Walling off lava lakes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
...our server nether had to be reset because there were soo many lava blocks moving...
Would walling off sections of a lava lake help to reduce lag due to lava flow? Drop gravel or sand walls down, and drain it in chunks at a time (not literally "chunks", but maybe you could align the walls on chunk boundaries for maximum chunkloading efficiency). I would imagine that the lava drain is going to stop on chunk boundaries anyway, and then when you go there it'll have to suddenly calculate all the cross-chunk flow causing a big spike in calculations. I might program a turtle to build the walls. Is the theory sound though?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
The turtle could rescue them! It could go down into the lava lake where the wall is about to be built, filling buckets as it goes, then empty them out onto the top of the lake, and then build the wall. But even without that, it's a 12.5% loss for a single chunk, and if you do 3x3 chunks then it's only a little over 4% loss. If it works, then it's surely worth it.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I think I have an awesome idea... mystcraft lava sea with a frame airship with deployers on the underside that drop sand/gravel....

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I think I have an awesome idea... mystcraft lava sea with a frame airship with deployers on the underside that drop sand/gravel....
I have a better one. make a RP2 frame piledriver.

it would cost frames to get the walls down, but you can retract them later for re-use

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to have a bunch of people making massive lava pump setups, wouldn't it make more sense to just have the administrator of the server set up a liquid tesseract pulling from a massive lava tank which is refilled via whatever administrative means (the Duplicator from TubeStuff, if you have the ultimate pack, is likely the best choice for this using lava cells).

Just make the cost of entry the materials needed to make a nether lava pump system (BC pump, four redstone engines, liquid tesseract, two levers, etc) and then set up the liquid tesseract for them. No more mess of having the nether or a mystcraft world end up raped and ruined from pillaging a plundering.

Reactions: Growle

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Just make the cost of entry the materials needed to make a nether lava pump system (BC pump, four redstone engines, liquid tesseract, two levers, etc) and then set up the liquid tesseract for them. No more mess of having the nether or a mystcraft world end up raped and ruined from pillaging a plundering.
But... but... I like leaving a plundered industrial wasteland in my wake! Standing on a hilltop and gazing across the devastation, "I did that" is a wonderful feeling. It's the same reason I don't really like what I've seen of AE. I can't see getting an "I designed and built that, and it works" feeling looking at a single big grey box and a grey tube to a couple of smaller grey boxes.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
But... but... I like leaving a plundered industrial wasteland in my wake! Standing on a hilltop and gazing across the devastation, "I did that" is a wonderful feeling. It's the same reason I don't really like what I've seen of AE. I can't see getting an "I designed and built that, and it works" feeling looking at a single big grey box and a grey tube to a couple of smaller grey boxes.

I've been playing MineCraft, and modded MineCraft long enough that I willingly trade efficiency and logical design for another destroyed world. It's the reason I like the IC2 miner or a properly programmed mining turtle more than frame quarries, quarries, and whatnot. They do the exact same job, but they don't tear everything apart.

I can confirm that a liquid duplicator with a lava cell inside of it will work with liquiducts set on extract mode. Works like a charm, and it sure as heck beats the lag nether pumping can cause.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I have a better one. make a RP2 frame piledriver. it would cost frames to get the walls down, but you can retract them later for re-use
The problem is, the lake will have an uneven floor so each block column will have to be moved independently with its own frame motor. And you have to leave at least one line of walls in place to hold back the lava while the other wall deployers leapfrog up and over the edge barrier to the new positions. Any low-hanging Netherrack over the pool will have to be cleared to make space for the frame walls, and if the pool gets wider, you need a wider barrier... seriously, a turtle has got to be the best way to do this.[DOUBLEPOST=1363187019][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've been playing MineCraft, and modded MineCraft long enough that I willingly trade efficiency and logical design for another destroyed world.
Fair enough. Maybe I'll feel the same when I've been playing mods a bit longer. I'm still working on my first modded world that I started in January, plus a more recent SMP world with a couple of friends who are new to mods as well.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

That sums it up for me too.
I want to make my mark on the world, and i want it visible from spaace.

And nothing brings satisfaction like having miles and miles of tubes, conveyor belts and machines humming along in harmony to the tune of the screams of a world being stripped down to it's core. Preferably done by big bulky contraptions.[DOUBLEPOST=1363187332][/DOUBLEPOST]
The problem is, the lake will have an uneven floor so each block column will have to be moved independently with its own frame motor. And you have to leave at least one line of walls in place to hold back the lava while the other wall deployers leapfrog up and over the edge barrier to the new positions. Any low-hanging Netherrack over the pool will have to be cleared to make space for the frame walls, and if the pool gets wider, you need a wider barrier... seriously, a turtle has got to be the best way to do this.

your pile driver has to be an independent frameship. it would ofc need to be able to clear any obstacles in it's way. so the outer rim of the ship would have to be made from block breakers. driving the piles down into an uneven floor is not hard. put a block breaker on the tip and pile it all the way down to bedrock. don't forget to add covers to the sides, so that individual piles wont stick together.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. Maybe I'll feel the same when I've been playing mods a bit longer. I'm still working on my first modded world that I started in January, plus a more recent SMP world with a couple of friends who are new to mods as well.

Most likely. Hopefully you'll only have to have your nether reset once more before it becomes the next logical step, heh heh heh.

That sums it up for me too.
I want to make my mark on the world, and i want it visible from spaace.

The nether's "roof" keeps that from being possible, so better go with the MystCraft lava sea world, eh?

And nothing brings satisfaction like having miles and miles of tubes, conveyor belts and machines humming along in harmony to the tune of the screams of a world being stripped down to it's core. Preferably done by big bulky contraptions.

It's fun the first few times having hundreds if not thousands of chunks all stripped down to bedrock. But, really now, there is only so much enjoyment you can get out of it before the army of slimes and their fapping sound drive you bananas.

Reactions: AlanEsh

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It's fun the first few times having hundreds if not thousands of chunks all stripped down to bedrock. But, really now, there is only so much enjoyment you can get out of it before the army of slimes and their fapping sound drive you bananas.
You mean Like this or Like Johnny Here?
Honest question. Personally I agree, less world eating machines is better. I would use IC2 Miners, but I'm lazy and would have to set up FTB with my current selection of mods to really play FTB. Plus I prefer mining by hand, because I can selectively mine what I want how I want to.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
You mean Like this or Like Johnny Here?
Honest question. Personally I agree, less world eating machines is better. I would use IC2 Miners, but I'm lazy and would have to set up FTB with my current selection of mods to really play FTB. Plus I prefer mining by hand, because I can selectively mine what I want how I want to.

Mining by hand is likely the best way to cause the least amount of excess work, although it surely isn't that efficient. Maybe use an IC2 miner, or a turtle, or what have you to dig a drop shaft straight down (or if you have a jetpack, switch to hover mode and be prepared to fly) to get into a nice cave system.

The biggest problem, though, is that lava is still an extremely easy power source, which means nether draining is going to happen so long as people still want to use it as a power source. Better to have a way to avoid destroying the nether. Maybe an infinite lava block option would be good for a pump, which would only work in the nether and only when it is connected to a sea of lava source blocks. It'd give you nearly the exact same result (infinite lava versus infinite lava versus infinite lava with a bit of work moving the pump every so often and horrible liquid update lag) with less of the work.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I still like the idea of a pump that replaces lava source blocks with cobble. 'draining the heat', as it were.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I still like the idea of a pump that replaces lava source blocks with cobble. 'draining the heat', as it were.

Magma crucibles turn cobblestone into lava, which is similar enough to count if we're playing horseshoes.

That aside, though, a "heat pump" that would turn lava into smooth stone (cobblestone doesn't make much sense in that usage) might be nice, perhaps having it produce steam and require water (you'd have to pump this into the nether from the overworld most likely).

But without expecting a mod author to "fix" this, and the only way that it'd fix it would be if a "heat pump" were to be better than pumping the lava source blocks and then thermal generatoring/magmatic engining them. From the perspective of a server administrator that wants to keep from needing to replace the nether every week, banning nether lava pumping in favor of an infinite lava setup working off of a liquid tesseract seems to be a much more feasible idea.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, sure, but the lag issue from flowing lava could probably be eliminated if each source block was replaced as it was removed. That's work for single player, multiplayer, and just plain lazy player.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Well, sure, but the lag issue from flowing lava could probably be eliminated if each source block was replaced as it was removed. That's work for single player, multiplayer, and just plain lazy player.

It also requires a modder to create, and still requires that administrators do the same amount of work (telling people to not use nether pumps, checking every now and again, etc), and as such it is not something that could be done currently.

I've presented an option that would resolve the issue without any additional outside assistance. Your solution requires someone make a "heat pump" machine. If the heat pump existed, and it was properly balanced, it might compete with what I'm saying. But as it does not exist, it's not even a possible piece of competition because we cannot use something that does not exist.

That aside, though, if you go and ask Greg or KingLemming to make this, you will be the savor of many who don't have server administrators smart enough to properly deal with the problem.

Reactions: Lambert2191

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt KingLemming would pursue it, since he designed the crucible to fill that slot based on comments from another thread.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt KingLemming would pursue it, since he designed the crucible to fill that slot based on comments from another thread.

Yup, and Greg might do it, but it'd cost fifteen trillion, five hundred and negative apple billion, one point pi million, eight hundred and sixty-six thousand, and a specific uncommon bird living in an uncommon fruit tree amount of netherstars to make it.

The best option for a server owner that doesn't want to disallow all pumping of lava would be to set up an infinite lava tesseract. The best option for a person playing on their own would likely be that, as well. The best option for a person playing on a server with an administrator that doesn't care to do that would likely be to do what they want in regards to pumping, and try and avoid going into the nether as the lag can be a killer.

Reactions: ApSciLiara