Unnamed Job/Purchase Modpack Discussion Thread

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I've recently thought of a new modpack idea thanks to our very own Reika. With a good amount of support being present and my confidence in making it, I've decided to make a discussion thread so that we may throw some ideas at the wall.

So for those of you who haven't already seen my idea, here's the general gist of what I wrote down:

Looking at that gave me a modpack/map idea:
  • All crafting is disabled (Not including crafting that is needed for "Jobs")
  • You start in a very dangerous and unsavory job. Something no one would want, but something that's still entertaining.
  • Your HQM Book acts as a shop, where you can sell your cruddy job earnings for money, and then money for perks.
  • Perks are things like armor, weapons, blocks new jobs, new levels in your job and anything else that such servers sell.
  • All perks must first be unlocked, and some are only available to people of certain jobs
  • There's also unlockable deals and packs, which are exactly what they sound like
  • Throw in a winding and complex job tree and bob's your uncle!
I chose this pack idea as it's way easier to make a minimum viable product for compared to my other one, and the size of this pack also seems relatively easy to scale up over time. So without further ado, let's get the discussion going!

Oh, and here are some ideas from the general discussion thread that will probably get forgotten within a couple of hours:
Sewer worker. Even better since, with MFR, you can have your sewers contain actual sewage.

I like it! A "fix the pipes"/parkour type job! Avoid the sewage and turn the water back on!

I was thinking cable monkey, with enderio cables for wiring up office buildings. (Modular dungeon type levels?) and maybe guard, with guarding a vault type thing.

Do you want fries with that?

You can view screenshots of my progress on the map here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview...ZyMHQwU1JlbnpDS0I1N1M3TkZ6MFR4Q00&usp=sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: ljfa

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like Agriculture would be perfect for the "do you want fries with that" sort of thing. Also ANSSRPG could probably be used as a sort of CV, where working would give you skills which make that job easier. So you can either be great at a bad job and stay there forever or keep on moving up to new jobs and work on getting good at those instead.

Reactions: 1SDAN

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like Agriculture would be perfect for the "do you want fries with that" sort of thing. Also ANSSRPG could probably be used as a sort of CV, where working would give you skills which make that job easier. So you can either be great at a bad job and stay there forever or keep on moving up to new jobs and work on getting good at those instead.
Amazing idea, I completely forgot about ANSSRPG!

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I've recently thought of a new modpack idea thanks to our very own Reika. With a good amount of support being present and my confidence in making it, I've decided to make a discussion thread so that we may throw some ideas at the wall.

So for those of you who haven't already seen my idea, here's the general gist of what I wrote down:

I chose this pack idea as it's way easier to make a minimum viable product for compared to my other one, and the size of this pack also seems relatively easy to scale up over time. So without further ado, let's get the discussion going!

Oh, and here are some ideas from the general discussion thread that will probably get forgotten within a couple of hours:
Maybe Pam's harvestcraft, so that you could have a quest for 1000 potatoes, or something. Or repairing a flour mill. Or cooking for a fast food restaurant.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe Pam's harvestcraft, so that you could have a quest for 1000 potatoes, or something. Or repairing a flour mill. Or cooking for a fast food restaurant.
It seems interesting, but I've always been split on my view of that mod. On one hand it's great for plug and play and gives so many options, but on the other hand there's so many options it'd be hard to balance it all.

I guess since this pack is more modular in nature it could work, but all I can think of for Pam's is a Agricraft Farming Cross-crop thing. I'll think more on it though. If I can think of a fun and non-boring way to raise crops that doesn't consist of 1. Plant Crops 2. Get Another Job 3. ??? 4. Profit!, then I'll definitely add that in.

BTW right now I'm solely in the planning phase. In fact, I haven't even downloaded a single mod for this.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Some job ideas:

Ruin Hunter:
  • Mystcraft + Corrupted World + Random Structure Generation = $$$
Human XP Grinder:
  • Collect XP by fighting monsters with your fists and various potions. No weapons allowed. Then let your well-paying customer kill you for your XP.
Dirty Digger:
  • Race against the clock in a ME storage cell while punching as much dirt as possible. P.S. Beware of Attack Dogs

Reactions: 1M Industries

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
It seems interesting, but I've always been split on my view of that mod. On one hand it's great for plug and play and gives so many options, but on the other hand there's so many options it'd be hard to balance it all.

I guess since this pack is more modular in nature it could work, but all I can think of for Pam's is a Agricraft Farming Cross-crop thing. I'll think more on it though. If I can think of a fun and non-boring way to raise crops that doesn't consist of 1. Plant Crops 2. Get Another Job 3. ??? 4. Profit!, then I'll definitely add that in.

BTW right now I'm solely in the planning phase. In fact, I haven't even downloaded a single mod for this.
More like, 1. plant crops 2. Maintain machinery to grow crops(Rotarycraft?) 3. Sell crops 4. Get money 5. Get better machinery.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Some job ideas:

Ruin Hunter:
  • Mystcraft + Corrupted World + Random Structure Generation = $$$
Human XP Grinder:
  • Collect XP by fighting monsters with your fists and various potions. No weapons allowed. Then let your well-paying customer kill you for your XP.
Dirty Digger:
  • Race against the clock in a ME storage cell while punching as much dirt as possible. P.S. Beware of Attack Dogs
Ruin hunter: Hmmm.....maybe use the ruins mod? You could salvage useful machinery and resources from an irradiated/infested city, while battling monsters!
Human XP grinder: For immersion, try openblocks XP grate and some tanks. You could even use Computercraft/the QDS to determine the amount of money recived.
Dirty Digger: No comment, sounds good as is!

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
More like, 1. plant crops 2. Maintain machinery to grow crops(Rotarycraft?) 3. Sell crops 4. Get money 5. Get better machinery.
Sounds good. Out of curiosity, how many machines are there out there that actually increase plant growth and require power to run? I guess Agricraft's Sprinkler setup would allow for some sort of manual input from players.

As for using Rotary Craft, I'm not so sure @Reika would be exactly fond of the whole thing. I mean, I guess I could just keep players from getting the necessary materials to craft his stuff, but I'm not so certain as to how he'll feel about this use of his mod. Not that it's a bad use, just that some idiot may come along and say "PUD DEEZ GUAIY TEET EEAT!!!!11!!"\

Aside from that, thanks for all of the support guys! It's really cool to see your ideas

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
I like everything that's happening here. I would volunteer as a beta tester once you've reached that point in development, but my computer could never handle more than about 15 mods. All I can say is that I hope this ends up on the FTB Launcher.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds good. Out of curiosity, how many machines are there out there that actually increase plant growth and require power to run? I guess Agricraft's Sprinkler setup would allow for some sort of manual input from players.

As for using Rotary Craft, I'm not so sure @Reika would be exactly fond of the whole thing. I mean, I guess I could just keep players from getting the necessary materials to craft his stuff, but I'm not so certain as to how he'll feel about this use of his mod. Not that it's a bad use, just that some idiot may come along and say "PUD DEEZ GUAIY TEET EEAT!!!!11!!"\

Aside from that, thanks for all of the support guys! It's really cool to see your ideas
I can ask him. Post will be edited with his answer in a minute or two.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I like everything that's happening here. I would volunteer as a beta tester once you've reached that point in development, but my computer could never handle more than about 15 mods. All I can say is that I hope this ends up on the FTB Launcher.
Thank you very much. Considering this modpack is a much simpler idea than my previous NAM idea, I'll most probably get a version out relatively easily

EDIT: Thank you for the help 1M, here's a cuky

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
As for using Rotary Craft, I'm not so sure @Reika would be exactly fond of the whole thing. I mean, I guess I could just keep players from getting the necessary materials to craft his stuff, but I'm not so certain as to how he'll feel about this use of his mod. Not that it's a bad use, just that some idiot may come along and say "PUD DEEZ GUAIY TEET EEAT!!!!11!!"
Hm...it is basically impossible to take away RC's ability to make things, including worktable recipes, but this is interesting...

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Hm...it is basically impossible to take away RC's ability to make things, including worktable recipes, but this is interesting...

I'd basically disallow access to anything that would allow progression in the mod but keep heavy documentation on what to do in HQM's Quest Book. Imagine a Prison Server with way more jobs than just mining or killing and way less abusive admins... Except it's not a server, or takes place in a prison

Tread lightly. If we play our cards right, the dragon may yet be swayed to our cause.

XD! I wouldn't say swayed... More like we're pitching an idea to him and he's that smelly corporate big wig who says whether the game is canceled or simply sent to some dude in China... except he's not a big wig, or smelly

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'd basically disallow access to anything that would allow progression in the mod but keep heavy documentation on what to do in HQM's Quest Book. Imagine a Prison Server with way more jobs than just mining or killing and way less abusive admins... Except it's not a server, or takes place in a prison
Then no. Whether or not it is handled properly, it falls under the "will cause accusations of favoritism" category.

he's that smelly corporate big wig
RAWR

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
he2Uyqi.jpg

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019

The manpowered turbine from mariculture could be used in conjunction with the machine from TE that makes crops in a magic box, otherwise the only thing I can think of is fluxed crystals' growth stuff.