Urgency?! The shady? future of modded minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm not sure if the modded minecraft community has been aware recently but I have been watching BevoLJ's videos recently and this has come to my attention has the modded minecraft community suddenly became volatile? I mean what happened to the players of modded minecraft recently for all I know during the era of MC 1.5.x SirSengir has already left the minecraft modding scene, and then on 1.6.x we have mDiyo, Minalian, King Lemming and... Pahimar leaving the modding scene as well... well I know Starbound is there maybe... I'm not sure... will that be the future place? In anycase I haven't been to reddit so from what I have suspected I'm sensing a steep drama has been happening behind the scenes according to bevo's recent video specifically this

I'm curious what will be the future of modded minecraft... will it be a breeding ground of hate and immature disrespect or will it be brighter? with fresher ideas or somewhere down the line great things will always come to an end?

I want to know the people's thoughts on this topic it may not be urgent now but I think what we will get from this thread may make or break the future of modded minecraft.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
It shall be brighter, if we all work at it and help one another.
As for the video/youtuber bit I didn't have a clue what you were on about.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'm curious what will be the future of modded minecraft... will it be a breeding ground of hate and immature disrespect?

No changes there then.

In all seriousness- modded MC has always been volatile and modders/players have been coming and going since day 1. This is just business as usual- nothing to worry about.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
You're about one week late to this whole topic, people were breathing fire everywhere back then.
Anything might happen in the future, how it affects you only depends on how pessimistic you are.

Reactions: RealSketch

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
It shall be brighter, if we all work at it and help one another.
As for the video/youtuber bit I didn't have a clue what you were on about.
bevo made some ramblings in the middle part of the video when he was making the blast furnace from GT, it has something to do with the modding community in minecraft sadly i forgot how to make a timestamp links on youtube...

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Its volatile because devs are sick and tired of having to redo a ton of code every major patch just to have their mod run at all. Its a massive waste of development time and Mojangs apathy about it is a little infuriating. Then you have kids pissed becuse their fav mods didnt get updated, they run off and beg the author like its their right to have this mod, and authors get even more fed up.

Due to very poor Mojang development in terms of API or even giving half a rats ass about the current API (forge) mods are slowly going down each patch when they should be shooting up sharply each patch. Its sad really because modded MC is the future of this game if it wants to stay popular.

Mojang needs to stop. Now. Address this as a top priority and stop slowly adding crap into vanilla MC that was from a mod in the first place and focus on performance and stability. The community itself can carry this game for the next decade or two with Mojang managing things overall, but they continue to think adding horses is worth screwing 100s of mods compatibility and causing 1000s of hours of dev time to update in the community. This is what people are pissed.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Its volatile because devs are sick and tired of having to redo a ton of code every major patch just to have their mod run at all. Its a massive waste of development time and Mojangs apathy about it is a little infuriating. Then you have kids pissed becuse their fav mods didnt get updated, they run off and beg the author like its their right to have this mod, and authors get even more fed up.

Due to very poor Mojang development in terms of API or even giving half a rats ass about the current API (forge) mods are slowly going down each patch when they should be shooting up sharply each patch. Its sad really because modded MC is the future of this game if it wants to stay popular.

Mojang needs to stop. Now. Address this as a top priority and stop slowly adding crap into vanilla MC that was from a mod in the first place and focus on performance and stability. The community itself can carry this game for the next decade or two with Mojang managing things overall, but they continue to think adding horses is worth screwing 100s of mods compatibility and causing 1000s of hours of dev time to update in the community. This is what people are pissed.
On a more positive note, SpaceToad is back!

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Its volatile because etc
I'd like to think this is all there is to it - I really would, as I often like to spout on about how "we'd all be better off if Mojang stopped updating" - but if this were really the case (modders giving up just because "Mojang's update broked things") I suspect the major modders would just agree between themselves to keep on updating for a given version of MineCraft and henceforth ignore whatever Mojang releases from that point on.

Of course, that relies on them all being able to agree with each other about something, so I suppose there's a bit of a flaw in that argument. Though if Forge or CPW or whatever other projects large groups of mods rely on stopped updating, I guess that'd force the issue...

Are those going to update? I lose track.

Reactions: RealSketch

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to think this is all there is to it - I really would, as I often like to spout on about how "we'd all be better off if Mojang stopped updating" - but if this were really the case (modders giving up just because "Mojang's update broked things") I suspect the major modders would just agree between themselves to keep on updating for a given version of MineCraft and henceforth ignore whatever Mojang releases from that point on.

This is pretty much why I dont get the current drama. Forge and mods gets to hard to update with new versions? Then dont. Everything added in vanilla is already present in mods. Just lock the version and wait for the actual API release to update.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019

Of course, that relies on them all being able to agree with each other about something, so I suppose there's a bit of a flaw in that argument. Though if Forge or CPW or whatever other projects large groups of mods rely on stopped updating, I guess that'd force the issue...

Are those going to update? I lose track.
So true^, this is what should happen in the simplest explained form!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This is pretty much why I dont get the current drama. Forge and mods gets to hard to update with new versions? Then dont. Everything added in vanilla is already present in mods. Just lock the version and wait for the actual API release to update.
Personally I think 1.6 is a good point for the modded community to hang around with for a while. Devs are starting to work on 1.7 and Mojang is already dropping 1.8 snapshots. From a player perspective 1.7 added biomes and wood; we have at least 3 biome mods that trump that already. 1.8 is adding ugly stone blocks and slime blocks. Who cares?

I'm not sure if any of the technical changes would be desirable for ease of mod play, but content-wise we're not missing anything. Mojang is skimming off of the mods anyway. Their acacia trees look like a near ripoff of BoP's except for the color. Forestry has had various wood types for months. They even got horses from a mod; I already had Chocobos.

Besides it seems that a lot of their new ideas for 1.8 are getting blasted by the vanilla folks anyways. From the changes to enchanting to the ruined villager mechanics, the current vanilla scene seems worse than the mod community's recent drama.

Reactions: Padfoote

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect the major modders would just agree between themselves to keep on updating for a given version of MineCraft and henceforth ignore whatever Mojang releases from that point on.
I don't think that can happen. Not because of what you said, but because of all the kids in the official forums asking for updates literally as soon as Minecraft gets an update. Eventually they'd all get insane and give in.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019

So just to check, your argument is:
  • Modders are angry because the code changes each update
  • Mojang are not changing the code to make way for the plugin api
Right?

Also, how does this sound (to everyone who plays vanilla only): "Minecraft 1.9 includes no visible changes to gameplay. None. We just did a code revamp and did not add any new blocks or features."?

If you are looking in the right places you can see that Mojang have been working towards a plugin API since 1.4 becoming more pronounced since.

FML/Forge provides a cushion for mods as well between changes. Since 1.5 mods can be compiled to survive obfuscation changes and so can work within major versions. Yes, methods did change, but I don't think the problem is as bad as you say. (Although admittedly, I have not updated a major mod)

I think the bigger problem was the "We'll skip this version" attitude, especially with 1.6. No-one was planning to make a modpack for 1.6 (FTB was planning on skipping 1.6, and so were other modpack makers), so why update to a version that most people playing with mods won't use (even if the changes are minor)?

Reactions: Sadistical_satan

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Its most of what Bigglesworth mentioned plus all the drama form armchair copyright lawyers, permission demanders/ignores, Minecraft EULA interpretations/rumors, and both good and bad mod drm. Which is floating around as well and is creating a rift in the community. Since everyone seams to have very strong and often conflicting opinions about said topics. All of which is made worse with the mountains of rumors, false/twisted/bad info, etc that exists from both sides of the coin.

Which is why it is strongly recommended to simply ignore it all as you can only make things worse by getting involved. Also this forum is no place to discuss said issues as the moderators will get very angry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.