Use for cobblestone and dirt?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nailroth

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i have just started to learn about FTB and i have a question,
I have a HUGE quarry setup and i get so much cobblestone and dirt from it and now i just throw it all into a lava hole to get rid of it but i wonder if i can put it in a machine to get something useful from it?

i know you can put cobblestone in a macerator to get sand.

An example of a useful thing.

Put cobblestone in a machine and have a chance for diffrent ores. It may exist or not but you get my point

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Put them all into a recycler and get scrap, use scrap for the mass fab to get almost anything with UU-matter.

I think you can put Cobble into a rock Crusher to get a very small chance at other stuff... not sure if that's cobble, gravel or both.

I convert each stack of cobble, sandstone, wood into 3 stacks of cobble and sandstone slabs and 12 stacks of wood slabs for my recycler. I can generate all the cobble I want, same with sand and sandstone. and I could add some peat farms to generate extra dirt if I needed it.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Other than the sand, just smelting cobblestone back into stone for aesthetic purposes.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Dirt is required for Humus and bog peat production for farms, you could macerate the cobble for sand to make the bog peat recipe too.

Otherwise void pipe, don't need to lava pit anything now, pipe into the void.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Scrap will burn as fuel too - same as wood planks I believe. Also scrap boxes are fun. Build yourself a packager, throw the scrap in there, get a bunch of scrap boxes and start right-clicking like mad. :)

Reactions: Antice

joseff amador

Jul 29, 2019
Other than the sand, just smelting cobblestone back into stone for aesthetic purposes.

I second this. I usually set up my extra cobblestone to be piped into a Stone Bricks-making factory. Pipe your cobble into an electric furnace or induction furnace and pipe the resulting smooth stone into an automated crafting table set up to create stone bricks.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Scrap will burn as fuel too - same as wood planks I believe. Also scrap boxes are fun. Build yourself a packager, throw the scrap in there, get a bunch of scrap boxes and start right-clicking like mad. :)
Agreed, although once redpower is available, a deployer will do all the right clicking for you.

Turning into scrap boxes is better then voiding. Just needs a EU power source, even solar would do, recyclers are not power hungry.

Kyre

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, although once redpower is available, a deployer will do all the right clicking for you.

Turning into scrap boxes is better then voiding. Just needs a EU power source, even solar would do, recyclers are not power hungry.
Also there's a new GregTech machine (not in FTB yet) that automatically will unpack scrap boxes for you.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
At what cost though? GT recipes are usually very very expensive and a bit of a pain.

Bobbels

Jul 29, 2019
cobble into pulverizer -> chance for gravel
gravel into rock crusher -> low chance for diamonds and gold nuggets.

i'm going to set this up next, see how it prevails.
i'll make cobble with igneous extruders of course.

of course another quarry would be fine as well, but i'm bored and trying different things.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need special GT machine, there is one vanilla block which works as intended with scrapboxes:
OiYui.png

I thought that matter fabricator also needed increased amount of scrap, so I went a little bit over the top with recyclers, specifically I have a stack of them with a stack of igneous extruders, all connected to the router with item filter and bandwith upgrade. I pull items from router/ACT using energy cells, because RS engines are too slow.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
You can also macerate cobble to make sand, then place the sand with some pulverized metal into the induction smelter. Pull the slag out and cook to make rockwool. The metal ingots can be repulverized, so the only thing you need to feed it is the sand.

Rockwool looks like wool and can be dyed any color...key difference is its fire proof:)

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
you can always stick some in the magma crucible to get lava...though, you'll need some spare MJs.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
I convert each stack of cobble, sandstone, wood into 3 stacks of cobble and sandstone slabs and 12 stacks of wood slabs for my recycler. I can generate all the cobble I want, same with sand and sandstone. and I could add some peat farms to generate extra dirt if I needed it.
Sir, I know I will look really dumb, but you are a genius. I would have never ever thought of such a simple way to triple my scrap production and - since I'm going on with the matterfab rather than the massfab - it will surely come in handy.
Here's a cookie for you!
Grid_Cookie.png

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You don't need special GT machine, there is one vanilla block which works as intended with scrapboxes:

I thought that matter fabricator also needed increased amount of scrap, so I went a little bit over the top with recyclers, specifically I have a stack of them with a stack of igneous extruders, all connected to the router with item filter and bandwith upgrade. I pull items from router/ACT using energy cells, because RS engines are too slow.
Oh wow, did not know that the normal dispenser would open a scrap box. Always used red power deployers.

I love getting a random bit of stuff from them. Forgot once to put a diamond in my sorting box, as any unsorted items (i.e. the junk) got fed back into a condensor to turn into more cobble. Was passing my system, couldn't understand why the machines kept starting and stopping due to lack of power, and then I saw thousands of cobble stuck in the system. Was a pain to clean up!

Pulversizor and Rock Crusher are also another good idea. I love the build and forget systems. Chances are a lot lower I believe in this system, but it will eventually work and pay for itself.

Bobbels

Jul 29, 2019
Sir, I know I will look really dumb, but you are a genius. I would have never ever thought of such a simple way to triple my scrap production and - since I'm going on with the matterfab rather than the massfab - it will surely come in handy.
Here's a cookie for you!
Grid_Cookie.png
now i might be wrong on this, but i think recyclers know slabs and lower the chance for scrap on them.
what worked great in the past were redpower microblocks. of course we don't have those now. not yet.

Drakt

Jul 29, 2019
Oh i was wondering if dispensers would unload scrapboxes, thats awesome news, the amount of wooden hoes i have is astounding!

Kyre

Jul 29, 2019
Additionally, if you put dirt in a Gregtech Industrial Centrifuge, one of the outputs is clay, which can be useful if you don't want to get it via Industrialization.

You could even set up a self-sustaining infinite clay factory, by using the route of most plants > Plantballs > Macerated into dirt > Centrifuged into clay.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
The rock crusher is a very very slow way to get gold and diamonds - but it does happen. Expect a free diamond once a week or so using it.

Centrifuge dirt into plant balls. Turn plant balls into IC2 or Forestry Biofuel to run things.

If you have enough simmering combs from forestry bees, you can use an infinite dirt gen like a peat bog in order to create infinite lava for only the MJ cost of the bee centrifuge and a squeezer.

Dirt is a vital component in compost, hummus and bog earth - making an infinite dirt source a key aspect of creating renewable MJ and EU.

Cobblestone is required to use moisteners to get mulch (if you don't want to use compost to get humus). It's also a way to get infinte sand for things like glass and all the recipes that entails. You can also turn it into lava with phosphor from simmering combs and a squeezer.