Unstable's out for 1.7 - Any opinions yet?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
The first 1.7 FTB pack just came out, Unstable, it is a testing pack but does anyone have any thought about it yet? The first thing I noticed was that it doesn't have ic2 advanced machines, which does have a 1.7 version out, I can't wait for more 1.7 mods to fill this pack up. :D

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I definitely like this approach of publicly alpha-testing a version as soon as it comes out. 1.7 packs might take way less time to make due to early bugfixes.

Reactions: BreezyTaco

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm liking the fact that there are relatively few mods in it right now... That means I can become familiar with the new ones as they're added. I just hope NEI has a 1.7.x version soon, as it serves as my recipe look up.

I'm not worried about world reloads as I tend to delete and start new worlds anyway if when I derp badly enough... :D

[Edit] BTW, I like the pack name... Unstable. Let's just hope it doesn't live up to it's name like Monster did and does for the maintenance staff.

Last edited:

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I was a bit confused as to why Blood Magic wasn't included. When I saw there was a 1.7 pack, that's the first updated mod that I thought of, and I was excited to play it without having to set it up myself.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic is quite stable, so that's probably why it isn't in the "Unstable" pack :p

So I decided to add Blood Magic manually, and opened the config, and spent about five minutes looking around madly because I couldn't figure out how to configure block ID's...

Yup. I'm dumb.

Reactions: Pokefenn

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
There really aren't enough updated mods to fully test 1.7 mods, things like blood magic, twilight forest, and advanced machines, in my opinion would be must haves to test the 1.7 mods

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I've played it today and found a brown muddy looking slime called 'Work in Progress' or something. It even dropped Mudballs!

InfiniLife

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I hope gets updated and added is gregtech I don't know about you but I love the challenge it provides. Also Advanced Machines would be nice ;D

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I hope gets updated and added is gregtech I don't know about you but I love the challenge it provides. Also Advanced Machines would be nice ;D

I too would like a new and updated GregTech pack, but it's such a complete overhaul that it really will probably only be done as a custom pack built around it. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about it being add into Unstable.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke said that gregtech wouldn't be included in any pack made by the ftb team by default after 1.5 unhinged, it still has a config the the ftb universal config though so you can manually add it to pretty much any pack

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech wouldn't be good in this pack anyways. This is supposed to be a Beta testing pack, but Gregtech defeats the purpose of that all since it changes almost everything. You are welcome to add it manually though.

Reactions: b0bst3r

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Testing anything with GT in would be counter-productive since some/most modders refuse to accept bug reports with it in.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
fwiw, the third party modpacks section has churned out some 1.6.4 GT packs. I've had fun with some of those.

If you're looking specifically for 1.7 GT, its not outrageous to expect someone to throw one together soon. I'd love a particularly challenging one. More tedium the better :)

Back on topic: what's the direction with "Unstable" supposed to be? If it were a cross between X and Y pre-existing pack, what would X and Y be?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Testing anything with GT in would be counter-productive since some/most modders refuse to accept bug reports with it in.

It's not the GT that's the problem, it's cross mod troubleshooting in general. It is on pack developers to ensure their users know to report problems to the pack developer instead of the mod developer so said pack developer can weed out bug reports that have nothing to do with the actual functionality of the mod (like ID conflicts, or unintended feature conflicts). This also prevents repeated reports of bugs that have already been fixed in updated versions of the mod that haven't yet made it into a pack update (which the mod dev can't do anything about except get frustrated at the pack dev). It's important to do testing this way (with ANY group of mods) to leave mod developers free to fix actual bugs/problems within their own mods.

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke said that gregtech wouldn't be included in any pack made by the ftb team by default after 1.5 unhinged, it still has a config the the ftb universal config though so you can manually add it to pretty much any pack
He never said that, he said there were no plans to make one, but eventually one probably will come.

Reactions: Steel