the Fermenters. However, I have a lot of biomass. Do you think this will be ok to use or what?

(Steve carts farm, it's small-ish. I can make it larger.)

I could use honey drops but they're kinda hard atm as I'm just automating bees.

Also what should I invest the wood/biomass in besides quarrying.

Thanks in advance

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well, what I'm gonna do is make 2 fermenters, one with AJ, and one with water. If there's no juice, it'll just automatically go to the next one (restriction pipes ftw), and it'll always be filled to 64 first (which is not a problem if you have a SC).

And you can invest your energy into PowerConverters (or extrabees machines, that'll use up you power quick).

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
I only ever use water myself, without any real production issues - I have a pair of fermenters fed by a single aqueous accumulator, and what I'd bet is an even smaller tree farm, and golem wheat farm combo.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I only ever use water myself, without any real production issues - I have a pair of fermenters fed by a single aqueous accumulator, and what I'd bet is an even smaller tree farm, and golem wheat farm combo.

This is what I did before too.

Really when you get into automation effiency stops being a huge issue as it can be compansated but just scaling up. Only getting half the output of AJ? no big deal upscale your farm and double your fermenters. It is automanted its not like your moving stuff yourslef.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I just checked NEI to be sure, but honey and apple juice don't have many uses in liquid form. Basically the fermenter and biogas engine. (Although I think you can put liquid honey in the still as well to make mead.--not showing in NEI). So, throw an extra fermenter or engine in somewhere to use what you are producing. Otherwise, what's the point?

Back to your original post. If you aren't running low on biomass, you are fine. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are backlogging your automation system because you run out of apple juice, then either find another use for the saplings when the fermenters are shut down, or add in a second fermenter running off water that kicks off whenever the first one isn't running. (or just run both)

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I have an aqueous accumulator which is turned off by a redstone signal when there's apple juice in my tank, and the liquiduct that pumps the apple juice out of the tank is switched on by the same gate. Both of these are liquiducted to the same fermenter. The net effect of this is that my fermenter switches to water when there's not enough apple juice, and switches back to apple juice when there is enough of that. Simple, but effective.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
Adding apple juice into the mix is fun, but in my experience pretty pointless as saplings are by far the most abundant thing in the system, so there's no point in being more effecient with them. There never seem to be enough apples for juice. Apples are worth processing for mulch though, the balance seems pretty good there.

A nice project though could be building a contraption that switches between water and apple on one of the fermenters by detecting whether the apple juice tank is empty or not.

>wow, ninja'd by someone who did just that. Nice!

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Adding apple juice into the mix is fun, but in my experience pretty pointless as saplings are by far the most abundant thing in the system, so there's no point in being more effecient with them. There never seem to be enough apples for juice. Apples are worth processing for mulch though, the balance seems pretty good there.

A nice project though could be building a contraption that switches between water and apple on one of the fermenters by detecting whether the apple juice tank is empty or not.

I have a large multiblock apple orchard :) (Still don't get enough apples to keep my fermenter going 100% but it helps). Also, yep my simple system switches between apple and water.

Reactions: tabs

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I have a large multiblock apple orchard :) (Still don't get enough apples to keep my fermenter going 100% but it helps). Also, yep my simple system switches between apple and water.
Hmm, that sounds good. How many apples would it make in an hour/minute/minecraft day, and how much fertilizer does it use? Also, just the basic apple oak?

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, that sounds good. How many apples would it make in an hour/minute/minecraft day, and how much fertilizer does it use? Also, just the basic apple oak?

Er... lots, lots and yep.

(I don't have figures, and I'm still struggling with the water supply to the farm, sometimes my 2 aqueous accumulators aren't enough, sometimes they are. When they don't cope, it keeps stopping and starting, which I imagine isn't very efficient. What I do know is that the time I accidentally ran out of saplings to go into my fermenter (Steve's carts farm ran out of solar power as I was offline, base was loaded, and so it was running at night times with no solid fuel in the other engine), I ended up with a couple of hundred barrels of apple juice in the tank. But I don't really know exactly when it ran out, and therefore over what time period that accumulated)