Was thinking of making my own mod.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
... 'Cause obviously I don't have enough to do with my life. :p

I was wanting to make a mod, but I only know the most basic Java (but not... you know, Basic). Does anyone know any good tutorials that focus on minecraft modding?

What I want to do is add a magic based mod that lets you eventually scribe spells onto your health bar. What I mean is that you could 'brew' up a spell by mixing specific components together to make a magic ink you use to inscribe the spell onto a heart on your health bar. Then from that point on, so long as that heart isn't gone from damage, you can access and use that spell. I was thinking of some effects similar to the wand caps from thaumcraft, but also some passive effects you could work towards like a low regen effect or something that reduces hunger rate or even a spell that protects against a specific status effect (Like Wither). The player could perhaps have a power reserve that regens, but does so slower the lower your health is.

I would love for this mod to have compatability with (and perhaps interactivity with) Botania and thaumcraft. Perhaps even some blood magic, considering the way the spells would be dependant on health. Perhaps I could make certain recipes that only show when you have those mods in too, like a spell that lets you absorb the primary energy source of that mod to refill your power reserve (like mana from botania, Vis from Thaumcraft, or essence from blood magic) at varying conversion rates to make it balanced (but no way to transfer it back, so no one can just convert their blood farm into mana or vis, or vice-versa)

So... after having blabbed all that on public forum, does it sound... doable? Where would I need to look to learn how to make this work right?

I should also add the question "Once I have made it, how would I get people interested in adding it to their modpacks?"

Last edited:

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Pahimar had a series going something along the lines of "Lets learn to mod" (or something like that).
Don't know how far he went, but you could try to check those vids out

Reactions: rungok

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
Okay great I'll check Padhimar's video. I was just refreshing my Java so I think I should be able to do this. Does the mod concept sound good?

This is entirely new territory for me so I am wondering what other mod developers think.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
The concept does sound quite interesting... I think I'd actually add it to my magic pack if there was a mod which had this in :D

Reactions: rungok

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
The concept does sound quite interesting... I think I'd actually add it to my magic pack if there was a mod which had this in :D
Awesome!
If I can get it figured out, I'll gladly share it with others. I am just getting started on it so I don't even know how to put it up on the basic minecraft or curse forums.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm eager to teach myself some java, or any coding at all, really. I tried Lua in Roblox, but was rapidly overwhelmed (I think a few attention issues and a learning disorder mat be in play), but I'm going to try Java. I would love to mod as well. So many ideas, but so little ability!

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
I'm eager to teach myself some java, or any coding at all, really. I tried Lua in Roblox, but was rapidly overwhelmed (I think a few attention issues and a learning disorder mat be in play), but I'm going to try Java. I would love to mod as well. So many ideas, but so little ability!

My father told me the biggest hurdle to getting started is understanding object oriented programming, which applied to quite a few programming languages. Once you really comprehend OOP then you can have an easier time with Java or C-Sharp, etc.

I just restarted my Java education by studying OOP first and it made everything click much faster.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
My father told me the biggest hurdle to getting started is understanding object oriented programming, which applied to quite a few programming languages. Once you really comprehend OOP then you can have an easier time with Java or C-Sharp, etc.

I just restarted my Java education by studying OOP first and it made everything click much faster.
OOP doesn't seem that difficult. The concept itself seems relatively simple... It's more of a personal issue keeping me from coding. I get too anxious to sit down and do things. I see a doc tomorrow, and I'm eager to figure out why I'm so anxious. It'll be a slow process, but I really enjoy anything technically related. I'm not expecting an instant fix, but steps to at least open opportunities. Just the thought of toying with code has me excited!

I don't have a problem modifying code. That's easy, and I've done it in several languages. Actually writing code? Whole other story.

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting watching Pahimar's video, so I'll be able to look at this soon.

If I see a mod that HAS mechanics that I would want to use, is it considered rude to ask the mod dev about the code?

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting watching Pahimar's video, so I'll be able to look at this soon.

If I see a mod that HAS mechanics that I would want to use, is it considered rude to ask the mod dev about the code?

Not if it's open source. And if it's not, it's on Java, you can just uncompile the code to see an approximation of the source. I wouldn't consider it rude if you just look at the public access data. It's like buying a product on the supermarket and analyze it to see how it was made.

But if you don't want to go this area, just ask them =]

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
Okay. Thanks.

I'll... consider checking each mod that I see has what I'm looking for, and maybe even ask people here if they've seen certain bits that I could look at to see how it was done. Then I can figure out if I should just take apart the code to find how they did it or just ask real nice like for instructions. :p

I was thinking of having it use cooldowns instead of a resource pool (Since many mods add resource pools like essence or vis or mana) I wouldn't want to make it cluttered if the mod was installed alongside other games.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
I too have started modding somewhat recently and unfortunately you are going to find Pahimars series seems dead in the water atm, which sucks. Also referencing github code for other mods is super helpful for figuring stuff out. Vanilla code is.... weird. So its helpful to look into others work to figure out how they handle it. Also Pahimar has an interesting method of pre-init and initiation. It's not the only way and you may like others better.