Upgrading to Magic Bees

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all, just a quick question. Now that Thaumic Bees has turned into Magic Bees, what does that mean for the various packs that use TB? I play on a server running Mindcrack 8.3.2, which still has TB. I know that the author (MysteriousAges on MCF) posted a guide for migrating to the new mod, but does that mean that server admins will have to a) re-roll the map or b) manually edit the configs?

Obviously option A sucks and will definitely be a game breaker for some. Option B isn't so bad, but I've always liked the fact that I have not once ever had to touch a config file... ever.

There may be an option C, which would be do nothing, and see what happens, but I think that because of the ID changes, this would not work. There's also a bit he talks about enabling retrogen in the config, so I'm assuming there are new hives coming. Obviously that can be worked around by generating new chunks, you'd just miss out on the new hives in any existing chunks. Much better than re-rolling a map, but there are still the ID conflicts to contend with.

Any ideas/thoughts on how this will play out or how to plan ahead?

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Been playing with magic bees on an experimental 1.5.2 server that started with thaumic bees and upgraded to magic bees.

New hives are indeed added but the retrogen works very well. We didn't have to re-roll and the new hives just popped up in previously generated chunks.

Still a fair few bugs in the mod to be squished though.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
It's mostly a rename of the pack rather than a radical change. So a strait update to the new version should work. The change seems to be largely to allow him to add on to the mod things not related to Thamcraft. Like Ars magica bees or Equivalent exchange bees. Just speculating on the EE bees. :D

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Been playing with magic bees on an experimental 1.5.2 server that started with thaumic bees and upgraded to magic bees.

New hives are indeed added but the retrogen works very well. We didn't have to re-roll and the new hives just popped up in previously generated chunks.

Still a fair few bugs in the mod to be squished though.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I assume you had to manually edit the configs, though, correct?[DOUBLEPOST=1372027514][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's mostly a rename of the pack rather than a radical change. So a strait update to the new version should work. The change seems to be largely to allow him to add on to the mod things not related to Thamcraft. Like Ars magica bees or Equivalent exchange bees. Just speculating on the EE bees. :D

Every ID has been changed. While not radical, that definitely throws a monkey wrench into the works. It also adds more hives, which are generated during world gen. You would only get those in newly generated chunks.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, I didn't have to manually edit anything. Not sure what the server admins had to do on their side of it, but it was download the updated private pack and play for me.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, I didn't have to manually edit anything. Not sure what the server admins had to do on their side of it, but it was download and play for me.

Oh, when you said "we" I thought you meant the players and admins. I'm sure the server admins had to edit a config file. While perfectly doable, I've never had to touch any and that's a little disheartening. To me, the whole appeal of FTB is that it just works. I don't want to have to monkey around under the hood.